When life gives you lemons

What’s your biggest-ever kitchen mishap? I’ve definitely been guilty of microwaving tinfoil before.  And I’ve done the whole “exploding oatmeal” thing more times than I’d like to count.

Then there was that b*tchy wheatberry disaster

But sometimes a “mishap” can turn into something positive.Take, for example, my snack from the other day, a Blueberry Breakfast Pizzert in a bowl:

bluebowl

closeup

I forgot to spray the pan before cooking my pizzert, so it stuck and I had to scrape it out with a spoon.  No worries; I put it in a bowl and made art.

Not just any old art, though: Breakfast Pizzert art!

blueart

1. Valerie says:

*Phew* So nice to know that I’m not the only one who repeatedly boils over oatmeal or forgets things on the stove! 🙂

2. Anonymous says:

Going with the whole protein theme, I’d love to see a post devoted to vegan sources of protein and how you respond to the question of where you get it. I hate that question, because even though I know I get enough, when people ask me, I freeze!

3. Evan Thomas says:

I think my kitchen mishap would involve eggs in the microwave. Not pretty.

4. vegangal says:

post more photos of you we want to see your pretty face katie! 🙂 xoxoxoxo

5. Mary says:

I love everything you post! But I must admit to being partial to those scrapbook pictures. ‘Cause I don’t have one artistic bone in my body!

6. Katie says:

I had a glass dish of enchiladas completely explode in the oven during baking. I have no idea why but there were shards of glass everywhere!

7. Sarahishealthy says:

I’m intrigued by this “hugging but not carbs”
    Hmmm what are you going to hug???

8. Jenny says:

I am the queen of exploding oatmeal and general kitchen mess-making!

And I’m a fan of all your carrot cake recipes:)

9. My mom is famous for burning the bread at family get-togethers. There have even been small bread fires. LoL. I think the kitchen mishap I’ve had most oven is melting spatulas, bags, and such on our flat top stove. I forget I just had that burner on and put said plastic item on it, only to come back to a plastic puddle… whoops.

10. eatandrun says:

I hate hearing my voice too! But I’m excited about “Chocolate Covered Television” 🙂

11. Jessica,
    Haha yes it sounds like an oxymoron to me!!
    I’m writing more about protein powders (and their place in my diet) tomorrow :).

Happy (?) Monday to you, sweetie!

12. I boiled over some oatbran just the other day…so sad! 🙁 I ‘ve also ruined multiple baking pans by forgetting to use non-stick spray and then having to scrape stuff out, lol.

Can’t wait for CC-TV!

13. abby says:

i’m so excited for everything! don’t change a thing 🙂

14. Vegan protein bars that don’t taste like chalk! Give that a go! haha

I’m sure it’s possible, but I haven’t found a high protein one that tastes decent and is homemade.

15. katie says:

my biggest kitchen mishap was this christmas when i attempted to make s’more brownies that had a layer of marshmellows on the top. it called to broil them in the oven for one minute, but instead of putting them on the middle rack i put them RIGHT under the broiler and after 30 seconds the entireeeee pan of brownies was roaring in flames! it was so scared a froze and had no idea what to do… thank god for parents.
    i’m so excited for a video post! those would be a great weekly addition to your blog, or every so often. i also love seeing scrapbook pages, answers to formspring Q’s, pictures from restaurant or other outings, and every other type of entry you do!!! love them all!

16. When I first got my pressure cooker, I didn’t understand the importance of letting the pressure come all the way down before opening the lid. I opened it too soon after cooking some beans, and the beans exploded all over my ceiling. I had to get out a ladder to scrape beans off the ceiling. 🙁

17. i would love see any and all new food recipes/ideas! ive tried so many of yours and they rock

18. adrienmelaine,
    Hmmm… maybe if you added a little protein powder to a fudge baby bar? Haha I’m not big on protein bars either. I used to like Clif bars, but I hadn’t eaten them in a while, and I bought one and it tasted like cardboard!

19. Renée says:

I’d be interested in seeing more foods given a vegan makeover! For example, you’ve done whipped cream, cheesecake, etc. You’re so creative and knowledgeable about what substitutes well for this or that, I’d love to see even more!

20. Katie,
    Your comment made my day 🙂
    (And you have the best name too!!)