The Vegan Wonder Drug

Red Star Nutritional Yeast is amazing stuff. It’s high in so many nutrients!

Did you know that 1 and 1/2 tablespoons has EIGHT grams or protein? If you think you might be deficient in a certain nutrient, or even if you don’t, Red Star nutritional yeast can make a great addition to any diet—especially a vegan diet, thanks to the Vitamin B12 it contains.

quiche

Above, in: Christmas Quiche Soup.

Have you ever tried nutritional yeast? If you have, what are your favorite ways to eat it? If you haven’t, what are you waiting for?

Tags:

1. Meg says:

I LOOOOVE nutritional yeast! I love mixing it with stuff, like hot sauce, hummus, mashed avocados and everythaaang! So glad you did this post 😀

2. MarathonVal says:

Like the previous poster, I LOVE nutritional yeast and put it on pretty much everything. I would venture to say that it is my #1 very favorite ingredient to have around! Love it!!

3. Sarahishealthy says:

Yum yum I’ll have to check out that quiche soup. Sounds intriguing!

4. *Andrea* says:

pizza+dessert=pizzert??

LOVE the uses of nooch. i haven’t tried it yet though, but i’m sure i’d love it! i finally bought ground flax last year and now i enjoy it on everything!

LOVEEEEEEEEE your meal posts! they are always so balanced and yummy looking

5. vegangal says:

happy sunday katieee :). love nutritional yeast. so yummy. quiche too. never tried quiche soup but it looks yummy well have a good day!

6. Mary says:

What on earth is yaki fu??? I’m off to go click on the link and find out. I learn so much from your blog! Ha!

7. I love nutritional yeast so much and since it isn’t available here in Saudi Arabia we order it in 10 pound batches from the US. You’d think that would last us a while but you’d be wrong. I LOVE the stuff and put it on everything.

8. Andrea,
    Haha yeah you got it!! Not that I expected any less from a smart BC girl 😉

9. Bonnie says:

I love it on tofu scramble! I don’t have nooch with many other dishes, though. Not sure why that is!

10. Valerie says:

I missed most of those recipes when you posted them, so I’ very glad for the refresher course :).
    Happy Sunday to you!

11. Inspired says:

Nut yeast really IS a wonder drug, isn’t it?

12. I love nutritional yeast and use it to make dishes “cheesy” normally, but sometimes if I’m serving something I know my son doesn’t like/tend to eat then I’ll sprinkle a little nutritional yeast on it and he loves it! 😀

13. McKella says:

I’m still learning to like nooch. Right now I’ll sprinkle it on pasta, but I keep trying it in new recipes. I’ll try it one way, like it at the time, then never want it again. Weird.

14. Thanks for the recipe ideas! I just bought some nutritional yeast and I’m looking for fun ways to try it :-)

15. caronae says:

I haven’t tried it yet! I see it everywhere. Since i’m a poor-ish college student, I’m afraid of spending money on something I won’t like. Maybe my mom should buy some for me, lol. The vegan mac n cheeze sounds good!
    Oh and I guess that pizzert is a dessert style pizza! Probably involving chocolate:)

16. Diana says:

I have never tried nutritional yeast. I don’t even know if we have it here, honestly. I am curious though since I’ve read so much about it.

17. I like the nutritional value of the nooch, but I hate the smell and the taste. I wish I loved it, I wish I craved it, but I am repulsed by it. I use it sparingly in dishes, and while I use it often, it is difficult for me to handle the smell. But, then again when I ate meat, I never liked the smell of cheese either…

18. Sarah says:

Not sure what I think of nutritional yeast yet. I know that i could potentially love it but just haven’t found the right context in which to have it…

19. Kristie says:

Love me some nooch. I always forget about its cheesy goodness though, I think it needs a more prominent spot in my cupboard so I’ll eat it more often. I love love looove making nooch queso mmmmmmm.

And that pizzert is going to have to go on my breakfast menu asap!

20. abby says:

i’m glad to see i’m not the only one who just doesn’t get the nut yeast thing. i know its good for you, and your dishes all look so good, but it just has a weird taste to me!