Baby Food For Grown Ups

Gerber’s got competition…

Lately, thanks to the (finally) warmer weather, I’ve been craving Faux-Yo.

But yesterday I was being lazy and therefore wanted to use my easy-to-clean Magic Bullet instead of the Vita-Mix.  So I opted for canned fruit, because Mr. Magic Bullet’s tummy doesn’t agree with frozen fruit (i.e. he refuses to blend it).  There was a can of 365-organic peaches (in pear juice) needing to be used up anyway.

I poured the whole can into a Magic-Bullet cup and blended away. Oddly enough, the result reminded me of those jars of Gerber baby apricots.  My sister and I used to eat those as snacks when we were little.  Well those and the plums.  I know it sounds weird, but when you think about it, people eat applesauce, so why not pureed apricots or plums?

Anywhoos, my snack: “Grown up baby food” and a  raisin-less Carrot Cake Sandwich

100_3367

Baby Food for Grown Ups

(serves 2)

• 1 can fruit-of-choice (such as 365 peaches)
  • Oh wait, there aren’t any other ingredients…

Guess I can’t really call this a recipe then, can I? 😉

Blend the whole can (juice included).  You can add sweetener if you wish. I opted to put mine in the freezer for a few minutes, but you can always freeze the fruit (and juice) prior to blending if you have a strong blender.

1. Kate says:

Haha oh you are too cute Katie. I use baby food for stir fry sauce. I know it sounds strange, but it’s really good!

2. Jennifer - jcd says:

You’re not the only one. Blended up fruit and even blended spinach is so yummy. Put them together and you get green smoothies – super yum! No wonder babies like it.

In warmer weather I mostly crave berries. Lots of them. The berry bushes in the back garden are cosntantly being picked over, not by the birds, but by me! Fresh nantes carrots and garden peas are two other summer cravings. Mmmm… delish. Is it summer yet?

3. That’s such a cool idea!!! And I must confess, I used to eat banana baby food when I was younger (erm, not a baby). It was SO GOOD!!!!

4. vegangal says:

baby food is oh s good even for non babies just like applesauce.
    love the idea of making your own with canned fruit its so fun! xoxoxo

5. Evan Thomas says:

I still crave chocolate in the summer even though it melts and that makes me sad 🙁

6. Mary says:

This post came at the perfect time. I have some canned pears sitting in my cabinet that I didn’t know what to do with. I’m going to try making adult baby food! 🙂

7. Sarahishealthy says:

I’m with Lauren above me. I love the popsicle mold idea!

8. abby says:

your so lucky it is getting warm there. its still freezing here! i want cold food season!

9. jcd,
    Haha yeah, babies aren’t dumb ;).

abby,
    Hang in there! Soon we’ll have so much heat here in Texas that I’d be happy to send you our extra!!

10. I used to eat baby food in highschool! lol the pears and apricots were my fav. Sometimes I still eat the baby puffed rice snacks or teething biscuits (what?!! they make good biscotti!!)

Hmm…I never buy canned fruit but I’m loving the popsicle idea. Do you think it would work if I used frozen fruit that had thawed? I’m craving ice cream like crazy these days. I bought some mini ice cream sammies from TJ’s this weekend!

11. Run Sarah says:

I find that if the frozen fruit is chopped up into tiny pieces or let to thaw a bit, my Magic Bullet can handle it! Good idea with making popsicles – or even flavoured ice cubes?

12. Jessica,
    Yes, definitely! 🙂

I bought mini ice cream sammies the other day too! The coconut milk ones… but I was disappointed; the ice cream seemed to dissolve on my tongue :(.
    I like the baby Soy Dreamers though!

13. Valerie says:

My kids are going to LOVE this! Gotta find the popsicle molds!

14. VEGirl says:

When it’s warm and I feel warm, I always want a smoothie- or taco salad, since in summer we have lots of yummy garden produce to eat!
    VEGirl

15. katie my pizzert (which i made and will post tonight) will not make u proud lol. it was more of a pancake.. and my dish/pan was too big for it. but it tasted great so thats all that matters right!?

xoxo have a great monday!

16. Astrid says:

Wait a second, you are from Texas? Wher? I’m in College Station. You are right in your comment, by the way, Katie. It is going to get far too humid. Soon my hair is going to be a huge puff ball and I won’t be able to breathe!

17. eatanrun says:

I used to LOVE those gerber apricots! Thought I was the only one!

18. Anonymous says:

yummylicious!

19. Astrid,
    I’m in the Dallas area. Haha I have a lot of friends in College Station at A&M! 😉

20. I do not eat baby food- but sister, you have got me craving it! Great post!