Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Iron, Anemia, and Vegetarian Diets

A few readers have left comments on the post or sent emails asking about how to get enough iron, B12, etc. on a vegan diet. The truth is, it’s not hard at all! Here was my answer to one of the emails:

In terms of getting good bloodwork results, the most important thing you need to be sure you’re doing is eating enough calories. A few years back, when I first started running, I didn’t realize how much I needed as a runner, and I ended up undernourished (I won’t bore you with details here, but I wrote about it in my Hello from CCK post).

My protein levels were low, and I was borderline anemic. But that all corrected itself when I realized I needed to eat more for my activity level. Initially when I went vegan, I made sure I had enough sources of B12. It was pretty easy: B12 was in Luna Bars, my soymilk, nutritional yeast, etc. But a few years ago, I noticed that since I’d switched to unfortified almond milk and wasn’t eating much nut yeast or many Luna Bars anymore, I needed to be more careful about getting enough B12. It’s really easy to see if you’re deficient in B12: Just look at the labels on the stuff you’re eating and add it up. If it’s not over 100%, you need to find more sources of B12 to add to your diet. Except for minute amounts in plants (not enough to count), B12 in a vegan diet is only found in fortified foods. Look for cereals, Wild Bars (my favorite hehe), fortified milks, Luna Bars, some protein powders, Red Star nutritional yeast (a great source of B12), etc. Then make sure you’re getting 100% every day (or more than 100% on some days; it stays in your system for a long while, so you can go overboard on some days and thus have to eat much, much less than 100% on other days). In my case, I’ve added nut yeast back to my diet. Along with the Wild Bars, my protein powder, and kombucha, I’m good to go.

As for iron, if you google “iron and vegetarianism” you’ll get loads of information. My iron levels came back fine, so I don’t really worry about it, but I know that iron is better absorbed when you eat it at a meal where foods rich in Vitamin C are present. Also, leafy greens are a great source of both Vitamin C and iron. But less iron is absorbed with calcium-rich foods, so if you’re taking a calcium supplement, you should take it at the meal where you’re eating the least amount of iron. Fortified foods are good sources of iron, as are beans, blackstrap molasses, some sea veggies (dulse is very high in it), some nuts, greens, etc.

All in all, if you eat a variety of foods–emphasizing whole foods, especially veggies and fruits–and take in enough calories to meet your energy needs, you shouldn’t have to worry much about specific vitamins. If you’re really curious, you can always sign up for a free account on and and log your daily eats once in a while. Or, if you’re worried that you are deficient in something, see a doctor for a blood test. One reference that helped me tremendously when I first became a vegetarian is a book called The Vegetarian Way.  It has chapters on specific nutrients, as well as chapters on vegetarian athletes, teenagers, how to first “go” veg, how to eat out as a vegetarian, prepare veg foods on a budget, and more.  It really is a great book to look into buying.

I do now take a vegan Omega-3 supplement, made by Minami Nutrition. It’s not that one can’t get enough Omega-3s on a vegan diet, but I just want to be sure and not have to worry about it.

Nail art of the day: I renamed the shade “Ipod blue.” When I went to pick up my ipod, I noticed my nails blended right in. (Please excuse the dirty ipod; he’s been around the block… and then some!)

It’s no Watermelon Manicure … but I had fun using my new nail-art pen.

1. Valerie says:

Cute nail art! And wow you really know your stuff. This was so well-written. Not that I should be surprised, since EVERYTHING you write is a joy to read :).

2. abby says:

thanks katie! i was one of the ones who asked about iron, since i think i’m anemic maybe. i’ll look for tht book and also maybe see my doctor too. thanks girl!

3. McKella says:

I’m kinda jealous of those nails. I have the crappiest, weakest nails in the world! Thanks for the nutrition tips; I’m still getting the hang of this on my mostly-plants lifestyle, and this was a big help!

4. Sarahishealthy says:

Woah girl, how do you draw HEARTS on your nails?! That takes skill! I can’t even paint regular polish without getting it all over my fingers. LOL!

5. Great post- lots of information! I don’t take supplements, but we make sure to get plenty of what we need through food. I use Nutritional Yeast for B12, but I’ve noticed a lot of foods are also fortified with it.

BTW, I’m picking up chopsticks tonight when we go to Whole Foods (I bet they have them, right?). So excited! 🙂

6. eatandrun says:

I’m not a vegetarian, but I still really enjoyed reading this post. Thanks for taking the time to write such an informative piece. And thanks for being so honest about your own personal story.

7. I think in general people worry too much that they are “missing” nutrients. I think a varied diet with enough calories should work well for most people!

8. Evan Thomas says:

The only supplement I take is food, plain and simple. Unfortunately, I know certain things like Omega-3 start lacking during the school year because I lose access to fish. Overall, however, I say I’m satisfied at that

9. Ohhhh, pretty nails. Love that blue! I got a pedicure earlier this week and my toenails are now bright orange, hehe. Too bad I don’t have any cute hearts or swirls on mine! 🙂

The only supplement I take is calcium. I eat a piece of Adora dark chocolate every day, which amounts to an extra 500 mg.

10. I’ve never had my bloodwork checked, but I’m always afraid I’ve got low iron. I’m always cold. But that could be a sign of something else, I suppose. I take a B vitamin supplement and calcium daily, and I get monthly B-12 shots at work…so I’m pretty sure I’m alright in that area.

I used to get these awful cracks in the corners of my mouth, which I read on WedMD (hey, not the most reliable doctor, but it’s a start) that could be sign of a B vitamin deficiency. I started the supplements and shots and haven’t had the problem since.

11. Kara says:

Thanks Katie! This was a great email. You’re so sweet to your readers. I learned a lot. I actually didn’t know that nutritional yeast had vitamins. I thought vegetarians only used it because it tasted like cheese!

12. Mary says:

I don’t take any supplements, save for a multivitamin. Like you, I think eating a balanced diet and getting the nutrients from food is more important.

13. Marina says:

I think I am deficient in some of those nutrients, because, although I’m not a vegeterian, I don’t eat meat pretty often, and when I do, it’s not very a lot, and I’ve noticed some deficiency signs, like cracked lips, paleness, dry hair and skin…
    I’m trying to get it all better though 🙂

14. jqlee says:

i love all those yellow goodies. corn is sooo good. i love that its so sweet!

15. ilanalala says:

oh gosh i love you. i’m MIA from blogs for two weeks, I pop by my fave chocolate covered gal, and here you are with my FAVORITE meal and my FAVORITE nail color. Spaghetti squash, bsproutss, toast and jam all on a plate … I always think I’m crazy when I make something like that but apparently I ain’t!! and blue nails are pretty much the best thing ever…i think blue is like the perfect nail color. yup.
    Also, thanks for the info! Anemia runs in my family…I plan to be tested at my next physical, but I try to eat a lot a lot of dark leafies so I hope it’s doing SOME good. I don’t take vitamins or supplements because, honestly, I don’t know so much about vitamins and the nutrient breakdown in my diet so I’m not quite sure what I’m missing (yet). One of these days I’ll get there.

16. I LOVE your nails!! SO fun!!!

17. Such cute nails!!!!

I’ve never ever had any problems with my bloodwork, even when I was vegan. I didn’t even think about getting enough of certain vitamins. I think that I naturally eat a wide variety of healthy foods.

18. Jenny says:

Haha, I still eat gummy vitamins!

19. haha awesome nails! i don’t take a vitamin, but after my stint in the hospital i found out that i have really low potassium and magnesium, which is not good. so i have to take those supplements now.

20. Anonymous says: