Dear New York City, can I move in with you?

Is that taking things too fast?

Math lesson: NYC Whole Foods hot bar > Dallas’ Whole Foods hot bar. From grain salads to mock meats to soups, there was so much on offer. How to choose?! Finally, I managed to put together a cute little lunch:

nycfood

Curried cauliflower, pico de gallo (and some raw tomatoes), steamed chard and kale, and channa masala (Also pictured was a dressing I ended up not needing.)

After eating lunch, we walked around Times Square.

nyctimessquare1

Apparently, someone did NOT hug a fruit on the ground behind me. What a waste of a perfectly-good fruit cup!

nyctimessquare

We also picked up our tickets to see Jersey Boys later that night.

1. We don’t have Whole Food here in Canada, but everytime I go to Ontario for work, they have a grocery store chain called “Longo’s” where the hot/cold bar is to die for.

I always end up taking a little bit of everything, which comes to a huuuuuuge amount …. Thank you expense account! hehehe

I wish I had a hot bar in my house. Filled by elves.

2. Ilana says:

You know I’ve only had the WF hot bar twice? And the second time I got all cold food so it doesn’t count 😉 Whole Foods is like an orgy of food to me and to visit there during lunch hour is like seeing all the animals on the savanna coming to the watering hole at once. It’s so amusing – and it’s equally amusing that so many local professionals choose to waste their lunch hour standing on line at Whole Foods to pay for the hot bar. I really want to see Jersey Boys! Can’t wait to hear what you thought of it!

3. sagojyou says:

I’ve eaten at a WFs hot bar, but it is so expensive! (only done it once for that reason!) But it’s totally worth it. 😉 And I think it’s okay if you sampled a little bit; you were…ah…trying to see if it’s worth the money to buy a lot of the samples or not! Right! 😀

4. Sarahishealthy says:

I’m so glad to know I’m not the only one who sneaks tastes! I mean, come on, WF is expensive. There’s no way I’m spending $8 on lunch only to discover I don’t even like what I got!

5. Meg says:

Going to WF hot bar today, actually. When I was in San Fran I spent about half my paycheck there 😉

You can certainly move to NYC – that way you’ll be closer to me 😀

6. Leslie says:

Oh I am so jealous! I love the Four Seasons. Hope you liked the show! 🙂

7. Daniel says:

I’ve never had the WF hot bar – we live about 2 hours from the nearest WF and usually we just finish eating before we arrive to do our shopping before heading back home. Maybe next time I’ll suggest WF for dinner. 😛

And no, we never leave on time either. I think it’s just one of those things that takes a miracle to be on time with.

8. abby says:

i love nyc! and their whole foods too! wish i could have met up with you there. i’m sorry i canceled on you. ugh ugh! next time, we must meet up!

9. Valerie says:

Haha Katie, I had to laugh when you talked about your parents’ inability to leave on time. As a mom with young kids, I can tell you that we NEVER leave on time for vacations, school, etc. We’re constantly running late!

10. Thank you so much for the shout-out, Katie! 🙂 I’m headed to NYC in a few days, so I’ll try to hardest to visit the Whole Foods.

11. I rarely eat off the Whole Foods hot bar (maybe twice … and one time was at the WF in Nashville, not Memphis). I’d like to eat there more often, but WF is about 20 minutes away from my house and I really only go there for grocery shopping … which I generally always do after I’ve already eaten dinner. One day, I outta skip dinner and dine on the hot foods bar first. They do have those AMAZING soy mock nuggets!

12. Tanya says:

Bet you haven’t been to the TINIEST WF….it’s on the Upper West Side. But if you happen to find yourself on the upper west side, Mana is an awesome place to eat! (http://www.manaorganic.com/) Their kale/walnut salad is amazing, and so is their tempeh teriyaki. Have fun in NYC!! Wish I got to go this summer, sniff…..

13. Tanya,
    Thanks so much for the link; I don’t think I’d heard of that restaurant before. I’m off to check it out now!
    And I actually HAVE been to the tiniest WF… well, it was the tiniest one at the time: in Wynnewood, PA. Hehe and then, that same year, I went to the biggest one in Austin :).

14. *Andrea* says:

i love WF salad/hot bars! and i always sneak bites of tofu or veggies before putting them in my cardboard box lol

15. Run Sarah says:

I have only had Whole Foods hot bar once, my husband brought it for me as a treat when I was on call! It was delicious, but it is SO expensive! Is that a Vera Bradley bag? If so, I think it’s the same pattern as my lunch bag 😉

1. Run Sarah,
      Yes!! It’s Vera Bradley! 🙂

16. Ive never been to a raw foods bar but everytime someone writes about them I get so jealous! Everything looks great!

17. Gloria says:

The WF hot bar is my go-to lunch spot when I go out with my coworkers. It has an option for everyone’s dietary preference! And I get to share fun vegan treats with the new guys. Mmmm.. I’m craving some pesto tofu right now! Is it lunch time yet?? 😉

1. Gloria,
      It’s always lunchtime… somewhere 😉 😉

18. hahaha the oranges on the ground. omg i didnt even notice it til u pointed it out, i was too busy looking at the gorgeous girl in a cute skirt.. YOU hehe <3

im pretty sure New York loves you back. how fabulous would it be to live there at least for a little bit!

xoxo

19. Kristen says:

Hi Katie!

Just wanted to let you and readers know that WF will let you sample whatever you want on the hot bars – they are actually pretty good about letting you taste as many items as you want… they just want you to ask and let them put it in a sample cup. For health and cross contamination purposes.

Once I was actally shopping for crackers (or something like that) and I was looking at a brand that I hadn’t tried. There was an employee on the isle and I asked him if he’d tired them. He said he hadn’t but popped open the box for me to taste them right there on the row. I appreciated that.

Enjoy your trip!

1. Kristin,
      Woah, thank you so much for telling me! I always feel badly about taking tastes, and I usually end up passing over a lot of things because I don’t want to take advantage/get in trouble.

20. I love WF’s salad and hot bars!!!! Seriously, you have to taste a little of what you plan to eat because with the price you pay you cant chance not liking your selection!!