Make your own Liquid Crack

(Oh boy will I probably regret this title when I see the resulting Google searches it may get.).

A few years ago, I ventured into a little, unknown cafe in NYC called Bonobos. Although the cafe was quaint, it was also very quiet.  My mom and I were the only ones in the joint for the entirety of our visit. Fast forward to this past summer.  Once again, I made my way into Bonobos, which was just as quaint as I remember it.  However, the cafe was definitely not as quiet!  Not only did the line snake out the door, there was even a camera crew filming a news segment on what has become one of NYC’s most-popular raw-food restaurants.

In need of a snack, I knew I had to try their famous Coconut Chai. This stuff was awesome: so thick and spicy-sweet.  Unfortunately, at $5 a pop, it was also expensive.  (Why are raw foods so expensive?!)  Therefore, I went home and attempted to recreate the luscious brew. First things first: I needed to crack open a coconut.

znyc 018

I put the coconut on its side, made a cut in it with a sharp knife, then pounded the knife into the coconut with another knife. I am sure there is an easier (and less dangerous!) way to open a coconut, but this worked for me. After a bit o’ trial and error, I encountered the elusive Bonobo-y taste for which I’d been searching.And thus, Hawaii in a glass was born!

.znyc 022

CCK’s Coconut Chai

(makes 1 cup)

• Meat and juice of 1 young coconut
  • Big pinch of Indian chai masala (You can find this at an Indian grocery store.  **Or, see below to make your own.  You can also leave it out, for a plain-jane coconut shake, but obviously the taste will be different.)
  • Sweetener to taste (I liked it without, but if you want it to taste like Bonobo’s, add up to 1T agave, or sweeten with stevia or other sweetener.)

Open the coconut, and blend all your ingredients together (I used a Magic Bullet). Drink up or eat with a spoon.  You can also freeze this for an amazing ice cream.  Or freeze, then re-blend in your Vita-Mix for a true ice-cream consistency! **If you don’t want to go to an Indian grocery store, you can make your own Indian chai masala. (Combine: 4 whole cloves, 2 cardamom pods, 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces, 1/4 inch fresh ginger, 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.)

Instructions for maximum enjoyment: Put on a lei, close your eyes, and pretend you’re lounging under a palm tree in Hawaii.  Can you feel the cool, Hawaiian breeze?

cb

If you’re not coconutted-out, try a Raw Mounds Bar to go with the drink!

Sadly, when you open your eyes, you’ll no longer be in Hawaii… unless, of course, you’re lucky enough to actually live there.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. You have the BEST post titles!! LOL! That looks so amazing! I love ANYTHING with coconut. YUM! 🙂

2. Pam says:

ha ha….can’t stop laughing which is a good thing…right!

Henry is very handsome! Coconut Crack…yea….I was wondering where you were heading…lol!!!

Drink looks good though!

Hugs and enjoy!

Hey I was just wondering….did you get my baby-making post? Have fun!

3. JCD says:

Haha, liquid crack! We call addictive foods ‘crack’ too. This looks delicious!

If anyone has some easier tips on how to open a coconut I’m all ears. Hammering on a knife sounds a little too dangerous for me!

4. Ameena says:

How great does this look!! And the raw mounds bar looks even better.

Cute outfit too. 🙂

5. Katie says:

Loving the pic of you in the coconut bra, you are too funny girl!!! This post makes me want to be on an island with that yummy coconut drink!!! Happy New Year to you!!! xo

6. Jessica says:

Happy New Year! It’s been forever since I had use of a computer, lol. I’ve missed reading your posts 🙂

I’ve never had fresh coconut before. Next time I go to the global foods store, I’m getting one!

7. erintakescontrol says:

Seems that any food/beverate I consume often is my crack. I go in cycles with my crack foods. Not a huge fan of coconut in general, but I use coconut milk to cook alot. I’ll have to add this recipe to my “try” list!

8. marisashealthykitchen says:

You are the cutest!!!

Ive nominated you for the Happy 101 Blog Award 🙂 http://marisashealthykitchen.com/2010/01/04/happy-101-blog-award/
    Happy New Year!

Marisa

9. Yum! I still need to try popping open a young coconut. I’ve only tried the hard-shell ones, and those are such a pain in the butt.

10. lz says:

Katie – mmm, this recipe sounds so luscious; thank you for posting it! Will definitely have to give it a try.

And you look absolutely fabulous in your Hawaiian decor. This picture is a marvelous expression of your creativity, and passion and enthusiasm for all that you do!

11. Mae says:

Wow, that looks so delicious!!! I would love to try a chocolate version of liquid coconut crack!! If only I could find a coconut…

12. Chrysta says:

hahah you are too funny! this recipe sounds super delish! What an awesome idea for tropical drinks in the winter. I feel like Im back on vacation! I love it!! Have a wonderful day sweetie!

13. Jenny says:

coconuts scare the bajeezies out of me.. unless they are adorning the breasts of my favorite beautiful chocolate covered goddess, then i’m okay with ’em 😉 you are so gorg!

14. eaternotarunner says:

I kinda love that coconut bra….its hot.

15. Katie says:

Yessssss. I love coconuts, I can’t think of a better treat…next time I see these boogers at the grocery store, I will definitely try this out! Thank you!

16. Veggiesmack says:

Mmmm. I love anything with coconut, and your Coconut Liquid Crack sounds awesome! I’ve never had a lot of luck when it comes to cracking open coconuts, though.

17. Haha this post title is hilarious 🙂

18. Love the name Coconut Crack!! The drink looks amazing : ) I love anything with fresh coconut meat!! YUM!

19. Katie says:

Great recipe! I am not a huge coconut fan, but I keep trying it, because it looks so festive!

20. Abby says:

LOL your post titles always intrigue me, I never know what to expect! Thanks for the stellar recipe! 🙂