Girls Gone Wild

What is something you have done that is really daring or crazy?

In my wild high school years, I did all sorts of crazy things. One fun-but-crazy night in particular: I went to a dance club with my friends, and no one was really dancing because it was only 9PM. So she dared me to go out on the pretty-empty floor and dance. If you regularly read my blog, you know that I sometimes worry too much about what people think.

I kinda had the reputation, though, that I wouldn’t turn down a dare. So I went out there. Then my friend dared me to jump up on this little platform thing and dance. And when I did that, they put me up on the jumbotron screen at the front of the club for everyone to see! But what I found out was that it wasn’t so scary; when it got more crowded, I went up again! And after a few more trips, I convinced my friends that it wasn’t scary, and they joined me up there!! 🙂

Sometimes, it also pays to take a risk with your food. Now what could this be???

aspag

Let’s do the math. Don’t worry; this is fun math: Spaghetti squash + Coconut butter = love! See?  Fun math! It does exist.

Question of the Day:

What is something you have done that is really daring or crazy?

Tags:

1. Hmmm…spaghetti squash and Artisana? I wouldn’t have put that combo together on my own, but I like both so I’ll give it a try! 🙂

Something daring or crazy? It might be sad, but I can’t think of anything in recent memory – I live a pretty tame life!!

2. In college I ran on the cross country team. It was sort of a right of passage to run a “naked mile” on the track in the stadium on campus. So one night some of my teammates and I quietly went down to the track at midnight, stripped naked except for our shoes and ran an entire FOUR laps around the track. Needless to say we ran FAST.

3. I can’t imagine the spaghetti squash and coconut butter combo, but I bet it is pretty good!

4. Jenny says:

I went to Mexico for two days… Without anyone (except a friend for safetys sake!) knowing to meet up with my boyfriend before he went to work at sea! Sometimes I still can’t believe I had the guts to do that!

5. Oh wow…. that is crazy what you did! Me..not such a good dancer so I think i’d pass on that one 😉
    Craziest thing i’ve ever done..hmm… I haven’t done too many crazy things, I need to fix that. The only thing that comes to mind is when I took a trip to Ireland in 11th grade (was that really like 5 years ago?!). We were out in the middle of nowhere staying in this hotel and we decided to walk to the nearest town to go to a pub. Well, we got kicked out of the pub and then we started our way back to the hotel…only for it to start pouring. And I mean POURING. It was like a free shower 🙂 And I guess it was the adrenaline and being in Ireland… well some crazy things happened that night. Including, but not limited to, my friend running around the hotel with a fruit bowl on her head. Don’t judge.

6. my food-related loconess? dipping graham crackers in hummus. i adore it 🙂

7. I knew that was spaghetti squash with coconut butter before I scrolled down, and I bet it was delicious.

Daring or crazy? I packed up after college and moved to Europe. I worked in London and bummed around for a few months. One of the best experiences of my life. Oh, and then there was the time I up and quit my stable job to attend massage therapy school. That worked out too. 🙂

8. Fun math (involving food) is the only kind of math that I like! I love your crazy story, Katie!

9. Emily GG says:

Grilled Sweet Potato slices + Coconut Butter = LOVE!

10. McKella says:

I just bought some coconut butter, and I really like it straight-up, but I”ll have to try it on some squash.
    I’m not the daring type, but on a study abroad trip to China last summer, we were in the Temple of Heaven park on a sunday and people were dancing all over the place and playing music and having a blast, so I got out and danced with them! In front of my group, my professor and everybody. I probably looked like a retarded gibbon, but now I can say I danced in China. So much fun!

11. todayslady says:

Oooh that’s some fun math!! Something kind of crazy me and my friends used to do was dress up really silly to school. I think that’s pretty crazy, we weren’t afraid to be different 🙂

12. jcd says:

Oh, Katie – that is the prettiest dress ever! You look gorgeous!

As for me, I wasn’t much of a wild child. Unless you call rock climbing (outdoors, on actual rocks) and hanging upside down 10 metres (30 feet) off the ground wild. All safely with harness and such, of course. Or backpacking in the woods with my dad and watching a moose walk across a lake – that’s wild(erness). Haha. Nothing quite like your story though.

13. ilanalala says:

MMmmmmmmhmmmmm… I put some coconut oil up on my spaghetti squash the other day, and damn that was good.

I love this story of you! There’s honestly no better feeling than feeling great about yourself while dancing, whether or not a whole crowd of people are watching!
    As far as something daring I’ve done?? I’ve never been really shy or inhibited, I’m loud, outgoing, and good at being in the center of attention, so that’s not where my fears lie. My one BIG fear is HEIGHTS! I’m short, and I’m used to being close to the ground. My other one is my physical limitations – particularly when it comes to strength and outdoor activity (hiking? sports?). I’ve read through some of the other comments on this post and I notice a lot of people commenting about something they did on vacation, which is interesting, I guess being out of your comfort zone frees you up to try new things! In Thailand, I faced down and beat up both of those fears of mine. When we were in the north, we decided to do a 9km hike ending in an overnight stay in the mountains and then river rafting and white water rafting back to civilization. I’d only been on one other hike before in my LIFE, and this was crazy to me – venturing out into the Thai jungle with a group of other 2o-somethings who I just met? I was one of the last to finish the hike (my friend was the actual last – oh we’re such girls), but I was SO proud of myself for doing it and I felt amazing and strong! Later on during our trip, when we were in the south, we were on this really large boat on a snorkeling trip around the island where Leonardo DiCaprio filmed “The Beach”. Essentially, you just hopped off the back of the boat into the water and you would be surrounded by fish. We met these two British guys who were talking about all the cool bungee experiences they’d had while in Thailand, and they suggested we jump off the TOP of the boat into the water – a good 40 foot drop! I was freaking out about it but it’s totally something I’ve always wanted to do, so I took the plunge! When I came up for air and looked up, I saw that I was actually the first person off the boat, so EVERYBODY was watching me! And then I heard like five more splashes as a bunch of people jumped off the side as well, and for the rest of the afternoon, people were doing it, and I tried it a bunch more times. It was kind of crazy (and if you hit the water wrong, damn it hurts) but it was an amazing day and an insane and unforgettable experience.

14. Lauren says:

You should change the title of this post to be “things that are gorgeous”

1. YOU
    2. the coconut buttered squash
    3. the banana bowl!

15. Sarahishealthy says:

I have a spaghetti squash all made up, so I’m really excited to try this! So creative 🙂

16. Mary says:

Hahaha I love that story. I’ve never done anything daring that I can think of 🙁
    Maybe I need to get my butt over to my local bungee jumping place.

17. Valerie says:

You look so beautiful, Katie!
    Something daring I’ve done? I know I must have done SOMEthing daring in my life, but I just can’t think of anything on the spot. But I love tat you’re going to answer formspring qs on the blog now, because I don’t “get” formspring, so this way people like me won’t be left out.

18. Emmy says:

I went for kite surf once. Its unbelievable difficult ant I couldnt even move for several days 🙂

19. I really have to order some coconut butter soon. You make it sound sooooo good! That’s a cute story about the dance club! I only dance crazy in public when I’m wasted…which happens more often than it probably should. 🙂

As for crazy things I’ve done … hmmm, I’ve done a lot of stupid things. But crazy? Well, one night, I went with a group of friends out on the Mississippi River bridge (an interstate bridge connecting Memphis to Arkansas across the Mississippi). We walked along the pedestrian path next to the busy interstate, and then we climbed down a man-hole (intended for highway workers) in the center of the bridge. The man-hole took us down to this beautiful ledge under the bridge and we could see all the Mississippi from there….with big rigs rumbling over our heads. It wasn’t safe or legal, but it was worth every second.