Make Chocolate, not Bombs

I woke up at 10AM, which is about 3 1/2 hours later than usual. No worries; I just skipped first breakfast and continued on like it was any other day. I’m at my aunt’s beach house on Long Island.

The trip here was pretty uneventful… but then again, I was unconscious for most of it! So, was the plane ride worth it? To answer, here’s a picture of the view from my balcony:

greenport 037

greenport 002

100% worth it!

Plus, I get to be with my whole family—sister included. And Molly and Henry too!!

My parents drove here last week (36 hours in the car = crazy parents), and brought Molly and Henry with them. The puppies loved the car ride; they had the entire back to themselves, with one bed set up on each side. But come trip-time, Henry abandoned his bed and cuddled up next to Molly. Awwwww times a million.

puppers

More awwww times a million, below:

greenport 050

Where there is sunshine, Henry follows.

1. Eric Jaffa says:

How much weight-lifting did you do during your last week before flying to New York?

2. SO jealous, it looks beautiful! My ideal vacation is probably traveling in a new place eating all the local food….yum 🙂

3. Ideal vacations are either a very hot and sunny place where I don’t have to do a thing OR momma’s place where I don’t have to do a thing … do you see a trend? hehehe

4. Eric,
    I usually lift weights 2 or 3 times a week. Nothing major :).

5. Gorgeous view! I think my ideal would be somewhere I could cook for myself (cos I’m vegan), but in a hotel..the penthouse suite with akitchen would be perfect 😛
    Have a fab day!

6. McKella says:

Sometimes I like vacations where I just kick back, but usually I like to be busy! Sightseeing, journaling, exploring, even volunteering. Last summer I studied abroad in China and I got to volunteer in a panda reserve, and I’m toying with the idea of spending the next few years traveling the world teaching English. Just trying to get the hubbie on board…
    Most of the time, I’m not looking to take it easy. I’m ok with roughing it. It’s worth the adventure!

1. McKella,
      OMG pandas?!?!?! I adore pandas! I even went through a phase where my room was panda-themed. So your summer sounds absolutely amazing!! And how sweet are you to spend your summer volunteering to help pandas?!

7. im almost thinking Henry and Molly.. especially Henry is having the best time out of everyone!! lol haha

my favorite vacation is one that allows me a mix of relaxing beach time, shopping, and lots of exploring and off-roading. i like a nice hotel or room to go to at the end of the day.. so im not big on roughing it or rustic a.k.a ‘old’ cabins.

enjoy the sunshine!! <3

8. Eric Jaffa says:

On the days when you lifted weights last week, about how-much-time or about how-many-repetitions per day?

1. Eric,
      LOL I’m a little curious as to why you’re so interested in last week, in particular. I don’t time my wl routine, so I can’t say for sure how long it takes me.

9. Ann Claire says:

Glad the plane trip was worth it! the view from your balcony is beautiful!
    As for the ideal vacation, I honestly really enjoy vacations where the food is prepared for me but also love when I go on vacation and am able to prepare my own food (probably healthier that way too).

10. mapledreams says:

WOW!!!!!! that view is absolutely breathtaking! definitely worth the trip! you’er right…go out and enjoy yourself and don’t worry about blogging for now!!

I think my ideal holiday would be in a really hot country, at an all exclusive resort! fabby! xx

11. caronae says:

LI looks so beautiful! It’s funny that being in NY I’m so close, yet so far away! I wish I could escape the city right now and go swimming….

I love any kind of active vacations; I have gone hiking across Costa Rica, running through the mountains of Northern California, kayaking all over Michigan, etc. I would, however, LOVE to do a cruise someday like the one you went on two years ago (just read that post — amazing). I really want to go to Macchu Picchu…

12. Meg says:

Umm and how did I not get an invite?! 😉

Glad you arrived safely, sans Vita-Mix, but that’s ok, you’ve got a plenty of things to make up for it! Coconut butter, almond milk – definite musts. I’m right there with ya on travel necessities!

Love ya!

1. Meg,
      Yes yes yes you are soooo invited!! (Not that San Fran is all too shabby of a location!)

13. vegirl says:

WOW what a gorgeous view! And I can’t believe that the artisana is travel sized! I brought a baby food jar of almond butter when I went to NYC 🙂

Wow, your dogs are adorable– do you just smile constantly when your around them??!! LOL
    Oh, just a little bit ago, I made chocolate banana oatmeal pudding for breakfast. Cocoa powder + ripe mashed banana + blended oatmeal = heaven. It was totally inspired by your recipes, and so delicious. I topped with raisins (I am also a raisin addict, did you know?).
    VEGirl

1. Vegirl,
      Haha yes, Henry NEVER stops smiling… or licking! And your breakfast sounds absolutely perfect :).

14. Danielle says:

It’s so frustrating going through the airport! Security has taken my salad dressing, face wash, and olive oil 🙁

Your view is absolutely gorgeousssss. My ideal vacation would be THAT right there 😀

1. Danielle,
      Come join me!! I have lotsa extra salad dressing :).
      (They did take my peanut butter once. Meanies.)

15. shesarunner says:

Happy to hear you’re enjoying yourself!

My perfect vacation is near an ocean…I don’t like swimming but I like being near the water. I find it really calming.

I do like resorts but only if I have a kitchenette so I can make my own food if I need to!

16. The ideal vacation requires sunshine, lots and lots of sunshine!

17. Eric Jaffa says:

Chocolate-Covered Katie –

I phrased my questions about weight-lifting in terms of last week, because if I wrote “how much do you usually do” then if you proceeded to do more-or-less you might feel like you weren’t being true to the answer you gave.

I was just looking for a ballpark per day of what you did recently on days you lifted, like closer to one minute or closer to twenty minutes of weightlifting.

1. Eric,
      Ooh ok! Makes sense! It’s closer to a 1/2 hour or maybe 40 minutes, I guess… I sometimes watch tv while I lift weights, so it’s not like I’m lifting the whole time, though :).

18. Ilana says:

Ahhh I need to go to the beach like NOW.

I don’t care who makes the food (me or someone else), my ideal vacation is somewhere UNTOURISTY and not surrounded by a lot of people! So difficult to come by haha.

19. Natalie says:

your dogs are so cute!!!! looks like you are having a lot of fun. love that you brought all your goods with you =)

for short vacations, i do like being pampered and having everything prepared for me, but for longer stretches of time, i would rather have the freedom to prepare my own food. that being said… sometimes i am just a total homebody and would rather be in the comfort of my home… =) (i do like traveling though)

20. Little Bookworm says:

Amazing view from your balcony! Love the Henry and Molly photos – so cute. 🙂 Ideal vacation would probably be somewhere where I could cook – I find I miss cooking.