Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Liberty and Crepe Cakes for all

Thanks for all your meaningful comments on yesterday’s soldier post (aside from the one anonymous comment that questioned my patriotism—the first anon, not the second, which was very respectful and insightful).

In response to that comment: I believe that it is one’s patriotic duty to think for oneself and not blindly follow the leader. If we simply went along with everything our president might say—never questioning—America would become a dictatorship. As I wrote in yesterday’s post, I very much support the lives of the men and women who have been put in the line of harm. I believe that their lives are sacred and therefore we should send them to protect our country only as a last resort.

I hope everyone had a terrific Memorial Day (or Monday). Mine started out like this:

znyc 1610

Patriotic Pancakes!

Soyatoo, blueberries, and strawberries atop a variation of Oatmeal Cookie Crepe Cakes

I needed a nourishing breakfast after being attacked during my run this morning! I was minding my own business, when suddenly this big, black crow nose-dived at me! Then he (she?) did it again. And again. And again… The bird followed me for about a five-minute stretch. I don’t think I’ve ever run so fast in my life! 😕 I think I’m going to have to give up one of my favorite running routes, at least for the next few months (until the baby birds hatch and leave the nest).

Question of the Day:

Have you ever been attacked by an animal?

Mine: mosquitoes, spider webs, wasps, overprotective bird mothers, and yappy little dogs that want to run with me (lol).

Oh yeah, and Molly and Henry at dinnertime! Attack!! :)

1. Rick says:

wow, if a crow attacked me i don’t know how i’d handle it. the vegan in me would just avoid that route like you’re doing…kudos to that!

i don’t really have animals attack me, ever. *knock on wood* even sometimes when friends bring pets over, they’ll bark or hiss or whatever at some people but act totally at ease and nonconfrontational with me.

honestly, i think it’s because of my high-raw vegan lifestyle that maybe they don’t smell or sense any animal products on me or in me…

2. Love the patriotic pancakes – they look great! :) Sorry about the crow attacking you though.

3. I’ve been on the receiving end of a few bee stings in my day and once I got scratched by a squirrel! lol never while running though :)

4. Leslie says:

Mosquitoes NEVER bite me! I am so lucky, huh? I don’t know why, I guess they just don’t like the taste of me or something hehehe :)

5. Jennifer - jcd says:

Oh dear, I’m glad you were unharmed. Attacking birds sounds scary!

I’ve been ‘bombed’ by a bird before, right on my head (thank goodness for hats!), but that’s about it. And the odd attack from my cats, but we call those love bites.

Those pancakes look really yummy! I tried to make pancakes this weekend and it was a disaster. I’ll have to try your recipes.

6. Kate says:

I adore your Oatmeal Cookie Crepe Cakes! They are the epitome of deliciousness, ESPECIALLY with Soyatoo on top. Oh, and chocolate syrup.
    :) :) :)
    What, chocolate syrup for breakfast? Hey, I’ll do what I want! :)

7. Inspired says:

My cat has scratched me multiple times. Honestly, she’s not a very nice little lady :(

8. Jess says:

Those pancakes look really good!

9. *Andrea* says:

that’s so scary!!!! i’ve never been attacked but i was chased by a huge dog for like 1/4 mile until its owner whistled. i was scared for my life.

lovely bfast! berries are so yum in the summer

10. My cat is very protective of me. He especially hates my husband’s family and once he went to attack my BIL and I saw it coming, tried to grab him, and he got my hand instead. There was a huge hole between my pointer finger and thumb and he immediately started the “I’m sorry”s, following me around and mewing. I forgave him quickly, but now we close the door to our (large) basement when company is coming over and he has to be kept separate from my son. It makes me sad we have to take such precautions, but I know the alternative and this is better!

11. Stefanie says:

Those pancakes look yummy. I’m glad you escaped the angry bird unharmed. I have been swated at by my cats but that was in playfulness. Other then that just a pesky fly or two. :)

12. Mary says:

We had a morning dove build a nest in our yard once. She was one crabby momma, let me tell you! We couldn’t use our porch all summer! It was insane!

13. Kim says:

As someone who used to work as a gardener for a living, I have been attacked by a lot of crows! And you know what usually works to keep them off? Sunglasses on the top or back of your head. I’m not kidding. If they think you’re looking at them they won’t dive-bomb.

1. Kim,
      Haha that’s so funny! It’s nice to know that this seemingly-fearless bird is actually afraid of something! :)

14. McKella says:

Oh man, that would freak me out! I keep thinking about Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds…
    But yeah, I’ve been bitten by dogs before on walks, and dogs still make me really nervous until I get to know them. Probably why I’m a cat person.

15. abby says:

i love those crepe cakes! i’ve only tried the regular version, though, so your new oatmeal cookie version sounds terrific! :)

16. Oh wow, so crazy that you were attacked by a bird!!! Birds freak me out..

17. I just bought myself the artisana coco butter! Can’t wait for your recipes!!

Ps: Does being waked up early in the morning by my cat bitting my feet because he wants his food counts for an animal attack?? LOL 😉

18. Kate says:

The only “wild” animals that have ever attacked me were bugs (mosquitos, gnats, yellow jackets, etc).

Now I’m thinking about “The Birds”.

19. keegan says:

I was riding about 18 mph and had a huge bulldog charge and just barely miss my wheel…. adrenaline surge!
    Hiking one time we timed it with the gypsy moth caterpillers falling from their nest (i.e dropping form the sky randomly!!), creepiest hike ever!

20. runningcupcake says:

Hi there!
    Poor you- I have come close a few times running by the lake, too near to geese with their goslings. That is scary enough for me! If one actually nose-dived me I think I would stay away from that route for months!!!

21. shesarunner says:

I’ve been attacked by animals before, for sure. When I was little, a monkey with a bald bum attacked me. We were at some kind of petting zoo. I remember pointing at him and asking my sister why his butt was bald (I think I was only 5) and the monkey must have known I was talking about him and didn’t appreciate it (haha). He started screeching and coming towards me. A staff member intervened, but I was really afraid of monkeys for a while after that. But now I can’t resist their adorable little faces.

Mama birds are definitely very protective of their nests. I’ve never had one follow me for a full 5 minutes though..thats one tough mama!

22. Dude, if a bird attacked me, I would FREAK OUT! That’s some crazy Hitchcock stuff. I love birds, but I’d be horrified if one flew at my face. I bet she was some mama bird being way over-protective of her little babies. I’ve never been bird attacked, my there was this one bird at my old apartment that would try to attack my dog every time we went outside.

23. I have been running and almost run into squirrels who won’t move but otherwise no animal attacks… I would FREAK OUT if that happened (to echo Bianca)

please don’t be scared for life!

24. jqlee says:

not exactly ATTACKED by i was feeding this dog once and he bit my hand. the owners said i looked like this girl who used to mess with the dog all the time so maybe he didnt like me :(

25. franny says:

katie, i can understand it must be difficult for you to read rude comments on your blog, especially as youre simply stating the way you feel about them and youre obviously giving yourself a name and they are not — but calling them out in a post, especially so prominently and frequently, also looks poorly on you. it makes it seem as if you are defensive and lashing out against everyone who doesnt completely support you which is wildly distancing to a reader.
    they, of course, could not leave nasty comments, but you have the platform to lead by example of kindness in all ways to all people and all reactions to your viewpoints. and you DO do that often, but i just wanted to let you know that when you choose not to, it almost stands out more than when you do choose to ignore the words — just like you comment on the negative comments more frequently than i see you comment on individual positive ones.
    this isnt meant to be a mean or negative comment, though i understand that it could be taken as one… i just wanted to let you know my thoughts
    love the blog and take care!

26. I think your crepe cakes look beautiful! In fact, I very well may make some tonight. By the way, how many eggs does 1/4 tsp egg replacer replace? I don’t have any of that, so I have to convert it to flax/water. :)

What the heck about the bird! That’s so random, my goodness. Were you wearing any sort of interesting or bright colors? That’s just so weird, lol.

27. Ilana says:

OMG! Birds are so weird! In Thailand we watched the birds at our apartment attack the neighbor’s dog just because they liked to mess with it. Poor puppy!! Also in Thailand I got scratched by a baby tiger (!!) but I did kind of deserve it since I was feeding into animal tourism (which…I can;t stand and I still feel bad for sometimes).

I love your pancakes, they look so patriotic and fun! I didn’t end up finding a blue food to put in my salad, although I considered finding blue and red rice … haha. Next year I’ll do a fruit salad instead!

Have a fab evening darling!

28. Cecilia says:

Oh yes, I suffered (greatly) from attacks before, let’s see …. one from a german shepherd, one from a wasp, and another one from a magpie. But like someone said from above, I heard if you wear your sunnies on your head, they won’t attack you – but my question is, what if they poke my eyes out instead??? Gah!

29. Kelsey says:

damn mosquitos wont leave me alone.. am i too sweet? haha

30. Kelsey,
    It says on the box of ener-g that 1 and 1/4 tsp egg replacer equals one egg. I hope that’s helpful; I’ve never used flax eggs, I’m embarrassed to say!
    And lol, I think the bird was just worried I was going to… eat her babies or something? Haha weird!

31. Cecilia,
    Oh drat, now you’ve given me something else to worry about lol!

32. Demelza says:

Goodness, so many recipes of yours I still need to try! 😛 Haha, I will get around to it don’t worry. I’m always excited for more recipes. :]

Only animal I can really think of that’s attacked me other than the typical mosquito bites would be jellyfish. :/ My family went to the beach when I was about seven I think and apparently the waters were infested, so my brother and I learned not to run mindlessly in to the ocean. ._.;

33. Demelza,
    Oh gosh, I’m so sorry! My sister got stung by a jellyfish in Hawaii and I remember she cried for hours :(

34. I was attacked by a bird once on a walk. Flew straight for my head and totally freaked me out. It was not pretty, but I’m sure people driving by were quite amused. :)

What are you talking about – that photo of yesterday’s breakfast has me DROOLING Katie. Loving berry season!

35. Lindsey says:

Haha, yeah, my kitties attack me every morning for their breakfast. They wake me up anywhere between 6-7:30, usually, by jumping all over me, meowing at the top of their little kitty cat lungs. Clawing me, pawing back my covers, and just generally harassing me. Their effort in this is bigger than they are! Cats are so amazingly clever. If just a tad annoying sometimes :p

Other than that, I can’t remember if I’ve been attacked by an animal. I believe that I have, but apparently it was nothing very memorable.

36. Lindsey says:

Katie, while I respect Franny’s stance, I have to slightly disagree. I don’t think that you call anyone out, per say, nor do you do it frequently. You do not come across as someone who needs every reader’s approval at all. I think that you, just like anyone, don’t take it kindly when someone is rude, and you have a right to politely say so, as you have here.
    I think that if someone were to disagree with you, but state it in a way that was neutral and respectful of you and your own opinions, you would be happy to “hear” them out and let it be what it is.
    That’s just how I see it and you. Please don’t worry about coming off as defensive and lashing out. You do NOT, at all.
    And more so, it is YOUR blog, YOUR space to say whatever you want. And personally, I would rather read from who Katie truly is than a censored, edited version!

37. The pancakes look delicious, but top anything with soy whip and fruit and you’ve got a winner!

I’m sorry about the crow. I’ve had a few run-ins with rabbits, chipmunks, and squirrels lately on my bike …

38. The pancakes look delish, I haven’t put whip cream on mine for way too long!

39. diana says:

Yes, costa rica a giant scarlet macaw tried to land on me on a private beach. I tried to run twisted my knee and tore my ACL and meniscus… 2 surgeries and 1 year later I’m doing well but traumatized by birds for the rest of my life- especially the troipcal ones! I later found out it was a “half- domestic bird” used to live in someones home and they let it into the wild.. It likes to land on people. Thanks for the warning.. .POLLY!

40. Faith says:

I’ve never been attacked by an animal, but I almost ran right into an alligator that was sunning itself in my path…that’s what I get for not paying attention during outside runs in Florida!

41. Ahhh Katie, your blog never ceases to amaze me. I could get lost on here with all of the recipes you post… it is amazing!
    And yes, I am always attacked by mosquitos every dang summer. You should see my legs!!! And in New York, I was sexually attacked constantly by a family friend’s dog…. uncomfortable :/

42. Poor you for being attacked :( I’m always attacked by bees and I’m so afraid of them 😀

43. Jo says:

Oh god – how awful! its like the Birds – I hate things that flap/fly round my head. The worst is if a bird flies in the window/down the chimney – nightmare.

I haven’t been attacked by anything while running specifically but I did run into a lamppost once and knock myself out!