Perfect People are Boring

Did anyone else read the book How to be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days in elementary school?  The gist: a young boy reads a self-help book on “how to be perfect” and comes to realize, by the end, that perfect people are boring because all they do is sit around and drink weak tea.

According to the book, they also have to wear broccoli necklaces. I’m not sure how that goes along with being perfect, but Broccoli Girl approves of the idea 🙂

broccoli

In any case, it’s a cute book for kids.

I get stressed just like anyone else.  And I feel pressured for time just like anyone else.  Just because I’m not writing about my flaws doesn’t mean I have none. Maybe the fact that I don’t like to share them is a flaw in itself?

I’m going to have to cut back on my own posts, too.  I just can’t continue to blog every single day and still have the amount of time I want to spend with my real-life friends. (I love you guys in the blogworld… but I want to spend more time in the real world too, ya know?)

1. Evan Thomas says:

Perfection is soooo overrated. That’s why I love the movie Pleasantville!
    Tomorrow looks tasty 🙂

2. Ashlei says:

Can’t wait for the Artisana-lovin’ post <3

3. Aww don’t worry Katie!! I felt the same way this week: time crunched and I felt like if I put up a post every day it would be quantity over quality.

If you can only blog every other day, it will just make us anticipate the post more!! You are so sweet and nobody will think worse of you because of it.

You don’t have to be perfect, and you don’t have to talk about things that will make you unhappy! My favorite part of blogs is they highlight the authors best qualities so I can use those as my role model.

Hope you had a great weekend!!

4. You never sound holier-than-thou Katie. But you are undeniably funny and beautiful. You just can’t help it!

(But I was also wondering how you find the time to do everything you do!!) 😉

5. Oh, Katie. So well said. Sometimes I get far too personal or whatever in my posts. Any anger and sadness shine thru. That can be good. But I wonder If I ought to focus only on some positives. Its hard to strike the balance uknow? Like I don’t want to “pretend” I am all happy and positive…cause that would be fake and just not the case…I guess I just try to go with the flow.
    But thanks for reminding me that it is possible to try to make something positive in a post even when a person feels like crap!

6. CaSaundra says:

I think everyone has some aspect of their life that may seem perfect from others point of views, but in reality, we all have struggles whether we share them or not. Thanks for making light of it!

7. Monica says:

Ohh a broccoli necklace sounds fabulous…I see brussel sprout rings and onion bracelets making a debut at Paris fashion week! Lady Gaga already has someone working on a hat made out of cabbage and artichokes, so if that’s not perfect then I don’t know what is! Unfortunately, Dracula already stole the whole garlic-bulb necklace idea, thus making it soooo last season.
    –Commentary provided by Tim Gunn of Project Runway

8. Gabriela says:

Aww, Katie..
    I think it´s so cool of you to admit having flaws.
    Besides, we totally understand the fact that you´re cutting back on blog-reading and blog-writing – that takes time, and time that you could be spending with your loved ones, your friends, your family…
    Everybody needs a break 😉
    So, be happy. You have such an awesome blog, with so many readers and fans! Have fun with it. Guilt-free 🙂
    Oh, and have an amazing Sunday!
    You deserve it.
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

9. Katie,
    You’ll always be perfect in my book whether you blog or not. 🙂

10. McKella says:

I don’t think we should strive for perfection, we should strive for balance. Balance isn’t boring, it keeps everything running smoothly so we can live our lives!
    And that sounds like a great book. I love kids books because they aren’t downers like a lot of adult fiction. Blegh.

11. catms916 says:

Everyone always has things going on in the background, but I totally understand not wanting to share all of that. Anyway, if you talked about the negative too much it would bring you down even more. I love reading your blog because it’s so peppy and upbeat, but I know there’s a real girl behind there with a whole life going on. Don’t feel bad you can’t post as much – it’s life, it happens. 😉

12. welshsarah says:

I agree that perfection is SO over-rated (I speak from experience… kidding). Plus, it’s futile chasing after it since it’s an impossibility. The blogging world shall miss you! I love your posts. Good on you for being sensible though x

13. i’m with evan, i love pleasantville! imean the movie, not the concept :). haha broccoli necklaces sound pretty fab to me, but i KNOW i’m not perfect! aw sad that you’ll be cutting back on your posts but it just means i’ll be looking forward to each one even more!

14. BroccoliHut says:

I whole heartedly approve of the broccoli necklace:)

15. You are right on girl about being perfect. I think we all have flaws, etc but you do a great job with your posts with keeping things real and fun. 🙂 That’s what we love most is that you are so happy on your blog which is great! I understand your frustration with keeping up with commenting, blogging and real life. It is hard! Good luck with everything but I know whatever you do – will be great 🙂

16. jensanders52 says:

Haha! I’m a third grade teacher and a group of my students are reading that book right now. They LOVE it!!!! Maybe after reading the book we (as in my students and me, not everyone reading your blg) can wear broccoli necklaces and write about how to be not-so-perfect! 🙂

17. Katie says:

Perfection is overrated. So is feeling the need to post about your flaws though. I would never assume that your life is perfect based on your flaws! Ilove reading and writing blogs because they are usually so positive! If I am in a bad mood, your happy posts are always there to cheer me up!

18. EE says:

Katie love, I say WHAT. EVER. to the people who asked if you had no faults. You know what that is? Their insecurity screaming out loudly and clearly.

Also, you better believe I read that book when I was like 5 and then bugged my mom to let me wear broccoli around my neck. Why on earth she said no still puzzles me! 😉

19. Danielle says:

I never got the impression that you acted perfect. I mean, no ones perfect!? And you definitely don’t have to broadcast your flaws/insecurities. Just keep doing what you do 🙂

I know what you mean about blogging + school + friends + sanity. Do what you gotta do!

20. I think that’s why I had such a hard time posting about overeating yesterday…I don’t want to tell the world about my issues, but I think sometimes it helps. And I think you do a great job of sharing.

Never had to read that book..thank goodness probably would have scared me