Sweet Beach Party

Last Thursday, I revisited an old favorite pastime: Cupcake Decorating!

On this particular occasion, it was for the club, Circle of Friends, with which I’ve been involved for the last two years.

bw

With only a day to decorate forty cupcakes, there wasn’t enough time to make fondant critters. I had to think of something quicker. So, after perusing the candy aisle at the grocery store, I came up with:

cup3

(Note to vegans: The Teddy Grahams are vegan. The Lifesaver gummies, however, are not. I didn’t even think about the fact that they might contain gelatin until after I’d gotten them home.)

cup2

But the cupcakes, themselves, are vegan (from VCTOTW), as is the Pillsbury icing. I thought I was so clever to put Teddy Grahams into lifesaver candies… but it turns out other people have had the same idea!  Oh well; great minds think alike, I guess.

(The brown “sand” is maple sugar.)

znyc 1503

Please excuse the messy edges.  The nails were newly-painted.

Nail polish tip: Don’t worry about staying in the lines when you polish your nails, and don’t bother taking off the polish that gets on your skin.  It’ll come off naturally by the next day (especially if you take a shower) and your nails will look perfect.  Promise..

Tags:

1. Leslie says:

LOL I love Desperate Housewives! You look beautiful, by the way. The cupcakes too :).

2. Elizabeth says:

Super cute cupcakes! :) You did a great job. And I love the quote – that’s the only show I keep up with haha!

3. Kittie says:

Oh my gosh! Those are sooo cute. I love Teddy Grahams!

4. You’re the most amazing treat maker! I’m known to bring good/healthy treats to parties.. You’ll never see me with the bag of chips and salsa- though I will eat them! haha

5. abby says:

those kids are so lucky! i would’ve fought over that last cupcake too ;). and desperate housewives is the best show ever. the first season was, anyway. it kinda went downhill after that. but i should go back and watch the old ones!

6. Katie says:

How adorable! You are so creative when it comes to decorations (or anything, really). I usually come empty handed to parties, but when I have something at MY house, I go ALL out. I usually make enough food for 10x the people that are coming. :-)

7. Valerie says:

Amazing. I would’ve slapped some icing on them and called it a day. You’re so sweet to be involved with such a great group!

8. Danielle says:

You should totally open a cupcake shop. If people are fighting over your treats then you know you’ve got something good!

And while you’re at it, you should also become a cupcake model. You’re too pretty!!

9. Devyn says:

Desperate Housewives quote?! My favorite :)

10. Ilana says:

I love your nails! Blue nail polish is probably my favorite thing ever. It always cheers me up!

How sweet are your cupcakes!?! I don’t know where I’ve seen bears floating on gummys before (probably on Martha Stewart come to think of it) but it always makes me go “EEEE!” because of how cute it is.

I love to cook/bake for parties. Everyone brings their own alcohol, I bring my own cookies. Booya.

11. Devyn says:

Oh also Circle of Friends sounds like Best Buddies. I am the chapter president of my High School’s Best Buddies club :)

Great club choice :)

12. Kate says:

I second the cupcake model idea. You outshine that cute cupcake, which is pretty hard to do ;).

13. Inspired says:

Thanks for the nail tip. Does it really work, even if you get polish ALL over your nail beds (i.e. not just a little bit?) I’m going to try, because I am the worst at staying in the lines!

14. Jess says:

Looooooove the cupcakes!

15. Justine says:

Those cupcakes are too cute! I love bring dishes to parties, even though I am always nervous as to how people will like it. I have found that if you bring something sweet, most everyone will like it. :)

16. WOW -your cucakes are so cute. I really want to learn to make cupcakes. I bought books to learn how to make vegan cupcakes, but as of yet I haven’t tried to make any. I checked out your past link of cupcakes. LOVE the watermelon one!!!!!!

17. Aimee says:

Both you and the cupcake are so pretty! Oh and the nails too. I wish I were half as talented!

18. Oh, those cupcakes are absolutely adorable! You are so creative, love the life saver inner-tubes (even if they aren’t vegan) and the sand… so so cute!

19. Stefanie says:

Cute cupcakes and I am liking your nails too. You are a very creative. :)

20. Those cupcakes are adorable!! They make me want to make my own!

Last year, a group of friends and I had theme night potlucks once a weeks. We had things like Italian night, breakfast-for-dinner, Mexican, French, dessert, Japanese, we made our own pizzas, etc. it was super fun and I got to experiment with a whole slew of new recipes, all of which everyone loved! The majority of my friends who were involved moved away at the beginning of this year, so we haven’t kept it up, but it was a wicked good time.