Chocolate Protein Icing

Break out your Canned Pumpkin! And fish out those goggles, because it’s time to dive, head-first, into a pool of chocolate protein icing. Chocolate icing so healthy you can eat the entire bowl in one sitting.

Kind of like with the recipe for Whipped Cream in a Bowl.

protein icing

(See, you want to dive in, right?)

“Fudge You!” Chocolate Protein Icing

Makes 1 bowl, to be used as icing, pudding, fudge sauce, pancake sauce, face paint… Wha?? Maybe scratch that last one…

• 1/8 cup (24g) chocolate protein powder (I used NutriBiotic)
  • a bit over 1/16th tsp salt
  • sweetener of choice, to taste
  • 2 tbsp canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree (about 30-35 grams)
  • 1/4 cup water, or other liquid (60 grams) Or more or less, depending on the thickening capabilities of the brand of protein powder you’re using
  • Optional spices and extracts if desired (I used 1/4 tsp cinnamon, to go with the pumpkin theme)
  • Also Optional cocoa powder, chocolate syrup, or melted chocolate, if you want it more chocolatey. And you can also always add fruit: banana, strawberries, raspberries…

Combine everything and mix very well. Eat cold. I don’t bother using a blender for this. A fork works fine. Dorm-room readers, rejoice!

znyc 1130

Other ideas: Swirl into oatmeal, top with granola, use as a cupcake-topper, use in place of hot fudge sauce on ice cream… As usual, the possibilities are endless! A word of caution: If you don’t like the protein powder you start with, you won’t like this icing/pudding. And it’s not meant to taste like the normal hot fudge sauce you buy at the store; I don’t really know how to describe the taste, but I love it!

Tags: ,

1. Devyn says:

This sounds delicious! My favorite way to use my brown rice chocolate flavored protein powder is in my breakfast smoothie- unsweetened almond milk, frozen banana, and the powder.

2. VeggieGirl says:

I love making protein brownie batter/cookie dough (recipe courtesy of “Foods of April”).

3. homecookedem says:

Oh yum, that looks great!! I’m with Veggie Girl, I love April’s protein brownie batter and cookie dough!!

4. vegangal says:

katie please post the recipe for the brownies now!!!! i cant wait i mean i will if i have to but i dont want to they look so yummylicious! your a genius and so sweet too! xoxoxo

5. Kate says:

You read my mind once again! I just bought protein powder and was looking for yummy things to do with it! Thanks CCV!

6. Mary says:

I never got on the protein powder bandwagon 🙁
    I just haven’t found a brand I like. But that icing still looks delish!

7. anonymous says:

My favorite way is foodsofapril’s protein cookie dough. Have you ever tried that?

8. Anonymous and others,
    It’s so funny that you’d all mention her blog because I *just* started reading it yesterday!

I stumbled across it a loooong time ago thanks to a comment she left on mine, and I made a mental note to add it to my reader, but then I completely forgot about it. Protein cookie dough, didya say?? Sounds like I’ve been missing out! I’ve got some catching up to do lol ;).

9. Valerie says:

I wonder if the kiddos would warm to this. Goodness knows they’d love the idea of getting to eat a bowl of icing!

We’ve been making your “whipped cream in a bowl” recipe now about every week! It really comes in handy as a vegan family.

10. Inspired says:

I could definitely dive into that! The water (err chocolate) looks great 😉

11. april says:

Haha, your icing is just like my protein cookie dough, except mine is thicker and has nut butter!!

12. april says:

Oh, and mine doesn’t have pumpkin.. definitely going to try that!!

13. Sarahishealthy says:

I love putting it in oatmeal!

14. Jenny says:

I unintentionally created my own protein “icing” by adding too much liquid to April’s protein brownie batter.. it’s WONDERFUL!

GIMME DAT BROWNIE RECIPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please 🙂

love you!

15. eatandrun says:

Have you ever made protein ice cream? It’s my favorite thing to make. Just Vita-mix ice cream + protein powder :). Maybe you could add it to your chocolate-strawberry ice cream in place of the Amazing Grass?

16. Kelly Michelle says:

omg, I swear we are sauce soulmates (remember the whole nut butter/banana thing) Just this past week I have been eating my natural flavored protein powder blended with carob/cocoa powder, almond milk and banana, quite the same idea no?

17. Run Sarah says:

That is awesome – thanks so much for sharing, I cant wait to make it a I just bought soy chocolate protein powder.

18. Katie says:

Awesome! I hope that you post more protein powder recipes! I am ALWAYS open for new ideas. 🙂
    and..is there are a recipe for those protein batter brownies/pancakes?

19. Katie,
    Definitely!! Just use the regular recipe for the “brownie batter pancakes” below:

But sub protein powder for the Amazing Grass :).
    I’ll definitely try to post more protein powder recipes in the near future. I really want to make brownie batter muffins/cupcakes and I have a plan for vegan ho hos 🙂

20. Kelly Michelle,
    Sounds similar–and similarly yummy!–to me 🙂