The difference between Girls and Boys

Boysenberries, that is 🙂

Chocolate-Covered Snack:

cak

Fresh-from-the-garden boysenberries and High-Protein Chocolate Cake

Every year since I can remember, we’ve grown a few fruits and veggies. Tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, and zucchini are favorites. But I definitely wouldn’t say I have a “green thumb.” Once, a cactus even died on me. How do you kill a cactus?!

And often, wild critters that visit our backyard will eat the garden veggies before they’re fit for human consumption. (Those greedy guys owe me a cantaloupe and a butternut squash, among other things. Pay up!)

Luckily, my very sweet neighbors do possess the elusive green thumb I lack. A few days ago, their little boy rang the doorbell and presented me with an overflowing container of dark purple boysenberries. He chattered away, informing me that soon he’d be back with zucchini, blueberries, and tomatoes! With neighbors like that, why even bother to plant my own garden?!

1. Stefanie says:

I try to grow a garden each year but it is never too successful. I got a couple tomatoes out of my tomato plants this year. Hopefully the couple of cucumbers on the plant will survive. My dream would be a large garden where I can pick fresh veggies when I need them but don’t foresee that happening.

You cake looks so moist and rich. Have a great sunday. 🙂

1. Stefanie,
      I love your dream. I’d love that too: to have an entire grocery store’s-worth of a produce section in my backyard!
      Happy Sunday back to you, sweet girl!

2. anonymous says:

i am OBSESSED with your high protein chocolate cake!!!! really i make it like every single day, its so good! cant thank you enough for creating this recipe!

everyone: GO OUT AND MAKE THIS! 🙂 🙂

1. anonymous,
      Awwww so glad you like it so much!!

3. Danielle says:

I’ve never even heard of boysenberries! They look like blackberries (which are a fav) 😀

My dream is to one day have my own garden. My mom grows her own herbs and strawberries in a little pot on our deck!

4. Kate says:

You killed a cactus? LOL you’re too funny, Katie :).

5. Leslie says:

We’re growing zucchini and tomatoes this year. Sounds like your gumbo would be perfect for us!
    Happy Sunday, Katie. And tell your dad Happy Fathers’ Day!

6. abby says:

ooh i could’ve written anonymous’s comment ;). you know how i love that protein chocolate cake. i don’t think i’ve ever had a boisenberry though!

7. Stef says:

Hey,
    I still live with my parents and they have a yard and plant lots of fruits and veggies. They are on vacation right now so I’m the lucky one who gets to pick a buckload of cherries from the tree. I made cherrie preserves yesterday because I just cannot see cherries anymore. But my friends really like it because they benefit from our overflowing tree.
    Among those we also have red and shite currants, plums, pears, strawberries and raspberries. And tomatoes. This year we didn’t go all out on the veggies but we used to have cucumbers or lettuce and stuff like that.
    If you don’t have a green thumb mine is even worse. You wrote that one cactus died on you I managed to kill 5!!! And I don’t have a clue on how I did it because I didn’t water them particularly often (seeing as they are cactus).
    But I really enjoy the fruits from our garden (usually but I do get sick of them eventually) as long as I don’t have to pick them myself ’cause I’m kinda lazy! But having neighbors growing stuff and sending me some sounds ideal to me!

1. Stef,

Cherries, strawberries, raspberries, pears!????
      If you see a prowler in your garden one day, don’t worry; it’s just hungry little me :).

And LOL thanks for making me feel better about the cactus!

8. Jennifer - jcd says:

Are you sure you cannot read minds? We made vegan gumbo last night for supper! And I’ve managed to kill a cactus too, maybe 2 of them. Maybe we’re long lost twins of some sort.

Boysenberries and fudge cake looks extremely delicious! Oh, yum! I cannot wait for berries to start growing here.

Your neighbours are so sweet! Good neighbours are something to be cherished.

Growing up, we always had a vegetable patch of some sort. It took me a few years after I moved out to start one of my own. We planted lots of fruit bearing trees and shrubs as permanent landscaping fixtures: a pin cherry tree, two apple trees, three plum trees, three saskatoon berry bushes, two gooseberry bushes, two red currant bushes, and some raspberry canes. I have a black thumb of death, I kill houseplants in record time, but these all seem to be growing well. In the vegetable patch this year I have zucchini, cucumber, beans, peas, carrots, spinach, chard, beets, tomatoes, sweet peppers, potatoes, kohlrabi, and lettuce. So far all I can see are small buds on the trees and wee sprouts in the garden, but it won’t be long until we can enjoy fresh fruits and veggies. (Last year most of my garden didn’t come up, but this year is looking much more promising.)

1. JCD,
      Ooh we were on the same wavelength! Sadly for me, though, I haven’t made my gumbo yet. (The photo is of the last time I made it, when we grew purple peppers.) So, to save me some work, can I just come over and finish off your gumbo? 🙂 Pretty please with chocolate on top?

9. Gummy Bear says:

The protein cake looks so yummy! And so does the vegan gumbo 🙂 I’m also vegan and am now thinking of trying some of your recipes, they look really good!
    As for your question, no, I don’t grow any of my own foods ): I’d love to someday, though.

10. Sarahishealthy says:

That protein cake looks divine. I’ve had it on my list for a while now.
    I don’t grow my own food, but that’s because I live in an apt!

11. Inspired says:

I actually grow A LOT of my own food. There’s just something about eating the fruits of your labor (literally!) that is so satisfying. And I think home grown food actually tastes better too.

12. Gina G says:

my dad has a little garden….those sneaky rabbits love it though! We have only had success with tomatoes and horseradish so far, but we are trying again this year 🙂

have a wonderful father’s day Katie! 😀

13. emily says:

when i was growing up, my parents had a raised garden in our backyard (not so common, considering i live in the bustle of northern virginia) for all sorts of vegetables, herbs, & some fruit. i requested my own garden, and to my delight i had a small little raised garden square for my own plants. i had fun before realizing how many bugs & creatures were involved…. ick. now i just grow basil for fresh flavor in things & homemade pesto. there’s nothing like fresh produce, though.

p.s. i made your breakfast pizzert last night. 🙂 i added a dash of vanilla, cinnamon, & chopped strawberries to the batter. i also threw together a sauce / dip with 116 grams fat-free cottage cheese (i’m not vegan, obviously), 83 grams chopped strawberries, sweetness, cinnamon, & vanilla whizzed away in my trusty magic bullet. it came out silky & pink and tasted like strawberry cheesecake. it was lovely with some more fresh strawberries on the pizzert. i’m definitely looking forward to trying it again sometime. 🙂

14. Marina says:

Yeah, I’m not so much into plants. Everything dies on me :/
    But my bf’s family grows all kinds of things, and I always make sure to leave them with a smaller number of fresh fruits and veggies 😀

15. Sarah says:

Your title is so cute :). Like you!
    Hope your having a good Sunday!

16. cookeatburn says:

I’ve never had a garden and my family never did either, but I would love to have one someday! I’m a little worried that I’m lacking in green thumbs though, haha.

17. Kiersten says:

I grow my own basil, but that’s it. I manage to kill every plant I try to take care of. The basil would probably be dead too if it wasn’t for my boyfriend. I would love to try to grow some tomatoes and other herbs someday when I have my own yard. (I’ll probably kill those too though)

18. Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear says:

I want to live where you live, awesome neighbours! 🙂

19. Katherine: What About Summer? says:

There are only two kinds of people in this world: male and female

20. kathleen says:

I don’t have a yard, these days, but I have a basil plan and a tomato plant. In my dorm in college I had parsley and rosemary. My roommate was not a fan… “ew, bugs!!”