Just A Spoonful Of Sugar

You’ve seen Mary Poppins, right?  It’s such an adorable movie!

After I wrote this title, I realized that I haven’t seen it in years. It’s been entirely too long since I watched Dick Van Dyke dancing on rooftops, Julie Andrews singing about funny words, children jumping into chalk drawings (I wanted the ability to do that!)… and how cute is the scene where they’re all floating on the ceiling?!

Sometimes, a girl’s gotta have her sweets. And as long as there’s no medical reason to stay away, I believe that a little real sugar in one’s diet is perfectly fine and healthy.

Here are some of my favorite sugar-containing foods:

Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter, especially good for making Chocolate Banana Butter.

Freshman year of college, when I lived in Philadelphia, there was an amazing bakery, filled with vegan cakes (such as the cookie dough cake below).  I usually went with cheesecake or coconut cake.  It was always hard to choose!

Speaking of coconut…

Nada Moo makes coconut ice cream.

As does Soyatoo (especially when stirred into Choco-licious Chocolate Pudding)

Then there is Endangered Species chocolate:

end

And of course, vegan cheesecake.

Question of the Day:

What are some of your favorite foods with real sugar?

***Last-minute addition: I just wanted to highlight Ruby Red’s comment in yesterday’s post, because it brought up an interesting point about how so-called “calorie-free” artificial sweeteners might actually not be calorie-free (i.e. maybe you should think twice if your sole reason for using them is to save calories). Just one more reason to stick with the real stuff (in moderation) and train your body to simply crave less sugar in the first place, instead of trying to trick it with fakes. The body’s a smart machine, not so easily fooled.

1. That chocolate cake above is vegan?!!? Sign me up!!!

2. Megan says:

That cake up there looks AMAZING!! I can’t believe it’s vegan!!

Would you by any chance have any CCK approved recipes for something that is vegan AND gluten-free!?

3. Stefanie says:

I would have to say a couple of my favorite sweets with real sugar would be brownies and cake.

Once again, you write another great post. 🙂

4. Cupcakes! I requested my mom make them for my birthday this year and damn, they were good. 😀

I wrote a semester-end thesis all about Mary Poppins for a history class I took while living London. My prof loved it and gave me a 100! Crazy! 😉

5. eaternotarunner says:

Definitely ice cream and chocolate. Can’t live without them 🙂

6. jcd says:

That cookie dough cake looks amazing! As for my sweet tooth, it prefers natural sugars like dates and fruit as well. However, when I get a more sugary sweets craving it usually ends up being biscuits/cookies, date squares, or agave-cinnamon spread on toast. Although, I wouldn’t turn away from that cake! (I may have to scrape off the icing though – icing is generally too sweet for me.)

Your posts about sugar are great by the way. Natural sugars are best, but the real white/beige stuff has its place. I don’t know if I would want to try any artificial sweeteners though; the whole concept creeps me out a bit. I’m on the fence about stevia, but since beet sugar is produced locally, I see no need to try a replacement made in another country.

7. Christine says:

ice cream, cookies, and chocolate- yum! I love mary poppins!!! I still watch it often lol

8. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce says:

katie, why must you do this to me so early in the morning? there is no way i have time to whip up a cookie dough cake before i head off to class!!! dang you woman! yup, i think the most important thing is to get your body in the habit of craving all natural sugars like those from fruit, and if you want to go for a baked something sweet then it’s ok to have real sugar too! i admit i favor stevia for adding into my quickie recipes for the sake of “saving” calories, but i’d like to be able to use a bit of real sugar if opportunity comes a knockin

9. Ha! I thought about cocaine too but forgot it by the time I commented yesterday! I LOVE sugar!!! I stay away from the white stuff, but I love sucanat and turbinado and evap. cane juice. I’m trying to limit myself, but so far, I’m not doing so well with that. I think I’ve had a sweet dessert every day for the past week or so. Oh well…

10. Have you ever tried Mochi? It’s a brown rice dessert that you can get in health food stores- vegan- I think you would love it- it tastes like a doughnut with maple syrup- heaven!

11. Anonymous says:

just curious.. what is the bakery you are talking about in philly? I am living in the city now and those desserts sound delish!

12. honey and maple syrup are definitely my go-to sugars! oh, and i have a little thing for cheesecake, too 🙂

13. Anonymous,
    Have you heard of “Vegan Treats”?
    It’s a Bbethlahel, PA-based company (vegantreats.com), but it sells cakes all over NY and Philly. Here’s a list of locations that sells their products:

14. Jessica says:

What bakery is that cake from?! My bro lives in Philly and I’ll be visiting in March! 🙂

My favorite food with sugar added is Justin’s maple almond butter – yum! I also loooooove Scharffenberger dark chocolate ( I have a piece every day) and I occassionally enjoy a glass of sweetened soymilk!

15. welshsarah says:

I LOVE Mary Poppins. However, whenever I watch it now the experience is bittersweet as one easter monday, when it was on, my dog got run over and had to be put down. Sorry, that’s a bit gloomy!

My favourite things with added sugar… Lindt 70% dark chocolate! And, I know it’s wrong, but I have a major weakness for Harribo. Yum.

16. Danielle says:

I agree that a little sugar in your diet is completely fine! I’m addicted to granola- I hope they NEVER come out with an artificially sweetened granola. That would be just…wrong

17. christina says:

hi katie! i’m bag in the bloggy world. glad to see you’re still making delicious treats 🙂

18. Lexi says:

PB&CO Peanut butter is my favorite food that contains real sugar. Oh my gosh, so good!

19. Emma says:

I really love this topic Katie! Thanks for posting about it 🙂

20. Jenny says:

my sweet tooth is screaming right now!! Love you, sugar 😉 **bad pun**

p.s. it means SO MUCH that you were willing to come out of the wood work and comment on my post today girl 🙂 you always manage to make me smile lots and lots!