Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Baby Food for Grown-Ups

Gerber’s got competition…

Lately, thanks to the (finally) warmer weather, I’ve been craving Faux-Yo.

But yesterday I was being lazy and therefore wanted to use my easy-to-clean Magic Bullet instead of the Vita-Mix.  So I opted for canned fruit, because Mr. Magic Bullet’s tummy doesn’t agree with frozen fruit (i.e. he refuses to blend it).  There was a can of 365-organic peaches (in pear juice) needing to be used up anyway.

I poured the whole can into a Magic-Bullet cup and blended away. Oddly enough, the result reminded me of those jars of Gerber baby apricots.  My sister and I used to eat those as snacks when we were little.  Well those and the plums.  I know it sounds weird, but when you think about it, people eat applesauce, so why not pureed apricots or plums?

Anywhoos, my snack: “Grown up baby food” and a  raisin-less Carrot Cake Sandwich

100_3367

Baby Food for Grown Ups

(serves 2)

• 1 can fruit-of-choice (such as 365 peaches)
  • Oh wait, there aren’t any other ingredients…

Guess I can’t really call this a recipe then, can I? 😉

Blend the whole can (juice included).  You can add sweetener if you wish. I opted to put mine in the freezer for a few minutes, but you can always freeze the fruit (and juice) prior to blending if you have a strong blender.

1. Kate says:

Haha oh you are too cute Katie. I use baby food for stir fry sauce. I know it sounds strange, but it’s really good!

2. Jennifer - jcd says:

You’re not the only one. Blended up fruit and even blended spinach is so yummy. Put them together and you get green smoothies – super yum! No wonder babies like it.

In warmer weather I mostly crave berries. Lots of them. The berry bushes in the back garden are cosntantly being picked over, not by the birds, but by me! Fresh nantes carrots and garden peas are two other summer cravings. Mmmm… delish. Is it summer yet?

3. That’s such a cool idea!!! And I must confess, I used to eat banana baby food when I was younger (erm, not a baby). It was SO GOOD!!!!

4. vegangal says:

baby food is oh s good even for non babies just like applesauce.
    love the idea of making your own with canned fruit its so fun! xoxoxo

5. Evan Thomas says:

I still crave chocolate in the summer even though it melts and that makes me sad :-(

6. I used to love baby food. And I probably would still eat it! This is a great idea, and I may have to try putting it in Popsicle molds.

7. Mary says:

This post came at the perfect time. I have some canned pears sitting in my cabinet that I didn’t know what to do with. I’m going to try making adult baby food! :)

8. Sarahishealthy says:

I’m with Lauren above me. I love the popsicle mold idea!

9. abby says:

your so lucky it is getting warm there. its still freezing here! i want cold food season!

10. jcd,
    Haha yeah, babies aren’t dumb ;).

abby,
    Hang in there! Soon we’ll have so much heat here in Texas that I’d be happy to send you our extra!!

11. I used to eat baby food in highschool! lol the pears and apricots were my fav. Sometimes I still eat the baby puffed rice snacks or teething biscuits (what?!! they make good biscotti!!)

Hmm…I never buy canned fruit but I’m loving the popsicle idea. Do you think it would work if I used frozen fruit that had thawed? I’m craving ice cream like crazy these days. I bought some mini ice cream sammies from TJ’s this weekend!

12. Run Sarah says:

I find that if the frozen fruit is chopped up into tiny pieces or let to thaw a bit, my Magic Bullet can handle it! Good idea with making popsicles – or even flavoured ice cubes?

13. Jessica,
    Yes, definitely! :)

I bought mini ice cream sammies the other day too! The coconut milk ones… but I was disappointed; the ice cream seemed to dissolve on my tongue :(.
    I like the baby Soy Dreamers though!

14. Valerie says:

My kids are going to LOVE this! Gotta find the popsicle molds!

15. My sister and I used to snack on baby peaches. So. good. And baby pears too… although pureed pears are almost as common as pureed apples and not quite so weird. But baby apricots sound tasty too! I never had the plums…

16. VEGirl says:

When it’s warm and I feel warm, I always want a smoothie- or taco salad, since in summer we have lots of yummy garden produce to eat!
    VEGirl

17. katie my pizzert (which i made and will post tonight) will not make u proud lol. it was more of a pancake.. and my dish/pan was too big for it. but it tasted great so thats all that matters right!?

xoxo have a great monday!

18. Astrid says:

Wait a second, you are from Texas? Wher? I’m in College Station. You are right in your comment, by the way, Katie. It is going to get far too humid. Soon my hair is going to be a huge puff ball and I won’t be able to breathe!

19. eatanrun says:

I used to LOVE those gerber apricots! Thought I was the only one!

20. Anonymous says:

yummylicious!

21. Astrid,
    I’m in the Dallas area. Haha I have a lot of friends in College Station at A&M! 😉

22. I do not eat baby food- but sister, you have got me craving it! Great post!

23. Beth says:

Hey I just found your blog and have been browsing around – I love it! Great idea with the frozen fruit puree – especially in popsicle molds!

24. Diana says:

Baby food is yummy. :)
    I crave fruit during the summer! Lots of fresh fruit, there’s nothing better, honestly. 😀

25. Beth,
    I’m so glad you found me!! *Waves* :)

26. Aimee says:

That’s right, Katie: We can’t let the babies have all the fun! 😉

27. kalliemarie says:

your chocolate recipes are to die for! :) i also noticed we almost have the same layout as well hahah

28. Catherine says:

Hehe I embarrass the fiance all the time by buying jarred baby food for travel snacks, etc…. I don’t know why, I just seriously love pureed foods!! Especially squash… drool.

29. Katie says:

I’m such a fan of blending foods into baby mush. I love doing it with sweet potatoes (or any squash) – but haven’t tried a can of fruit…my next project. :-)

30. Simply T says:

Wow, I was totally blown away when I read the title of this post on my RSS reader… this is just so random/weird because yesterday my boyfriend was reading me a list of failed products by successful companies from his Marketing text book. One of them? Geber’s single serve adult baby food. Hahaha, you should get on that bandwagon!

31. Rachel says:

Hi Katie,
    Just a quick question- I’ve been perusing some of your recipes, and it seems like for most of your stirfries you use water or broth as the liquid. Why don’t you seem to use oil very often? I know it’s much higher in calories, but there are such good fats in things like olive oil! I know you leave the option open for others, but what is YOUR personal reason for seeming to avoid it? (I don’t mean you avoid it always; it just seems whenever I would go for the olive oil, you tend to go for the water or broth- again not always, but most of the time, according to what I’ve read here). I was especially curious as you said you wouldn’t mind putting on a few pounds– adding some more healthy oils to your delicious stirfries could make that happen in a very yummy way!

32. Rachel says:

also, ps, I was just reading your FAQ, the part about being vegan, and the banner ad on the side was for a steak-eating contest! hahahaha that was hilarious. I know they’re random; it was a funny coincidence.

33. oh katie u are so sweet! i really mean it.. ur comment made me smile and warmed my heart <3

xoxo 😀

34. Simply T,
    Oh my WORD! That is such a funny coincidence!! LOL I can see why it failed though… who wouldn’t feel embarrassed buying that!

35. Rachel,
    As far as I know, every one of my stir fry recipes gives the option of water, broth, OR oil. I can’t think of a single one where I say “water or broth” and not oil. Can you please tell me which recipe you’re referring to?

36. Kelsey,
    Oh sweetie, YOU are the one who warmed MY heart! I was so excited to see your post! :)

1. testing the reply by email thing…

37. I made a cake with normal boxed cakemix and babyfood instead of butter/oil. All my friends thought it was genius (I didn’t tell them what was in it, just what the flavor would be). I was worried it would be bad and never know because I don’t eat what I bake, but there was good feedback. It’s my secret recipe now!
    Plus baby food is an excellent substitute to mix in yogurt instead of buying high-sugar fruit on the bottom versions

38. Justine says:

I love that song!

I crave coleslaw and sorbet, not necessarily together. My boyfriend’s mother often makes it with dinner in the warmer months and it is so good!

39. Loved the post, Katie!
    Baby food is the best :)
    Have a wonderful week!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

40. That’s so funny about the baby food cuz my sister and I have always like the plum baby food, although I haven’t had any in quite some time.

My in-laws have a magic bullet and blend frozen fruit all of the time, I wonder why yours doesn’t.

1. I probably put too much fruit in it!

41. Warm weather? BBQ food and ice cream, sorbet especially! I wish it was summer already :)

42. Rachel says:

I guess I didn’t state my question well- you DO always give the option of oil in your recipes. But I’m asking about your personal use. YOU don’t use olive oil in your stirfries (even though you give the option to your readers). Why not?

43. Kelly says:

Oh my gosh, my sister and I also used to eat the plum baby food as a snack! So funny. :)

44. We got tons of free babyfood for my sister, but she started eating real food before it ran out, so I use it in oatmeal, smoothies, and even baked goods.

45. Damjana says:

I don’t remember eating baby food..I wonder what I used to eat as a little child. I suppose my mother used to cook vegetables and fruits and make a purree.
    There are so many baby food lovers around here 😉