Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Hello from CCK (again)

My blog is going through a change.

(No, not that change!)

I started this blog for fun. As the number of readers climbed, it made me a little nervous. I became much more cautious about privacy; I stopped posting friends’ photos and shared much less of my own personal life as well. But I’m afraid this might’ve made my blog rather boring. Recipes are fun and all, but everyone and her brother has recipes to share. I want to put the personality back in my blog.

Hence the change. Obviously, this doesn’t mean I’m going to start listing all my personal info in posts like a naive idiot. Hello blogworld, here is my credit card number. Here is my social security number. But you won’t use them, right, because I trust you.

There’s another reason I’ve shied away from getting too personal: I’m overly worried about hurting others. I know full well that a large number of people who read my blog are girls (and boys) recovering from eating disorders.  So I worry, hating to think that they might find something in my posts upsetting. They struggle enough as it is; I would feel awful if one of my photos or posts added to their suffering. But the fact is that no matter how careful I am, someone is going to be offended/upset at something I write at some point. I can’t always worry about posting certain words or photos because it might upset someone. That’s not fair to anyone.

I am healthy. So why should I feel like I have to hide my body?  Yes, I have a responsibility, since I’ve chosen to publish information publicly (as I wrote in my first Hello from CCK post). But you, as a reader, also have a responsibility to take good care of yourself. Only you know what type of blog content upsets you or isn’t healthy for you to read. If you don’t take good care of yourself, who will?

What does all this mean? It means, from now on, my blog is going to be less fluff and more real. The recipes will still be there, but I’m also going to share much more of my day-to-day real life.

“Being real” means showing not-so-perfect photos: I’m talking “no-make-up” pics, monochromatic meals, foods on mismatched plates, and sweaty post-run photos. It means allowing you to see the true me: I’m not perfect and do not have all the answers. If you’re thinking, “Ugh, Katie, I have enough real-life issues of my own. I don’t want to hear about yours. I’m only here for the recipes,” then please feel free to skip my posts on the days I write more personal posts. As I said above, I promise to still share many more recipes. But I’m also excited to share more than just recipes.

1. Leslie says:

I do love your recipes, and I am EXCITED for the new fudge babies!!! But I have to say that I am such a huge fan of yours that I’m even more excited to see more of the real you :).

2. Jennifer - jcd says:

This is such a wonderful post. I look forward to the new and more personal blog. This blog is yours and it is entirely up to you waht you do with it, but I like your confidence and attitude towards this new chapter. You Go Girl!

As for your question, I’m fairly guarded around people I don’t know. I try to keep things quiet and down low most days.

On Wednesday I’m going for an hour-long run. It will be difficult for me, as I normally only do 30 minutes, but when the going gets tough I’ll think you and keep going. You’re a great inspiration. Have a wonderful day!

3. Jenny says:

I read your blog everyday, and this is very exciting. 🙂

4. abby says:

katie you are so brave to write this! i have a hard time even sharing my personal self with my friends, so i can’t imagine how brave you have to be to share so much with thousands of people reading every day that you don’t even know! thank you so much for caring enough about your loyal readers to put yourself out there like that :).

5. Can’t wait for the new posts! I’m glad you feel free to be more “you”!! 🙂

I’m not a very open person unless I know someone really well. I’m more of the shy and guarded type, lol, but maybe you’ll inspire me to share more too!

6. Sarahishealthy says:

Not to sound stalkerish, but I adore everything about your blog and am so excited you’ll be sharing more!

7. Sarahishealthy says:

Oh, and I’m excited for the Crazy Oatmeal recipe too 🙂 🙂 🙂

8. VeggieGirl says:

Girl, you rock – period. Your blog has always been great, and now it will be even BETTER since you’re doing 100% what you want with it. 🙂

9. Exciting news 🙂 Well, fluff is fun to!

I have to admit that I haven’t done my “blogging coming out” yet and it kinda scares me. I’ve told a couple of friends but I don’t know, I feel more at ease with total strangers than people around me? How crazy am I?

10. Sarah says:

Bring on the “meat and potato” boys’ stories!

11. Devyn says:

I am so excited for futuren posts! I think that confessionals are healthy and make a blogger more “human?” lol. You are so sweet for taking this as such a responcibility

12. Dame Noire says:

Wow! This once more shows what a cool and brave young lady you are! I look forward very much to seeing more of your day-to-day stuff… somehow the more mundane things are the most fun to share 🙂

13. Dianne says:

Good for you! I’m very excited about the changes. It looks like your ideas are something a lot of people would want to read, so don’t be worried!

14. MaryZ says:

I’m looking forward to seeing more of the real Katie! Exciting! I loving peeking (or peeping) into other peoples lives. Looking forward to more recipes too.

15. itstartedwithafish says:

I say, go for it, girl (as if you needed my permission 😉 )!!!!

I myself am more guarded around the people I know actually, – well, more guarded that I am around strangers, that is, because I really am shy and 100% certain of my non existent worthiness lol but being around strangers always gives me the chance to show a ray of my true ME and test, what they’ll think of it, – see, I am so afraid of losing someone I like for who I am… the ones that don’t know me yet get to see more of ME than anybody else, – talk a bout one sick puppy lol

16. Amy says:

I am a daily reader and am very excited about this! 🙂 As for sharing the ‘real me’ with perfect strangers…I had to think. Really it depends on my mood at the time, my first impression of the person and the situation. I have a very bubbly personality which isn’t readily acceptable in the business world, so at work I am very professional when meeting new people which is definitely not the real me. However, my closest coworkers (department buddies) and I are our true selves behind closed doors. In a social setting it depends on my first impression of the other person. It seems about half of the time I perceive the other personality as too stuffy or arogant for me to want to get to know better. Other times they have me at hello… I’m like a box of chocolates that way I guess. lol :0)

17. anonymous says:

you once wrote that you had a personal post that you still needed to find the courage to publish. will that be one of your future “being real confession” posts?

1. anonymous,
      As a matter of fact, yes it will :).

18. eatandrun says:

Sweaty post running photos? LOL you ARE brave!

19. Mitri says:

Your blog is one of the first I started reading over a year or two ago. 🙂 As much as I love trying recipes now & then, what I REALLY love about bloggers is that I can relate to them as honest people with similar interests. I like hearing stories about people’s lives. But I also understand the privacy issue, as I have often flickered back and forth between a boundary of “tell much” and “tell nothing.”

The point of having a blog is for you to enjoy writing, photographing, expressing, being creative, interacting with community members. You don’t have to be some online vegan image with upkeep; you can just be Katie, who happens to be vegan. 😉 Maybe your posts will include vegan stuff, maybe they won’t. Doesn’t matter. KATIE is where it’s at!!!

If people get offended, then they should have the common sense to stop reading your blog. Ta da!

20. Sydney says:

Am I definitely one of the guarded types. I absolutely hate it when anyone finds out about my personal life because I’m always afraid they don’t know the whole story and may come to the wrong conclusions, etc. By being guarded, I have been able to avoid many problems and conflicts that many of my friends have had in the past. However, by closing off my personal info to the world, I may be shutting out potential new friends and experiences that I would truly enjoy. You’ve really gotten me thinking about this, Katie! Anyway, I envy your courage to open up to us a little more and I’m looking forward to reading your posts. Way to go girl!

1. Sydney,
      Haha don’t envy my courage… I don’t have it yet! I figure that if I say on the blog what I’m going to do, then I can’t back out ;).