Stevia: the other White Sugar

In yesterday’s post, I wrote my love letter to sugar.

But I’ve become a fan of stevia too. I don’t use much, but just a little now and then can really jazz up a dish. And it doesn’t seem to give me that awful crash-and-burn feeling I get from too much sugar .

ccd

(Above, using a bit of stevia in Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Oatmeal)

Other ways to enjoy stevia:

sdoodle

Make a warm batch of  Snickerdoodle cookies Snickerdoodle Oatmeal

And it works well in any of the following, too:smo

oc

kozy

From the top:

Unlike some of the other brands on the market, NuNaturals stevia powder isn’t cut down with erythritol. (Truvia and PureVia contain more erythritol than actual stevia.) Therefore, you end up needing quite a bit less powder to achieve the same amount of sweetness. Also–and judging by the comments in my previous two posts, others seem to agree with me–I don’t think NuNaturals stevia  has a strange aftertaste. And now Ron, of Nunaturals, introduced me to another fun find I never would’ve picked up on my own:

Alcohol-free Vanilla Stevia Drops

The price is deceptive, because with these drops, a little goes a long way. If you can find them, I very much recommend buying a bottle.

1. eaternotarunner says:

Do you not like the erythritol? That is what we have at work and I just started using it…

2. The Brunette says:

I used to use stevia in my pumpkin oatmeal, but every grocery store in my region is OUT OF CANNED PUMPKIN! There was a shortage… boo! So, I guess I need to find new ways to use up what’s in my pantry. Your chocolate chip pancakes may just be it…

3. Jessica says:

I haven’t tried the NuNaturals brand, so I’ll be on the lookout for it. I always use stevia in my oatmeal because it tastes so good!

4. I love this series that you’ve put together- lot’s of good insight for people navigating their way through the world of sweetener vs sugar-

Great work!

5. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce says:

i’ve been wondering about that liquid stevia but haven’t ever seen it in stores! i’m all over those brownie pancakes and the better’n kozy shack oat pudding! i never had rice rudding until a couple of months ago when i was on a kozy shack kick 🙂

6. Tiffany says:

I still have yet to try stevia… but I am curious! As for not cutting it with erythritol, what do you think of the Stevia In the Raw brand? I think it’s 100% stevia…? Maybe it’s cheaper than NuNaturals. I’ll have to investigate…

7. Agreed on the simultaneous fortune and misfortune on free (but expensive when not free) goodies! my bank account hates me for my love of barney butter

8. Mama Pea says:

You are reminding me yet again, that I didn’t win the VitaMix? Sob, sob, sob.

😉

9. Mmm…whipped cream in a bowl. Katie, you’re makin’ me hungry and I have such a long time to go before lunch.

10. Adam says:

You are definitely right about not being able to find those nu-natural drops anywhere. Sucks that no one ships to Canada either. I will just have to live with your pics of the wonderful things you can make with them! 🙂

11. Evan Thomas says:

Oh, I know what you mean. I’ve boughten NuNaturals now 5 times since being sent samples. I also got suckered in to a full size Walnut Butter after my 2 scoop sampler from Artisana was gone. Those people are good at what they do

12. erintakescontrol says:

S’More Muffins? Holy yum! I’m soooo printing off the recipe as soon as I hit ‘submit comment’ !!! 😀

13. Melinda says:

Yum to all the tasty looking pictures. I like stevia too, but I don’t know that I can find it here.

14. tessa says:

your s’more muffin just made me shed a single tear drop… it’s a thing of beauty right thuur. 🙂

15. Katie says:

I have heard such great things about that brand, I have to try them.

16. Abby says:

I need to jump on the stevia bandwagon.. Ive never even tried it!!

Can I please eat your Snickerdoodle oatmeal?!?! YUMMM.

Happy Friday, Miss Katie 🙂

17. Sarah says:

I LOVE nunatural products and they are so easy to bake with. I will have to agree that my wallet would be in such better shape if I have not been introduced to POM, PB and Co, Barney Butter, and other great products. The life of living healthy.

18. Marisa (Loser for Life) says:

NuNaturals kindly sent me some NuStevia products to try and I agree with you! I have NEVER liked stevia. I tried, I REALLY tried, but blech – it was always too bitter. But, their NuStevia is not bitter at all. I love the convenience of the packets, too. A little does go a long way!!

Now, I have to try some of your amazing looking creations with it!!

19. Heather says:

I use Sun Crystals in my coffee (mix of stevia and sugar) but from everything I hear I’d love to try some NuNaturals too since it sounds like a winner.

20. Stefanie says:

The NuNaturals sound like they would be a great addition to many dishes. I’ll have to keep an eye out for them. Your pictures are making me want oatmeal.