Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

The Trick to Melting without a Microwave

Here it is:

A Candle Warmer!

znyc 675

Looks rather boring, yeah?

But it’s not!  It’s a really cool tool, good for so much more than warming candles.  You can use it to melt or warm coconut butter, vegan butter (yay—no splattering/popping, which is what happens if you try melting vegan butter in the microwave), peanut butter, etc.

While I eat my Chocolate Mudslide Oatmeal (or whatever else I’m eating), the coconut butter does its thing on the candle warmer.

znyc 681

Then, when I’m ready for it… it’s ready for me too!

But the candle warmer has another use…

Ever get annoyed at how warm beverages lose their warmth rapid-fast?

znyc 313

Voila!  Keeps your tea, hot water, etc. piping hot while you enjoy the rest of your meal.  How much more could you possibly ask of a gadget that only costs $5 to $10?!

1. Pam says:

Nice idea!

2. That is such a great idea, girl!! :)

3. VeggieGirl says:

Love this idea! Thank you!

4. lexi. says:

you are too smart! what an excellent idea!!

5. Lindsay says:

What a great little gadget! And that mudslide outmeal looks outrageous.

6. Very clever! Too bad I don’t have a candle warmer 😉

7. Kristie Lynn says:

You know, one Christmas my mother-in-law (not at that time though) gave me a mug-warmer… so like the candle warmer but that is specifically for mugs of tea and such and came with a mug. If only I could figure out where it ran off to….

8. Roselie says:

this is so handy!! thanks for the idea!!

9. Holy gadget– that is AWESOME.

10. Jessica says:

You have a knack for turning every day items into something fab! I have one of those things buried in a closet somewhere…

11. Nice thinking! I betcha you could warm wax to shave with, melt chocolate, get water warm for tea, and get your candle action going…all with one appliance. I LOVE it and the way you think :)

12. Ricki says:

You know, as someone who spends most of her day at her desk, I’ve always thought of that gadget as a coffee warmer (or in my case, tea)–my mug is on it most of the day. But a candle warmer?! Would never have thought of it! :)

13. You are too cute my dear.

14. That is a great idea!!

I really love that cup too!!

15. Abby says:

Genius.. I have one shoved in my closet.. its simply taking up space right now. Great idea, Ms. Katie :)

16. Very cool. I’ve never heard of a candle warmer before! I will investigate!

p.s. I went to babycakes the other day and split a lemon spelt cupcake and a chocolate spelt cupcake with my friend.

We both agreed they tasted more like muffins than cupcakes. A little dry/dense. But we thought they were pretty good otherwise! I really liked the lemon one (I am a big lemon fan though). And I made sure not to try the ones you said were bad!

17. I used to use one of those warmers to keep my coffee warm on my desk, but I kept spilling coffee on it and it eventually stopped working. I should get another one to use to melt my coconut oil in the mornings. I slather on coconut oil after my morning shower in the winter because my skin gets ridiculously dry.

18. Chrysta says:

Great idea girl! Thanks!!

19. That’s a great idea! Excuse me for being dense, though, but why do candles need warming? I mean, they get lit on fire in the first place…maybe it’s to enhance the smell?

Oh and just so you don’t think I let National Chocolate-Covered anything pass by without notice, I definitely enjoyed a delicious chocolate-covered pretzel yesterday. In fact, I think I’ll officially extend that holiday into today and do the same again. I have that power, you know.

20. Cassie says:

i must get one of these!!

21. jen says:

what a great idea!

22. Jenny says:

you are so innovator girl – I am in awe of the way your brain works! gimme some of that genius 😉

23. tabitha says:

great timing!
    our microwave just died a couple weeks ago and we are not going to replace it because of the questionable safety issues….
    love the candle warmer trick!

24. Melinda says:

Nice idea. That is a good one for college dorm living.

25. janetha says:

oh my gosh. what a genius way to keep my coffee warm!

26. Kate says:

cute panda mug! i’ve been wanting one with a lid like that.

27. I saw those on an end-cap at Michaels. Totally buying one next time I go there. Brilliant Katie!

28. What a great idea Katie!

29. Meredith says:

I’m glad you put a picture of this, because I just became aware of candle warmers the other day! Please tell me: what is the point of warming something that you are setting on fire? I just don’t get it! I mean, it cant’ get much warmer than that, right?

30. Trail says:

I never would have thought of that! I have a candle warmer tucked away in a closet somewhere… if only I can remember which one! When I find it, I’ll definitely relocate it to the kitchen for such ingenious purposes as these.

31. Katie says:

Most creative thing I’ve seen all day! I LOVE it! I may have to pick one of those up for my tea.

32. Christina says:

Wow, I would have never thought of this. I like the idea of a tea warmer!

33. Hey katie i have a question…i love my food piping piping piping hot!! and i want to get one of those personal food stone warmer things that keep your food hot as you eat it like a hot plate…but they’re so expensive! do u think a candle warmer is hot enough to do the job or no?

34. Michal says:

Genius! I never thought to use it that way :)

35. Katie says:

I totally covet your Panda mug!

36. Emily says:

Seriously, Katie. How are you so creative? I would have never thought to use a candle warmer to heat food. And I love that it’s so portable!

37. BroccoliHut says:

Aha! I knew that contraption was good for something useful! I have one but never use it for its intended purpose. Thanks for the idea:)

38. melissa says:

Katie, Genius! What a nifty contraption :)

39. Hahaha, that was NOT what I was expecting. Way to be a genius Katie, I don’t think I ever would have thought of that. :-)

40. CaSaundra says:

Wow is this a good idea!!! I have a huge jar warmer too that would be perfect. Super creative idea dear :-)

41. plamarie says:

I love the candle warmer idea! I hate putting the bottle of coconut butter and raw honey in the microwave to get it soft. Nice work Katie :)

42. Marianne says:

Candle warmer? Why would one need to warm a candle? I’ve never even heard of such a thing.

43. Phyl says:

This is such a wonderful and useful idea! I was taking the jar and putting it into a pot of boiling water. But, it sometimes left a oily film in the pot. I love this idea because it’s one less dish to wash. Thank you, thank you and thank you!

44. The Vegan! says:

Oh my goodness — just the other day my mother bought me that exact panda tea set from Cost Plus World Market. I love it, its so cute! small world huh…
    And what a great trick, i’m a bit skeptical of microwaves too. Thanks for the great blog.

45. Riley says:

This may sound like a dumb question, but could you melt regular grass-fed butter you buy at the store in a candle warmer just like this? i’ve never used on so i do not know hot they get. Thanks for any feedback if anyone has success with this.