Sudoku And Sleep

In middle school and sometimes in high school, falling asleep was not easy for me. While my sister could go upstairs, climb into bed, and be asleep in no time, I’d stare at the ceiling for a good thirty minutes to an hour before finally nodding off.

I tried everything: Warm milk, trying not to exercise right before bed (although my soccer coach wasn’t about to change our 7pm practices just for my sleep problems!), counting sheep, lavender on my pillow, etc. etc. etc.

Thankfully, I don’t seem to have the problem anymore.  Perhaps it was just a teen-hormone thing; maybe it was due to the fact that I didn’t keep a similar schedule on weekends. Whatever the case, I’m glad to finally be like my sister and doze off within 10-15 minutes of “lights out.”

Today’s post is not about food, unlike the My Morning Routine post.

henry

Here’s how my nighttime routine goes down:

1. Get into comfy pjs

2. Brush teeth, etc.

3. Climb into bed with Killer Jigsaw Sudoku.

I highly recommend jigsaw sudoku.  It’s a really fun challenge (especially the diabolical ones).  And focusing on numbers is a good way to quiet my thoughts and lull me to sleep. Halfway through a puzzle, my eyes can hardly stay open.

jig

Lazy Henry has no problem falling asleep.

zweb2

What’s his secret?? Henry’s not sharing.

1. McKella says:

I usually fall asleep easily, but I like to read while I’m sitting in bed. Reading homework for Early and Romantic American lit last semester did it every time!

2. I used to have major sleep anxiety! I could rarely sleep, especially the night before a big event. Reading knocks me out, tho!

3. Nicky says:

I’ve had sleeping problems ever since I can remember…I cannot fall asleep on my own 70% of the time 🙁 but drinking tea is something I always do before bed, I love the Sleepy Time Extra Tea!!

4. Kara says:

Henry is just precious!

5. I LOVE your quilt! So pretty! I have an orange one from my grandmother’s house that I wrap up in whenever I’m feeling blah and it cheers me up. Unfortunately, I can’t bring it out all of the time because it’s falling apart pretty badly. 🙁

I love to crawl in bed and read, but unfortunately if the book is too good I’ll stay up half the night reading it! 😛

6. Aimee says:

I wish I could say I don’t still have trouble falling asleep at night. But I do. Sometimes it’ll take me more than an hour, and by that time I’m so wired up that when I finally do get sleep, I toss and turn.
    Kudos to you for the killer sudoku! I can’t even do the easy ones!

7. vegangal says:

yes i am with keri, i like a good book before bed, but if its too good, it keeps me awake because i can’t stop reading!

8. Kate says:

I love tea to help me wind down, but can’t do the Sleepytime…the chamomile makes me sneezy! Zhena’s Gypsy Tea makes an awesome Lavender Rooibos tea that always does the trick for me!

9. Mary says:

I will have to try sudoku before bed. Thanks for the tip! I knew about keeping your room cold. But as one of the many people who finds it hard to sleep, I’ve tried everything!
    Oh and YES I did very much sleep til noon as a teen. Didn’t everyone ;)?

10. I always have trouble falling asleep. Reading before bed does help though 🙂

11. Sarahishealthy says:

If I really can’t get to sleep, I’ll take tylenol pm as a last resort. I know it’s not good to take it all th time, but once in a while can’t hurt.

12. Jessica says:

I love your posts because they’re always so informative and full of great tips. How do you know so much for such a young girl?!
    Happy Friday, Katie 🙂

13. Inspired says:

Hahaha don’t drink TOO much tea before bed 😉

14. jcd says:

Reading by the fireplace knocks me our in ten minutes. I think it’s the blanket, the warm fire, and the soft light that do it.

Summertime is another story. When the sun is shining from 4 AM to 11 PM, blackout curtains are the only refuge.

15. I have trouble sleeping sometimes…it happens off and on. I try not to go to bed until I’m really tired, otherwise I just lay there thinking about what I have to do the next day. It really helps when I block my thoughts and breathe deeply.

16. loveelisa says:

loooooove tea! and that puppy. so cute.

17. no matter what i do to fall asleep, my upstairs neighbors are guaranteed to get up at 3 am and make a huge racket! i think they have a boxing kangaroo up there, a la bugs bunny cartoons.

18. Liz says:

That sudoku looks awesome.

19. ilanalala says:

As a kid I used to have reocurring nightmares about giants eating my house (I know..) so I would do everything I could to stay up as long as I could to prevent the dreams. Ever since, I’ve had trouble falling asleep. I’ve even experienced periods of day-night reversal (and then I watch House where that’s a symptom of a patient dying of liver failure and I start to freak out and wonder if I’m okay…House is so bad for your health) but I’m finally getting my sleep schedule under control. Except last night – coulda used these tips then!

My nighttime routine – I change into sweats, I do a sweep down of the kitchen, do all the bathroom things like face and teeth and whatever else, then make a cup of tea (usually chamomile) and get into bed. I need sound when I sleep so usually I’ll pick something on Hulu that I’ve seen a hundred times (like House…which is probably why I try to self-diagnose a hundred times a day)…

Katie I love these posts of yours. So smart and cute.

20. joy says:

I left this on the other link too but I think EVERYONE should try my favorite tea so I am going to put it here too

I am telling you YUM!