Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Pumpkins And Cream

Question of the Day:

Hey Katie! i have a question- Do you ever have no appetite after running? I know I need more calories, but I have NO appetite and just can’t bring myself to eat anything when I finish exercising. Is it ok to wait until I’m hungry? Do you encounter this? How do you eat when you aren’t hungry?

Yes, sometimes after running, I am not hungry at all! But I make breakfast anyway. It’s really important to eat within an hour of finishing strenuous exercise, to jumpstart muscle recovery and restore glycogen (the main fuel used during exercise). And breakfast always tastes so good that, after the first bite, my appetite comes running back.

Breakfast Time:

silk creamer

You need not be a coffee-drinker to appreciate Silk creamer. I rarely drink coffee. Maybe a few times a month, I’ll drink like 1/2 a glass to really wake me up before a run… but even then, I drink it black. So I was under the impression that there was no use for creamer in my life. Until one day, when I came across a pudding recipe that called for creamer…

Kabocha Cream Mousse

• 1 cup cooked kabocha (here’s how to cook a kabocha)
  • pinch salt
  • 3-4 tbsp nondairy creamer, such as Silk creamer

Blend everything in a small blender (like a Magic Bullet) or with a hand blender. Or mash very well by hand.

Other non-coffee uses for creamer: Pour a tbsp or so on any of my Oatmeal Recipes.

Such as the above: Beauty Queen Oatmeal.

Tags: , , ,

1. jcd says:

Good question, and excellent answer! I never have an appetite after running, but I always make something yummy and eat it. Somehow, I can always get a fudge baby or two down before I go for a shower and get ready for work. This week’s fudge baby combination is cashews, pepitas, and cranberries. 🙂

We’re not big into creamer. Thick coconut milk usually fills in the gap for us. But… I have this great recipe for homemade chocolate hazelnut spread that uses creamer… mmmm… so yummy!

2. Marina says:

I’m never hungry after a run!
    I mean, I don’t run pretty often, but after it, I just have no appetite, and after I stretch, shower and decide that I need to eat passes a really long time.Maybe that’s why my legs are killing me, even 5 days after my last run!

3. I have heard amazing things about that creamer. I don’t drink coffee, but it might make me start to drink it if I try it!

4. I can’t stomach food right after a workout at all! If I feel a little shaky or can tell my body needs something I’ll do a smoothie or green juice.
    I love those Silk creamers! I drink my coffee black, but I love the french vanilla for a treat. I need to get the original and try some recipes!

5. eatandrun says:

Never had that problem. I’m always ravishing after I get back from a run!

6. Valerie says:

For those of you who don’t like soy or can’t do soy:
    Try So Delicious Coconut Milk Creamer! 🙂

7. Ooooh! Pumpkin pudding like that would be DELICIOUS! Brilliant idea, Katie! And I’m always famished after working out, I’ve got no problem with that! 😉

8. McKella says:

Mmm…pumpkin pudding.
    I don’t run, but I make sure to eat at least a little something after a workout. I’m usually hungry within an hour anyway.

9. I find that a smoothie is a good thing to have after a run if I’m not hungry. It’s cold and refreshing and is good for you!

10. I generally stick to creamer in coffee but I may have to branch out! Creamer over some oats… sounds fab-u-lous!

11. I tend to lose my appetite after really long runs. I usually wait 30-45 min and then have a snack or small meal. You’re right about the first bite…it always makes me want more!

I have plain coconut milk creamer at home right now. I rarely buy it since I don’t drink coffee at home, but my mom is visiting and she requested some. I’ll try it in my oatbran tomorrow!

12. curious says:

@ Valerie,
    Hi Valerie, I’m just curious, have you tried the coconut creamer? I was disappointed in it, because it seemed watery to me. Wa that just me? Or maybe you have to use more?

13. Sarah says:

I’m going to have to try kabocha one of these days. You always make it look so good!

14. I’m usually not hungry right after I exercise but my appetite comes as soon as I start eating. I know it’s important to eat within an hour of exercising so I try to do that. If I don’t eat within the hour I sometimes get a bit light headed even if I eventually eat something. It’s a feeling I like to avoid 🙂

15. Jenny says:

I love creamed spinach! And yes, sometimes my appetite is Nonexistant post exercise

16. Sometimes I’m starving after a workout or run and can’t seem to eat enough. But other times I’m not hungry at all. Not sure why it goes one way or the other.

I love Silk French Vanilla Creamer. I’ve been drinking it in my coffee almost every morning for a month now. But I’m out so I need some more and now want to try the coconut creamer Valerie mentioned. Thanks Valerie!

17. christina says:

i’m rarely hungry after a workout, but once i start eating, i go all out! hehe

18. Jessica says:

That beauty queen oatmeal has my vote for next year’s Miss America!

19. julie says:

thanks katie! i’ve always seen the silk creamer at the store, but i don’t drink coffee, so i never buy it. now i will!

20. Mary says:

I know I’m not Valerie, but I wanted to give my two-cents :). I thought that the coconut creamer was disappointing as well. Have you tried regular coconut milk as a replacement? It actually works quite well in coffee, surprisingly enough! And it’s much cheaper!