Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Running the NYC Marathon

Sometimes, in NYC, it feels like you’re running a marathon:

• Catch a train to Union Street, here. Take a tour of Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, there.
  • Visit the Natural History Museum here, the MoMa there.
  • Find your way to Times Square for your Broadway show at 8.
  • Quickly stop by the East Village to stock up on some vegan cheesecake cupcakes.

Above, one of last year’s vegan Cheesecake Cupcakes.

My first full day in NYC started with running for real.

I called the concierge the night before, inquiring about running routes. She gave me directions up to Central Park. “You can run forever in there,” she said. So, the next morning, I set out in search of Central Park. Running the 15 blocks to the park was a bit annoying; I had to keep going down side streets in order to stay moving during red lights. But once I found my way to the park, it was G-l-o-r-i-o-u-s! (If ya got lost with all those hyphens, the word I was going for was “glorious.”) The weather was perfect: a little cloudy/misty (it would rain later in the day), and in the 70s.

When you’re in NYC, there’s no need to play this game: Running and Imagination.

After breakfast and a shower, it was time for more exploring. I took it a little slower this time, walking instead of running. We walked around for awhile, people-watching and taking in the fast-paced NYC happenings.

Then we parted ways, and I ambled over to the Lifethyme Cafe.

On the menu for lunch: Pumpkin Lasagna! Ingredients: chard, red peppers, carrot, zucchini, tofu, olive oil, chia seeds, and pumpkin (Below, deconstructed on a bed of mixed greens)

Their lasagna was even better than last year’s Spinach-Quinoa Quiche.

Question of the Day:

Have you ever people-watched?

I love “people watching” no matter where I am: stores, restaurants, out running, etc. Especially when on vacation, I see the strangest sights! In Austin, we once saw a naked bike ride. In Barcelona, my family was unfortunate enough to view a very old man wearing nothing at all (except tattoos all over his body… yes, even there!). And today, we witnessed a man running down the street with a gas mask, black gloves, and patriotic spandex shorts.

Look out; Scary Spandex Man has a twin! 😕 Yipes..

1. Christin L. says:

There was another naked bike ride here in Austin a couple weeks ago! 🙂

2. Marilou says:

I spend my LIFE watching people … so much that the boyfriend keep telling me to stop … oops!

I’m the worst car passenger too because I love to watch people in their car .. especially those who sings hehe … and I don’t keep the conversation because of that

3. Glad you enjoyed running in central park! It’s one of my favorite places. I live here in the city and one of my favorite things about it is the constant ability to people watch! There are so many interesting people here and I always wonder what their story is. One of these days I’m going to go up to one of them and ask them!

I’ve never been to lifethyme cafe, so I’ll have to check it out! Enjoy your visit!

4. Ilana says:

Isn’t New York the BEST place to people watch? People going about their private lives in such close proximity to everyone else going about their private lives… Who needs television when you have PEOPLE?!

And yes some days it does seem like a marathon. I’m so used to the commuting and the trains that it’s like second nature to me but it’s so crazy sometimes. If I weren’t used to it I’d be totally intimidated by the system.

Central Park <3 <3 <3 … so m uch to see and do!!

5. Jessica says:

I people watch, always! Sometimes I have to watch my thoughts, because I’ll find myself judging people in my head. But honestly, it’s hard not to judge naked bike riders…right? 🙂

6. katie says:

haha strange people in nyc! where are you staying?xoxoo

7. spoonfulofsugarfree,
    I actually haven’t gone to the MoMa yet on this trip. Hopefully in a few weeks! We tried to go last year but discovered it was closed on Tuesdays, so we went next door to a cute Folk Art museum instead. But I’ve gone in years past and liked it :).

8. Jessica,
    Haha yeah, one’s judgment is definitely… umm clouded at times like that! 😉

9. Erika says:

Whoa! You have definitely seen many “sights” in your travels.

10. Run Sarah says:

Wow, that pumpkin lasagna looks great! I can’t wait to run in Central Park one day – looks like so much fun.

11. Katie says:

There is a man in my neighborhood who juggles while running. I saw him once at night and the balls he was juggling were glow in the dark. Very interesting sight to see and gosh he has a lot of coordination to do all that at once!

1. Katie,
      Wow, consider me jealous of that guy. I can’t even juggle more than two balls at a time standing STILL!

12. I LOVE people watching. People are just so interesting, especially in NYC. haha! That’s too funy.

13. BroccoliHut says:

Pumpkin lasagna??! Genius!
    I people watch ALL the time–I’m kind of doing it right now as a read my favorite blogs in the student center of my former university. I did a post a while back about people watching. Airports and libraries are the best for such activities:)

14. That lasagna looks so delicious! OMG! I do love people watching, but I bet its far more entertaining in NYC!

15. Renée says:

People watching is my not-so-secret favourite pasttime.
    My friend and I often sit in coffee shops and just watch people walking by.
    It’s also fun to put words in their mouths and recite what we feel like they might be saying 😀

16. VEGirl says:

Pumpkin lasagna? Sounds yummy to me! BTW I’m gonna make a breakfast Sundae today for breakfast!

17. Pumpkin lasagne looks amazing! Will have to visit the cafe next time I am on holiday in new york!

18. So jealous of your New York trip! My husband proposed to me there a couple years ago, and he said he was thinking of doing it at the Natural History Museum since we loved it so much! (he ended up doing it at Wollman Rink in Central Park, which was just as wonderful!)

Living in Los Angeles, you end up people-watching all the time! (and people are watching you all the time, too!) Everyone wants to spot a celebrity, I guess. 🙂

19. Marianne says:

People watching can definitely be entertaining. I often do so when I’m on transit, because really, what else is there to do on transit? LOL