Healthy Chocolate Sauce

Healthy Chocolate Sauce!

About a year ago, I fell in love with Artisana Cacao Bliss. However, my wallet was not so smitten: $11 for an 8-oz jar? In the interest of saving money, I vowed to attempt making my own Cacao Bliss… it turned out even better than I’d hoped!

Healthy Chocolate Sauce or Hot Chocolate Butter

• 4 tablespoons (60g) virgin coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon (52g) cocoa powder. (For a sauce, decrease to 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup agave OR you can use nunaturals vanilla stevia drops (I use 10 vanilla drops, but if you don’t like super-bitter chocolate, triple that amount)

Melt the coconut oil, either in the microwave or on a candle warmer or in a warm oven. Add the vanilla drops (or agave) and stir. Add the cocoa, then add 3 tablespoons water only if you used vanilla drops. Stir stir stir! Stir until it gets thick like Artisana Cacao Bliss.

For Magic Shell or Healthy Chocolate Sauce:

Decrease cocoa powder to 1/4 cup and keep all other measurements the same. Also, if you re-heat it for a few seconds, it’ll get thinner. And if you freeze it, you can make incredible chocolate bars… or even chocolate chips! Just break up the chocolate bars into little pieces.

Vegan Hostess Cupcake

I used this spread to frost my Cream Filled Chocolate Cupcakes.

Nutrition Information (for 2 tbsp)

• 100 calories
  • 10 grams fat
  • 0 grams added sugars
  • 0 grams cholesterol
  • 2 grams protein
  • 3.6g dietary fiber

Or, if you make the recipe into bars, each 30g bar will have 100 calories (stevia version) or 140 calories (agave version). They also have 11% of the RDA for iron and are very high in manganese as well.

Side Note: This is also good on Homemade Luna Bars.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. YUM! I try to recreate things that I see on blogs:-)

2. spoonfulofsugarfree says:

Oh my goodness! I just mad this, and there is one thing I can think of: Give me more! I dipped everything in it: strawberries, bananas, goji berries, pretzels….mmmmmm…..

3. Oh yummm…. I tried my hand at Mae’s version of this and it was amazing!

4. Michelle says:

You give me so many great recipes so i’ll give you this one. It’s called PB Chocolate Smoothie (and it’s completely vegan): 1 cup spinach, 1 block tofu, PB to taste, unsweetened chocolate powder, sweetener (stevia, splenda, sugar etc…), and banana. Put in a blender and blend. it tastes like a chocolate milkshake- no joke.

5. Michelle says:

PB Choc continued….plus non-dairy milk and ice cubes! yum

6. Sünne says:

Oh, wow, now I’ll be able to have Cacao Bliss in Germany, too!

Another question toyou as a coconut butter expert: Do you know whether coconut butter and creamed coconut are about the same? I found the latter but can’t get the butter around here.

7. Michelle,
    Thanks for the recipe! I love when people leave me recipes… especially ones with chocolate involved :).

8. Sünne,
    I think maybe the difference is that the cream has oil AND butter, whereas the butter is just blended-up, roasted coconut? I’m not really sure, but I bet you could google it. I’m sure the cream tastes delicious in any case :).

9. Julia says:

Katie I so want to make this, but am not sure as to whether or not my coconut oil would be condusive to this heavenly recipe!

I use Spectrum Organics Coconut Oil… I didn’t look at the lable upon purchasing (was in a rush) and bought the “refined” kind… does this make a difference? Here’s a link to the product…http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87#j47

This recipe looks delicous, so I may just give it a go anyhow!

1. Mab says:

The refined kind has most of the coconut flavor processed out of it. Some people prefer this kind in cooking since refining creates a higher the flash point (think frying) and also the flavor is neural so not everything cooked in it or baked with it has a coconut flavor. You want the unrefined if you are after the full coconut flavor. Tropical Traditions is a good brand too. They have a website.

10. Julia,
    Hey girl! I’ve only used Artisana, but I really don’t see why another oil wouldn’t work. I even know one girl who used vegetable oil! So I definitely think it would be ok!! 🙂

11. Julia says:

Thank you Katie! I actually took a leap of faith and made the recipe today, adding 1/8 tsp coconut extract just to be safe. MY GOODNESS! Your coconut butter is amazing! Thanks for another award-winning recipe 🙂

1. Julia,
      Aww thanks! And just like with the cake, if you want to send a photo, I’ll feature you :).
      (By the way, I did post the cake shout-out. Did you see it?)

Love and coconuts,
      Katie

12. Jessica says:

I tried to recreate my favorite bean burger from a small, townie restaurant. Unfortunately I used too much egg white, and it turned into scrambled beans….yummm haha

13. Alexis says:

I’ve tried to recreate the peanut sauce you always get at chinese or thai restaurants – it was pretty easy just throwing a bunch of ingredients together that seemed to fit. Now it’s a staple for us!

14. Amanda says:

I tried recreating chocolate almond butter using a hand blender for the first time…and ended up with 11 stitches! My almond butter was ruined but at least I now have a funny story of my blender stupidity 🙂

15. Gina G says:

i tried to recreate this roasted veggie wrap with hummus! it was delicious! =)

16. Demelza says:

Before I became a vegetarian, I tried to recreate the French Onion soup from Panera Bread. The soup itself came out pretty similar, but because of various allergies my family members have (dairy, corn/dextrose/corn syrup/maltodextrin/etc.) I had to use croutons that didn’t really fit the bill. :/
    Other than that, sometimes I will stumble upon a recipe or a mixture of ingredients that somehow ends up tasting like a restaurant food. For example, one time I made biscuits that apparently ended up tasting quite similar to the biscuits at Red Lobster, but the base I’d used was just something I’d found in a Bisquick cookbook. Very interesting.

17. Jennifer - jcd says:

We have succesfully re-created a few items actually: Chicao deep dish pizza crust, Zoodles (that was my husband’s creation), Nutella, and ginger beef, now called ‘ginger veef’ in our house. I can also make really yummy chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and mint chip ice cream.

18. Kelly Michelle says:

Yes I have started making my own hummus instead of paying to buy it. It comes out so yummy and much cheaper!

19. Libby says:

I create my own larabars and I’ve veganized Jamba Juice smoothies for myself 🙂

20. emilie says:

just last night i made my own salad dressing/”honey mustard” dressing with yogurt, dijon, apple cider vinegar, SF maple syrup, and a bit of seasoning salt. it turned out great!