Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Tricks Of The Trade

The Melted Banana Trick

znyc 214

With Brownie Batter Oatmeal.

The Plump-Up-Raisin Trick

Question of the Day:

Do you have any “tricks of the trade”?  I know someone who received $50 for sharing the idea “to cut up pizza with scissors” to Good Housekeeping!

1. Jocelyn says:

I always cut my pizza with scissors! In fact a few days ago I was doing that and a friend was so shocked (and a bit disgusted with me!)..The horror. It is the easiest way to cut pizza lol

2. VeggieGirl says:

LOVE the tricks!! Delicious :)

Mine is just to let hempmilk-drenched cereal sit for a bit – makes the cereal have a thicker consistency, which I love.

3. Katie says:

Yummy!! Love the carrot cake pizza love!!!! When i was little I used to love melted Hershey Kisses, so I would put a bunch of hershey kisses, still in the wrappers, but unfolded a little, and put them on the heating vent on the floor!!! THe heat would melt those little babies up so they would melt in my mouth!!! Hahaha!! Loved it!!!

Hope you have a great Sunday love!!!! xoxo

You will find a header or new design you love, sometimes those things take time, I know Im so picky sometimes when it comes to stuff like that, it takes me forever!!! xoxoxoxo

4. My friend showed me that she cut her food with scissors and I was blown away lol. Too bad I don’t have any clean scissors…
    One of my “tricks” is that I freeze EVERYTHING. Tomato paste, garlic, herbs, etc. I don’t like wasting food!

5. Adam says:

Don’t worry about the site, it looks great either way, and content is definitely the most important aspect, regardless of what anyone else says!;) I am pretty sure this doesn’t fall under the category of “trick” but when i am steaming baby brussels or broccoli, i drain the water after about 5-10 minutes but don’t turn the burner off for a couple to let the tips/edges crunch up!:)

6. Meredith says:

I just changed my header recently too . . . it’s such a difficult decision!
    I did a service project in Jamaica a few years ago, and we walked everywhere (about 6 miles a day) in the heat, so I LOVED this trick my host mom told me: fill your water bottle up halfway in the evening, and then stick it in the freezer. The next morning, fill it the rest of the way with water. You’ll have nice cold water all day long as the bottom ice half melts! :)

7. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce says:

I love the melted banana trick, so perfect in oats! I’ve never attempted cookie dough oats, but now I’ll have to try. I like the way your whole site looks, but of course do whatever you like best! A tip for getting pomegranate seeds (or are the called arils?) out of the fruit: cut the pomegranate in half and submerge in a BIG bowl of water. Stick your hands in there and separate the seeds from the pith…the seeds will float to the top and everything else will sink, just scoop out your seeds and you’re ready to go!

8. Jess says:

It’s not a trick, but practicing mise en place makes cooking a zen-like experience.

On the flip side, and this is a trick, to save time when I have a lot of chopping to do, I chop things in the order of needing the most time to cook to least time, and just add the ingredients as I go along – by the time I’m done chopping one thing, the things before it have cooked long enough that everything tends to get done at the same time! I love that.

Also, smoothies are the best way to use up bananas or spinach or whatever that’s maybe a bit over-ripe or just that side of its use-by date. Healthier than banana bread, right?

9. Carbzilla says:

Wha? I cut up salmon with a pizza cutter and didn’t get a darn thing! Plus I subscribe to GH! That’s an atrocity!

I’m gonna gripe for a second: we have a pizza place here that serves its pizza uncut. I don’t know what they expect you to do but they do have a couple pair of scissors in the place. I guess you have to wait until the scissors are available to cut your pizza. Some people think it’s quirking, but I’m in the “What a pain the b*tt” category myself.

I’ll love you’re header whatever you come up with!

10. Vanilla says:

A trick I like…

Fruit syrup :)

I can’t believe the number of people who heat the stove, add sugar to their berries and stand 10-30min stirring, waiting…just for a simple blueberry syrup on top of their pancakes.

I love the Plump Raisin Trick. My main problem is…when you cook the raisins with the oatmeal, it’s not as pretty as if you sprinkle it on top because they all sank, lol. Dilemma, dilemma!

p.s: you use chopsticks???? 😀

11. Naomi says:

ahh carrot cake pizza/!?! sounds amazing! love the new header girl!!! keep doing what your doing :)

the best is when bananas get all melty in oats, they create such a natural sweetness that is to dieee for!

happy sunday!

12. devan says:

great tricks :)
    I need brownie batter oatmeal… yummm

and that kuzu soup looks AWESOME

13. Jenny says:

I don’t know how I would function without you and your culinary brilliance. Okay, I don’t know how I would function without you period.

14. Wow never heard of cutting pizza with scissors but hey, whatever works!
    I don’t have a microwave so no banana tricks there.

Kozy Kuzu Soup looks tasty!

15. candice says:

First of all, I think your candle warmer idea is brilliant, especially for the cold wintry months ahead! I don’t have any tricks, I don’t think… maybe just putting dried fruits with oatmeal pre-cooking and then cook them so they’re plump and their sweetness has permeated into the oats.

I’ve never made pizza, but I’ll try using scissors if I do?! Haha :]

16. Nicole says:

The cookie recipe I made today was a melt without the microwave trick and I was SHOCKED it worked as well as it did!

17. Katie says:

I wish I had some tricks, but I just make everything hard! EEK! So I spent a week in the Big D and am trying to figure out the running scene because the roads by where I’m living are straight up concrete and not going to work out on the knees :/

18. katieee uve been posting up a lot of the carrot cake and im drooling just looking at it constantly…i must make them soon to satisfy my cravings 😀

19. Emily says:

Oooh, carrot cake pizza sounds amazing. I wish I had some clever tricks of the trade to offer, but I really don’t! I’ve learned a lot of things from the blog world like the whipped banana in oats, etc.

20. I like that blue bowl 😀 perfect for the oatmeals . I wish I have more colorful plates than just plain white ones 😀

21. gina (fitnessista) says:

i LOVE the new header. it’s perfect 😀
    that carrot cake pizza is calling my name! looks amazing..i would like to swim in coconut butter. with mouth wide open 😉
    hope you’ve had a wonderful weekend!

22. Jess says:

I have no tricks, but I sure do love all the ones being shared! :)

LOVE the new header!
    <3 jess

23. OK, I’m so mad at myself. Went to Michael’s twice this weekend and did not get a candle warmer. Totally forgot. So very sad for me. :(

Love the looks of that carrot cake pizza. Every time I see it, I want to get in my kitchen and start baking, and I LOVE plumped us raisins – the only way to eat them!

“tricks of the trade” I love cutting up a stack of pancakes or waffles with a pizza cutter. Doesn’t work so great with scissors.

I like the new look. Is that Katie Font I spy? 😉 If you need any help, Zesty Cook helped me out a ton. He’s great!

24. Lindsay says:

You have such pretty bowls!! And leave it to you to create something as decadent sounding as carrot cake pizza 😉

25. CaSaundra says:

All your tricks of the trade sound DELISH! My newest one was the one I just posted about melting choc chips the easier/less messier way!

26. Ashlei says:

My favorite trick of the trade is buy bags of spinach when it’s on sale and freezing it for green smoothies later! :)

27. Trail says:

My parents always cut our homemade pizzas with scissors, so I didn’t know it was ever a secret! Tricks of the trade, let’s see. I make green monster breakfast smoothies en mass to prepare for the busy work week. I use the POM tea glasses with their lids to keep it all fresh in the fridge. It helps keep me on track for the week when I don’t feel up to prepping anything in the early morning.

P.S. Thanks for the link love!