The 3000-Calorie Post

2011 Edit:

Recently, I discovered that some people have been using this post as a guideline for how (and how much) to eat. That made me really uncomfortable; I’m not a doctor nor a nutritionist, and I never made any claims that the food from this post represented a balanced daily diet.

Also, as the post is a few years old, it’s no longer even reflective of my current eating habits at all! For these reasons, I’ve chosen to take the post down.

For more on my current eating style, see My FAQ Page.

1. Pam says:

LOL! your in a nutshell alright and one of a kind, but that’s what I luv about you crazy, wonderful, and hiliarious Katie!

Don’t you change girl!

Luv and hugs!

2. eaternotarunner says:

Great post! All of your food looks so delicious!

3. JCD says:

What a day! And I agree with you about encouraging people to eat properly according to their metabolism, lifestyle, and activity level. So many people are centred on eating less to lose weight or eating junk to gain weight and they often do more harm than good. Your notes on the matter couldn’t have said it better!

4. Jessica says:

It’s so interesting to see what other vegans eat. I wish I was that creative with my own meals (I’m one of those weirdos who doesn’t mind repetition!)

5. Mae says:

Mmm What an awesome day in food. I love pink ladies and your recipe for mudslide oats is one of my favorite of all time. Absolutely delicious!!!
    By the way- try mixing Nut. Yeast with hummus… It tastes like cheese and you can spread it on anything you want savory or cheesey!! SOO GOOD!

6. Great post! I hate when people think that you need to eat junk food to increase calories. I eat all day long, a lot of calories, and tons of fruits and veggies!

7. Ashlei says:

Mmm, I love grapefruit! 🙂

If my doctor told me to gain weight by stuffing myself with foods like that I’d seek advice elsewhere. She should definitely bump up the calories she eats, especially proteins and fats (mmm, nuts and avocados!) 😀

8. Babette says:

Your salad and your soup look truly amazing, Katie!

9. You’re so healthy! I love to see all your gorgeous eats. And I love that you can eat that many calories! I’m active, but not (yet) a runner, so I keep mine around 1,700 to maintain my weight. I’m small and I have no need to lose, but I’m terrified of gaining weight. Just wanna stay right where I am forever!

10. Nicole says:

Just a slight correction to your comment about docs: I’m currently a medical student and not only are we absolutely required to take a nutrition course, but there is also a strong emphasis on promoting healthy dietary habits in our other classes as well. This is definitely a more recent trend in medical education, though, so not all physicians have had this training. (And unfortunately, there will always be a few mcdonalds-promoting quacks out there!) Anyway, just wanted to point out that “food as medicine” is a mantra that is becoming increasingly embraced by the medical community.

11. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce says:

i had no clue you could eat coconut butter straight up! i am so glad you posted this. i think a lot of people lately have been comparing what they eat to what bloggers eat in a not so healthy way (ie, i eat way too much, i need to eat like so-and-so) and they don’t realize that everyone has different needs and if you’re active you DEFINITELY need to eat accordingly! ugh that dr’s advice pisses me off too. one (clearly ignorant) doc i saw when i was first struggling with my ED suggested that i just “load up on bacon and eggs.” uh..thanks.

12. Cute acorn cap. hee hee.

So I really don’t get why a doctor would say to load up on
    such unhealthy food, even though they don’t get much training in nutrition, it just doesn’t make sense.

There are alot more vegan athletes now and they load up on nutrient dense foods and healthy foods. Adding a vegan protein powder to their diet, flax, hemp and other stuff adds to the calorie intake.

13. Marina says:

I really like your approach to eating. Great post 😉
    I love that banana hammock 😉

14. Nicole,
    I’m so so glad to know that finally doctors are being required to take nutrition courses! Sadly, though, many of the doctors practicing today went to medical school when it wasn’t a requirement. But it’s great to know that things have changed! 🙂

15. Jess says:

Woah thank you so much for posting this! I can’t believe how much you get to eatand still stay so skinny! Honestly when I first saw your photos, I figured you must be eating not much at all to stay so skinny. But now I’m so jealous! I run a lot too, but I could never eat that much and stay skinny. Can I have some of your metabolism? You should market it haha!
    Where do you put it all? 😉

16. Cindy,
    I photoshopped the hat onto my head ;).
    So, technically, it was free LOL!

17. Jean @ BelezaJean says:

Love this post Katie! So inspired by your fabulous lifestyle and eating choices!

I’m currently “flirting” with Vegan eating and I’d really like to advance the relationship to the next level:) Are there any Vegan books/cookbooks that you could recommend that would suit both a busy and frugal lifestyle (struggling to afford my last year of law school currently…)

Any recommendations you have would be wonderful!

18. Melinda says:

Wow, I think the calories from your heart healthy fats make them add up quickly. So when you mention eating when not hungry, with patients in the hospital, if they are not hungry we can add fat to add calories with out adding too much extra volume. So all of your healthy nut eating makes those add up quickly and give you the energy you need for your running.

19. Veggiesmack says:

Nom! It all looks delicious! Especially the mudslide oatmeal!

I went to a dermatologist once who couldn’t understand how it was possible to be overweight on a vegetarian diet. Hello! If you expend fewer calories that you eat, you gain weight. Doesn’t matter what you eat.

1. Liz says:

I think it has a lot to do with WHAT you eat… some vegetarians will still eat loads of cheese and bread/carbs. If they were eating mostly “vegetables” it wouldn’t make sense… however there are sooo many unhealthy vegetarians.