Treadmill Envy

Things I love about running outside:

• It really wakes me up
  • Two words: second breakfast
  • I get a chance to play my favorite “Running and Imagination” game 🙂
  • It affords me the chance to clear my mind
  • It’s a great way to take in the scenery
  • I feel like a warrior (especially when passing other runners)
  • Jumping in the pool or taking a hot shower afterwards (depending on the season)
  • Doing something good for a body that does so much for me

But treadmill-running?

tr

Not so much.

I’ve written before about my battle with the Treadmill. This past winter, I resorted to treadmill-running only once, braving single-digit temperatures instead of a meeting with the machine.

But—shock of shocks—I recently found out about a treadmill I would LOVE to try: The NordicTrack X7i.

tread

Why is the NordicTrack X7i so intriguing?

It uses a Wi-Fi connection, along with Google Maps, to give you an infinite number of running routes all over the world. So you don’t have to imagine running with, say, penguins in Antarctica. You can actually see the passing scenery as you run. And it even adjusts for elevation!

I sound like an infomercial for the thing, don’t I?

1. abby says:

THAT PENGUIN CUPCAKE IS ADORABLE!!!
    🙂

2. Jennifer - jcd says:

I’m not a treadmill fan either, even if I can hook up my iPod and watch movies on the ones they have at the gym here. Blah. The indoor running track is pretty blah too. Don’t get me wrong, they’re really nice facilities, but running outside is so much better.

Favourite form of exercise, that’s a tough one. I recently joined a bootcamp fitness class. It’s really difficult but heaps fun. They include lots of running (yay!), push ups and dips (not so yay), obstacle courses, stairs, etc. I love it! But I also love running on my days off from bootcamp class and I really enjoy ballet class too. Oh, and swimming. Don’t make me pick just one.

3. Jessica Lee says:

Oh Katie, you are too cute. Treadmill running, its a love/hate thing. I like it cuz I can run a lot longer/faster on it and I don’t let myself stop. On the other hand, yes it is quite boring.

Weights though, it is fun to me because I can literally SEE my muscles working when I lift. I love it. Plus its a challenge like running where you can go father/faster. With weights, it’s how many reps and how heavy!

4. Beth says:

Wow that treadmill sounds so cool! My favorite forms of exercise are running outside and Bikram yoga lately. I also looove to bike ride but I feel like it doesn’t give me as good of a workout as running does.

5. Mo says:

I actually prefer running on the treadmill. I have a hard time pacing myself, so outside I tend to go SUPER fast for only a couple minutes and then I need to stop and walk for a while before trying to run… again, way faster than I should be.

The treadmill sounds really fun, though! And I love the cupcake. 🙂

PS: I ran in 3+ feet of snow this winter. Beat that. 😉 Okay, so it was only for a couple minutes ’cause it’s quite easy to fall down in snow that high, but still!

6. Leslie says:

I’m with you on the weight lifting, so I’m anxious to see what everyone else has to offer in terms of tips!
    🙂 🙂

7. Mo,

Wow, hats off to you. I definitely can’t beat that! I’ve only SEEN that much snow once in my life. I was in 3rd grade, and it was pretty much up to my shoulders!

8. JCD,
    I wish ours could enable us to watch movies! All we get is (Fox) news 🙁

9. Wow! I want that treadmill! 🙂

Favorite workout? I’d say any sports. With people. Seems less like a work out and its fun!

10. Jess says:

Cute cupcake! And awesome treadmill!

11. Jess says:

Adorable cupcake!! TOO CUTE. Love it 🙂

My favorite exercise is strength training or yoga. The results are incredible!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

12. Valerie says:

How cute are you with your cupcake making skills?
    My favorite form of exercise these days is walking with a baby stroller. You’d be amazed at the high-quality workout it gives :).

13. Meg says:

I hate the treadmill…so much. I refuse it, haha. Elliptical or spinning sounds fantastic to me 😉 strength training is my main focus, but I LOVE the rush of a spin class – takes you to another planet! Kinda like your chocolate-covered runs 🙂

Happy Wednesday Katie!!

1. Meg,
      Chocolate-covered running… I love how you worded it! Hehe that might make even someone like my mom take up running :). She hates running, but loves chocolate!

14. Gina G says:

that sounds so cool! i have never heard about that!

my favorite form of exercise is kickboxing, martial arts, dancing, and basketball 🙂

15. Jenny says:

I love Body Pump and Body Combat… I wish I could use that treadmill, though! I would run through Africa:)

1. Jenny,
      Ohmigosh, Safari!!! Now I want one of those things even more!

16. Jo says:

I’m with you on running.. I rarely run on the treadmill but love to run outside instead. Mostly I run early in the mornings and I run all along the coast right beside the sea which is lovely (when its sunny, not so great when its windy and rainy). nothing helps more to get rid of stress and work things through in my mind.

1. Jo,
      Wow, that sounds absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately for me, I live in suburbia… but when I go on vacation, running by the sea is so much fun (although I haven’t mastered the “running on sand” thing).

17. Jo says:

Also meant to say its good to mix things up – while i like running (and I only run alone) I also play netball and tennis and these are fun ways of getting exercise.

18. Sydney says:

I feel the EXACT same way about treadmills! Just can’t do it. I get ADD and it drives me insane and I quit after about 2 miles. Maybe I should move to Florida so it never gets cold and I can always run outside?

1. Sydney,
      Or San Diego! Perfect weather year-round. Why oh why does it hafta be so expensive to live there? LOL oh wait, probably because EVERYone wants to live there!

19. I love running and hate treadmills too! I prefer being outside, but I don’t mind indoor tracks either. My gym has one and it’s kinda nice to run around in the air conditioning. Sadly, I only get to run for two more weeks…then I have to give it up for a year or more! Eek 🙁

20. I love running… it just makes me feel so strong and free. I also enjoy biking, walking, and i LOVE dancing