Vegan Dinner At Angelica Kitchen

NYC continued…

Soon enough, after eating at Whole Foods, walking around Times Square, and exploring the amazing hotel, it was time for din-din. We journeyed to Angelica Kitchen, a vegan establishment in the East Village, for an early dinner (5PM). This left us plenty of time to get to Jersey Boys at 8.

As soon as I spied soba on the Angelica Kitchen menu, this pasta-loving girlie knew exactly what to order. Dashi + soba, and a side of the veggies with the MOST amazing sweet basil sauce ever! It was so yummy that I checked out their cookbook after dinner. Sadly, the sauce wasn’t in the book.

angelica kitchen

Handsome Dinner Date’s order was a ½ tempeh Reuben with tomato-basil soup. I thought about ordering the Reuben, but am glad I didn’t. The bite of HDD’s I tried tasted overwhelmingly of sauerkraut. Perhaps that’s what a Reuben is supposed to taste like? Never having eaten a real Reuben before, I wouldn’t know!

Luckily, Mr. Handsome Dinner Date liked the sandwich.

As for the soup… Now that was something worth putting in my belly! Had it been a pool, I would’ve happily slurped my way out. Since the cup of soup was neither mine nor big enough, I refrained from this action, resigning myself to the two sips HDD magnanimously granted me. But I seriously contemplated getting a cup to go for breakfast the next day!

angelica kitchen menu

My mom is the kindest soul in the world.

angelica kitchen salad

However, she’s not the most adventurous.

Although she was once brave enough to try Raw Pecan Pie.

But pecan pie aside, foods like tempeh and tofu usually scare mommy dearest, so she often sticks to commonplace dishes such as salads when we dine at vegetarian establishments. But sometimes playing it safe leaves you wallowing in mediocrity. Such was the case with my mom’s Angelica Kitchen salad. It wasn’t bad, but it was nothing to write home about.

Me, on the other hand? I was very impressed with Angelica Kitchen. The food was flavorful and well-presented, the atmosphere was peaceful, and the service was attentive. (Their owner even came by our table!) It’s definitely a restaurant to which I plan on returning next time I’m in the city.

jersey boys

After dinner, we rushed off to see Jersey Boys. It was awesome!! Along with Wicked, this was probably my favorite Broadway show ever. Highly recommended.

Question of the day:

Are you an adventurous orderer when you go out to eat?
Or do you mainly stick to “safe” foods?

I’ve always gone both ways: As a little girl, I didn’t shy away from ordering so-called “strange” foods. (I ate tofu loooooong before Tofutti made it popular to do so!) Especially since I lived in Japan, foods like soybeans, lychee, and bok choy routinely crossed my lips. However, I liked my safe foods too. In the eight or so years that we frequented Outback Steakhouse, only once did I order something other than their macaroni and cheese!

Tags:

1. Jess says:

I think I’m a little bit of both! It all depends what I feel like 😉

2. Sharon says:

Wow! i need to check out Angelica’s Kitchen sometime, that soba looks really goooooddd! I’ve nnever seen Jersey Boys but I’ve heard its great! Hope your having the best time here in NYC 🙂 Is there a blogger meetup in the works for your NYC visit?

1. Sharon,
      I really wanted to do a HUGE meetup, but I just felt too nervous to publicly tell tens of thousands of people that I’d be in a specific location at a specific time. I’m sure nothing bad would’ve happened… but I just wanted to be safe.

3. Sünne says:

Yum, I guess I’d like Angelica Kitchen, too!

When eating out I want to try “special” and “exciting” dishes I wouldn’t cook for myself at home. My sister plans to take me to a restaurant for vegan “Currywurst” (sausage in a special curry sauce) soon … I’m up for it!

4. *Andrea* says:

i love trying new things! but i generally stick to foods i enjoy and try a small appetizer portion to split with someone in case the new food is a letdown 😉

your meal looks so yummy and fresh!

5. I’m both.. When I go to a new restaurant, I’m always more bold than going to one that I know, where I order my staples …

I much rather go to someone’s home, and have to try instead of chosing in a menu .. 🙂

6. When I dine somewhere new, I just browse everything and then order what jumps out at me. But if I’m a regular somewhere (which is nowhere right now, but someday I’ll live somewhere with a vegan restaurant and they’ll have to drag me out at closing time), I don’t like to have a “usual”. I love to try new things! 🙂

7. Run Sarah says:

I love soba noodles, so good! I may have to whip up some soup this week. I try to be adventurous at restaurants but often there are only a few options to choose from that are veg friendly.

8. Katharina says:

I want to go there so badly! Next time I’m up there I have to make a stop over there. HDD’s soup does sound delicious!!! I’ve never had a real Reuben either but I’ve recreated a vegan version (you can find it in my blog) and loved it, and I tried a vegan one ny friend got but I agree with you–too much kraut for me lol. Anywho, I’m definitely adventurous when I go out to eat. Duh! Lol that’s the title of my blog hahaha. That’s why I love going to a place where I have options. But the other day for instance, we were invited out to eat and of course we accepted. Alas, the only option were the side salads. Atleast I was with good company so I didn’t mind 🙂

XOXO beautiful girl

9. What is dashi?

And I love sauerkraut. Sauerkraut and mashed potatoes is a divine combo, BTW. I bet I would love that sandwich.

I’m definitely an adventurous eater, and I like almost everything (black licorice being the big exception. I also don’t like green peppers but I will eat them when cooked). But I do prefer making my own food usually just because I don’t like how much oil other people use.

1. Erika,
      Dashi is a thin Japanese soup/broth. Usually it’s made with bonito flakes (fish), but I love it when it’s vegan!! 🙂

10. devan says:

You are SO gorgeous!!
    I am definatly not adventurous.. well, i guess it depends what restraunt I am at…

11. bridetobefit says:

I love trying new interesting foods, unfortunatly the fiancé is not a fan of the unknown so usually I’m on my own in trying new things!

12. Faith says:

I’m definitely an adventurous eater! I can’t promise I’ll like it, but you bet your butt I’ll try it!

13. Justine says:

I like to think that I am adventurous but I don’t eat out often enough to be able to say so. I’m always open to trying new things though. After all, you only live once.

14. I’m a weird eater at restaurants. I’m adventurous when I first go to the restaurant and am willing to try something weird. However, once I find a dish I like, I never really deviate from it. So certain restaurants, I always get the same dish. At my Asian place, I only ever get Panang Curry despite the plethora of Thai and Chinese choices. The Indian place I always get Veggie Vindaloo, etc. I think once I find something I really like, I’m afraid to try something different for fear it will not be as tasty and I will be sad I didn’t order the normal dish.

There’s also the aspect of typically only finding 1 or 2 meals on the menu at most places that I can actually eat, so I guess sometimes it’s forced. 🙂

1. C,
      I guess I’m like that too! I like taking a risk when ordering, but if I *know* something is good, I tend to want to order it again and again. Such is the case with a certain pumpkin lasagna from Lifethyme Cafe that I’ll post about soon. I was brave to order it once, but next time I’ll probably go straight for that instead of trying something new!

15. Little Bookworm says:

Sounds like a great restaurant! In terms of ordering food, I guess it depends what I feel like when I go out to eat. 🙂

16. Jenny says:

Your mom sounds like mine at vegan restaurants…she’ll go for my sake, but she always orders very simple things. I like Angelica’s Kitchen; it’s been awhile since I’ve been there. I like to be adventurous when ordering, but for some reason, it’s always the sandwiches that look so good to me. (And, crazy enough, I’m not a huge fan of ethnic-type food.) I love reubens. I force myself occasionally to order something besides a sandwich.

Funny story…when you first mentioned Jersey Boys, for some reason I thought you meant Jersey Shores (or whatever that show is called)…and I thought, oh, no, Katie… 🙂

1. Jenny,
      Oh no no no! LOL I’ve never seen that show and never plan to ;).

17. mapledreams says:

Sounds like a really lovely restaurant!! Your meal defo looks the tastiest! Mmm! I tend to stick to safe foods in fear that i’ll waste a dining experience however sometimes i am brave, and it does introduce me to new, exotic foods xx

18. erinsloves says:

I hate to say it but I usually tend to order safe foods.. I have OCD with knowing what Im eating and whats in it..every now and then I get a wild hair though!

19. melindard says:

I loved Angelica Kitchen. I only went once, but my sister has been a few times. I am adventurous but only if it is vegetarian, obviously. Glad you are having a good time in NYC. There are tons of good vegan places around there so you will have lots to enjoy. Hope you enjoyed the show. I saw it in Vegas and loved it.

20. OH YUMMMMY! mm Sweet basil ANYTHING is so good! that salad looks amazing- and so does the gorgeous lady sitting in the restaurant.. oh YOU hehe. was the weather nice there? doesnt look too sunny in the background.. 🙁

1. Kelsey,
      Oh no, it WAS nice! Well, it was a bit gray and rainy for a bit of the time, but we were lucky for most of the trip 🙂 :).
      (Perhaps it doesn’t look so sunny because it was the evening?)