Girls Gone Wild (Bars)

Question from a reader: How do you budget your groceries? All this organic stuff can get to be expensive! And the nut butters too!

Stay away from the following:

mn

Steep price tag alert!

hd

(Those bars cost a lot of Henry Dollars!)

Henry Dollar-saving tip:

znyc 1389

Add cacao nibs and a mint extract to the PMS Chocolate recipe.

Voila! A chocolate bar that is mucho cheaper and just as yummy.

What’s your biggest spending vice?

For me, it’s undoubtedly grocery-related (coconut butter, organic produce, intriguing new products…). But where I splurge on food, I save in other areas of my life. For example, I don’t buy $150 pairs of jeans or designer purses like many of my friends, and I never eat fancy steak dinners or spend a fortune at Starbucks. I paint my own nails, and I don’t even spend a lot of money on scrapbook supplies anymore (‘cause I now have more than enough and therefore need to use up my incredible stockpile before buying more). So it all evens out in the end. (P.S. Junk food may be cheaper, but in the long run it’s not at all!)

1. Jennifer - jcd says:

Oh, those Wild Bars look so yummy. I have never tried one, but I imagine I would be in love at first bite.

My biggest financial vice would have to be groceries as well. Good quality food isn’t cheap and I love my good quality whole foods. Fresh fruits and veggies, Medjool dates, maple syrup, and fair trade chocolate add up quickly. They are completely worth it.

Like you, I make up for my grocery spending by keeping the rest of my life simple and cheap. We don’t go out to eat very often, rarely buy clothes, yet alone expensive ones, and our hobbies are fairly inexpensive too.

2. I spend soo much money on nut butters it is a little ridiculous! I am all about using coupons though. And I am always on the lookout for sales! Cannot WAIT to see all our fat hugging photos! You look gorge with your Wild Bar :)

3. Jess says:

SO excited for all the hug a fat photos!

4. McKella says:

I’m gonna jump on the grocery train too, because that’s my favorite thing to blow money on! We’ve actually cut way back on eating out so we can actually afford to buy good food, but it works. If we have good food at home, we don’t feel like we need to eat out.
    I’m a penny pincher on nearly everything else though. I buy tee shirts of the clearance rack and my beauty budget is about two tubes of mascara every year purchases with a coupon.

5. Jocelyn says:

I think it is ok to do as you do..and spend money where it counts! Like organic produce or amazing nut butters and new products… if you save in other areas (like clothes, entertainment, beauty) I don’t see the problem :)

I too spend way too much on nut butters..mauaha.

6. abby says:

uh oh i am in trouble. i spend money on food and clothes! there’s no balance for me! :(

7. Inspired says:

People always ask me how I can be a vegetarian when it’s so expensive, and I don’t understand. When did beans and tofu start costing more than steaks and ribs???

8. Sarahishealthy says:

Even though I didn’t participate (too shy), I’m very excited to see all the other hug a fat action :). I’ll be back tomorrow!

9. Valerie says:

Aw those Henry dollars are precious!

10. itstartedwithafish says:

I’ve just started to like one or the other bar, – and of course they (I bought a sample box of organicfoods bars the other day … OI!) are not cheap over here, either, – so I am delighted to see your genius coming up with these recipes, Katie.

Thank you from way over the pond!!!!

11. Rick says:

my spending vice is health/food oriented stuff. supplements, foods, colonics, ionic foot baths, far-infrared sauna, supplies like coffee for enemas and whatnot…i splurge on myself!

also, great that you mentioned those Wild Bars today. I just bought a 12-bar CASE of them since i avoid bars that are based in almonds – all almonds in America are pasteurized :(

12. Run Sarah says:

Love the idea of making the PMS chocolate in bar form to go. I hate spending money on granola bars etc, they can get so expensive!!

13. I spend a lot of my money on groceries! I <3 expensive chocolate, coconut and other nut fancy butters, and organic produce.

14. lol i meant to say fancy nut butters…

15. Katie says:

Hi love!!!!! Yay for the hug a fat post tomorrow! So excited!!

I def splurge on organic and healthy food, I feel for me its the best money I spend! I also love to splurge here and there on shoes or clothes : p

16. Meg says:

I can’t wait to see the hug-a-fat photos 😀 yayayayay!

17. I actually try not to spend a lot of money on organic food items so that I can spend more on going out with friends and shopping LOL

18. Ilana says:

Once upon a time I spent a LOTTTTTT of money on shoes. The sixty plus pair in my closet are a testament to that fact. Then I moved onto FOOD. Lots of moneyon all that organic fancy stuff.
    Then I reigned it in. I live on my own, I’m responsible for myself, and I blew a lot of money on things that I probably shouldn’t have. Now I have a $45/week food budget and i get more than enough of what I need. Once a month or so I’ll splurge on fun items like coconut oil or fancy bars or nut butters but I’m very happy with my minimalist vegan shopping trips!
    BTW – speaking of MINT CHOCOLATE, I just planted actual chocolate mint in my backyard. I had no idea such a thing exists but I just ate some and holy cow. Chocolate-covered mint everythin from now on!!

19. Katie says:

Besides things like mortgage and car and BIG things like that…food is definitely my #1 spending priority. It is well worth it to me to splurge on novelties at the grocery store, and cut back on clothes/shoes/beauty products. Running shoes/clothes take a close second though… 😉

20. vegirl says:

As a homeschooler, my mom has my sis and I manage our own finances (paying for classes, clothes, etc)– she hands us a check at the beginnin of every month and we decide how to use it. We don’t have to buy our own groceries, but if we want to buy a special food that mom and dad won’t buy, we have to get it ourselves. I don’t spend much on clothes (thrift shopping), hardly wear makeup (though I have mineral makeup stashed), so I just pay for exciting activities and food to feed my unfortunate food addictions (like almond butter, tahini, maple sugar, the lists go on and on). Now I’m saving up for a laptop. I work extra jobs that are 14 year old appropriate– babysitting, paper routes and pet sitting.

Can’t wait for tomorrows post!

vegirl