Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Of Puppies and Pancakes (preferably not together)

Did you know that yesterday was Fat Tuesday?

I celebrated with a sweet batch of Carrot Cake Pancakes.

znyc 972

znyc 975

On what might just be the world’s cutest plate ever: it’s a turtle (purchased at the amazing Pearl River Mart).

And what did I spread on top of the pancakes? Look up the word “obsession” in the dictionary and you’ll see: What Katie has with Artisana Coconut Butter. Just one taste of it, and you’ll understand.

In puppy-licious news:

Anyone watch the Westminster Dog Show last night? I didn’t watch much… but I did catch the Scottie! Molly slept right through it. She was not impressed with the winner.

I was excited to see how much attention shelter dogs got during the commercials. And Henry? Well, he ran away after seeing the Black Russion Terrier.

It looks like this Black Russian Terrier could eat poor Henry as a snack. 😕

If, after watching the dog show, you want to go out and buy a dog of a certain breed you saw last night, PLEASE look into rescues! Just type in the beed you want, followed by “rescue” (for example, “Scottie rescue”). There are so many shelter dogs–even pure breds–looking for a good home!

1. I NEED to try coconut butter! I was thinking about it last night after reading your post. Sounds sooo yum!

2. They had the winner on the Early Show (or was the it the Today…?) in any case, she was too cute!

3. Run Sarah says:

I didn’t catch the dog show, hopefully I can see reruns!

4. I tried ARTISANA Coconut Butter yesterday – after not being able to get your amazing-looking Carrot Cake muffins spread with the creamy treat out of my head!

I spread it on top of a Vegan Oatmeal Cranberry Muffin (see pics on the bloggy) ….good news to report: it was DELICIOUS! Thanks for introducing me Katie! xo.

5. Jessica says:

I didn’t watch the dog show, but I have in years past. Some of the breeds are pretty hideous, lol!! Maybe one day Lucas will let me get a doggie! :)

6. liz says:

thanks for posting about looking into rescues. there are so many animals that need a good home, and if you’re looking for a specific breed, like you said, there are likely many of those available.

7. EE says:

I’m ridiculously bummed that I did not catch the dog show. So have you seen Best in Show? I’m obsessed.

8. YUUM!
    Coconut butter must be awesome – it looks so good on top of your chocolate-covered creations!

9. Danielle says:

Omg your turtle plate is adorable 😀
    What exactly is coconut butter? Is it something I could make at home if I had some coconuts?

10. Thanks for posting about rescues! There are so many wonderful animals in shelters just waiting for someone to love. All of my animals are rescues and they have all been great.

11. molly says:

Way to go on the shelter shout-out. People just assume that if they want a certain breed they have to buy it! So not true!

On that note, I have two dogs – one’s a pure-bred Lab that we got as a gift when a friend was moving out of town, and one’s a huge scary-looking black mutt that I found at our family cabin in the middle of nowhere when I was eight. (She’s a mix of german shepherd, black lab, and, as we later found out, wolf. but that’s a whole different story.) I love our lab, but the mutt (who is actually my dog as opposed to the family’s, so I’m a little biased) is sooo smart and easy and loving and calm, and the lab, though sweet, gorgeous, and loveable, is also a little crazy. Bottom line – don’t rule out a mutt!

12. Yes, yes rescued pups are THE BEST!

OK, I think we need to change our blog names: Heather Eats Coconut Butter and Coconut Butter Covered Katie. :)

13. amen girl! thanks so much for promoting rescue dogs, there are SO MANY amazing pups out there who need homes! and cmon now, rescue dogs have a lot more spunk 😉 nice turtle plate!

14. eaternotarunner says:

I agree, please look into adopting before you buy a dog!

15. Yummy looking pancakes! I love tortoises/turtles. I have a story about one we had growing up, but I don’t have time to tell.

YOu know last night on the news they announced that all of those pet stores that sell dogs(from breeders, puppy mills) they have until like September or something to sell all of there puppies/dogs and then they can’t sell them anymore. YAY! How cool is that? I’m not sure if it’s all of California or just our county.

16. Marina says:

I am all for rescuing animals that don’t have home. I am also against pure breeds, and how profitable it has become. And it’s making animals sick and with lot of degenerations.

17. Hela says:

sooo funny u made pancakes yesterday! in ireland its called “pancake tuesday” instead of “fat tuesday” :)
    surely u enjoyed em 😉

18. Little Bookworm says:

Love the pancakes, and that plate is so cute! :) I just wondered if your 24-carrot cake muffins would work with a flax egg instead of egg replacer?

19. Kate says:

Thanks for mentioning about rescue dogs – this time of year SO many rescues & shelters are full of purebred dogs. Too many people give them as Christmas gifts without really researching the breed & end up abandoning or surrendering to rescues.

Can’t wait to try the carrot cake pancakes!

20. The Brunette says:

I recently bought coconut oil for the first time, but I’ve nver tried coconut butter. Reading your blog makes me think I need to suck up the price tag and just do it. The coconut oil makes stir fries so much better, so I’m sure spreading the butter on things is phenomenal.

The thought of a dog show is a little too much for me, but those pictures are so adorable!

21. Katie says:

I am craving some carrot cake! I must make these soon. :)

22. liz says:

oh. my. god. i just bought coconut butter for the first time today and spread it on a (no pudge mix made with applesauce) brownie. amazing! no wonder you are so in love with this stuff.

23. I actually love watching dog shows! They’re so funny! And I love watching the pups.

Ah Pearl River Mart, such a great place, and so close to me. I should stop in one of these days!

Next time I see that coconut butter, I’m buying it! For sure :)

24. Katie says:

Okay, I did it. After reading about these amazing samples for 3 days on your blog – I just gave in, despite the fact that I don’t get paid until Friday. :-) I hope it’s worth it… (just kidding, when it comes to yummy food, I trust you implicitly)

25. Jenny says:

m’mmm I would love a scottie shaped pancake with coconut butter right now 😉

26. The “free” part sounds great…but unfortunately I cannot make the primary necessary expenditure in order to then qualify for the free…
    if it were just get things free, yay :)
    but gotta spend first…so nay :(

27. catms916 says:

Thank you for mentioning that you do not need to buy a purebred animal!! There are a few shelters around me with adorably puppies and kitties looking for homes, but I feel like they get passed over just because they don’t have a certain bloodline or are a little older. Breaks my heart… :(

28. Diann says:

That Scottie is a beautiful dog and a deserving winner. I miss having a dog :(

29. Jessie says:

LOVE watching the dog show, if only to see the humans perform on cue! :)

30. psychoj1 says:

Fat Tuesday? Hehe! Love those pancakes 😀

31. Anonymous says:

Coconut Butter on Fat Tuesday :-) Love it!

32. Coconut Butter on Fat Tuesday :-) Love it!

33. tiffnie says:

34. Michal says:

I missed the dog snow last night I had to work, I was so bummed!

35. I haven’t been able to find coconut butter in my local grocery store…is coconut oil the same thing?

36. Quix says:

That is absolutely the cutest plate ever. That is all. :)

37. Carol Slanetz says:

H Katie-I did see the dog show-and immediately my thoughts turned to you because of the Scottie winner!!It is a fun show-but it is true-there are so many unwanted dogs-and people, for that matter, in the world-it can get depressing.. I love your web site-and am definetly going to make some of the recepies! I will keep you posted-

38. Aunt Carol!! Oh my goodness I was so excited to see a comment from you! :) :)

I heard you guys went to the dog show. Did you see the Scottie? She was so pretty! Made scruffy Molly jealous. No, actually Molly slept through it.

I think you guys would like Fudge Babies:

As I told Abby on facebook, I miss you all!
    In any case, I’m excited to see you at Michelle’s graduation!!