Make Magic Soup

I don’t know where the myth comes from that Texas winters are warm. Maybe in Austin… But then again, I heard that even they got some snow this week! Weather it be cold or warm, one can always count on soup. (And yes, I’m aware of the spelling error in that sentence.)

Copy of z 171

“Magic Soup” isn’t so much a recipe as a technique.

I’m betting a lot of you already make magic soup and just call it something else.  I call it “magic soup” because it is quick and easy, and it transforms one dish into something totally different—like magic!  (The photo above is cauliflower magic soup.)

Have you ever made a recipe yielding so many leftovers that, by the fifth day of eating it, you were screaming, “I don’t want to look at this recipe ever again!”?  Enter Magic Soup.

All you have to do is throw your leftovers—be it a stir fry, casserole, curry, or whatever—into a bowl or blender with some liquid (broth, milk, water) and pulverize to make a creamy soup.  (You can leave some of the leftovers un-pulverized for a chunkier soup.) Magically, your boring leftovers have morphed into something totally new and exciting.  Samantha Stevens would be proud.

ss

Question of the Day:

What would be (or what is) your ideal meal to Magic Soup-ify?

1. It is so cold here today – in the 20s! I could really go for some soup. :)

2. Pam says:

We’ve got a dusting of snow right now, but it is in Ohio..lol!!

Enjoy!

3. molly says:

it snowed in houston too (but it was still in the upper 40s) and now it’s back into the 60s.
    love texas!

4. Gena says:

It snowed this weekend! Brrr.

Love the magic soup notion — as you know, I’m all about preparation methods, rather than recipes!

5. lexi. says:

Love your magical soup creations! They look so hearty, warm and wholesome :) I love potatoes, so some kind of cheesy potato magical soup would be my first pick !

Have a lovely day!
    ~Lexi

6. Jessica says:

I don’t think I’ve ever soupified anything before, but I’m willing to give it a try. The possibilities are endless!

I just tried that same Vigor dark chocolate this weekend – yum!! :)

7. I made soup last night because it was so cold here (in NH). I’m actually shocked that it’s that cold in Texas!

8. tangerinesandmarmalade says:

Once the snow comes, I eat soup like its my job. So nommy and so many different flavahs.
    And that curry? gasm.

9. Judy says:

Just had to comment on the Austin crack. :)

First, they just got flurries, no real snow. After having lived myself in Austin for 17 years, I know that it can get cold in TX in the winter. But here’s the difference (varies depending on where you live, of course): the cold doesn’t stay around long.

We moved back to NY (close to where I grew up) 6 months ago. I guarantee you the winters here are a little harder! But the summers in Austin were brutal (I still loved living there, and miss it).

10. Sarah A says:

20-30 degrees? Your morning runs must be chilly! That’s the perfect excuse, not that one is needed, to make any veggie into soup. Red peppers are one of my favorite things to soupify be it roasted, sauteed or even raw peppers. Dinner for tonight is now planned : ) Stay warm!

11. It’s in the 30’s in DC….
    My magic soup would be creamy and cheesy… oh, and healthy too…. that’s why it magical 😉

12. Chrysta says:

Great idea! Definently a good way to give old leftovers some new life! Not to mention soup is just abut the perfect food right with all this cold weather. Nice and warm!

13. Kristie says:

No snow here…although on Saturday the rain turned to slush rain for a few minutes and I thought we were going to get snow! I was very excited until it turned back to super cold rain again…

I generally make soups, so I don’t have leftovers to soupify! But I might be soupifying my creamy potatoed vegetables if they make it past Tuesday…

14. Jenny says:

ever since the weather has dropped under 40 degrees I have been eating my weight in soup.. it makes me happy :) almost as much as you do 😉 love ya!

p.s. you’re SOUPer! ah, I hate myself.

15. JCD says:

Blended soups are some of my favourite!! Blended potato broccoli soup is worth its weight in precious stones in our house. I’ll have to try your blended leftovers idea – sounds interesting,

It’s -40 here now (with the wind) so it will be steamy soup for supper all week.

16. Such a creative post again :). And you have such great pics and ideas. Love the throw to Bewitched…have not seen that show in ages. And those are the best kind of shows :)

17. It is raining here in California, which is wonderful because we need it so much.
    Katie that curry looks so amazing!

18. lindsey says:

hmm…i’m envisioning like mexican food ideas…maybe enchilada?? nom :)

♥ lindsey

19. Still need to make my banana hammock. Need to buy bananas. All of ours are frozen.

It does get cold in Austin. I’ve ran a half marathon down there twice. February 2003 and February 2005 or 2006. Can’t remember, but for both races, it was in the 30’s. BRRRR.

I need to eat more soup. So easy in the Vita-Mix.

My ideal meal to soup-ify? Roasted kabocha. :)

20. MarathonVal says:

Ok CCK, I have a challenge for you. I already made a soupified meal – of veggie and beans, it’s like a hummus puree – and now I have too much leftovers of THAT! Haha, and I’m trying to recreate the soup into something else since I’m sick of it. Let me know if you have any bright ideas 😉