About the Boy

The other day, I walked into a local sporting-good store, intent on scouting out the Nike running gear. But when I chanced upon the clerk in the shoe department, said running-gear-scouting was forgotten.

We talked for over an hour—first about running (which, it turns out, we both love), and then about basically every other topic under the sun. In the end, I did buy a new running outfit… and got a date at the same time!

shoeblur_thumb

Above, the outfit I bought on yesterday’s trip. Hey, I had to convince sports-store hottie’s boss that I wasn’t just taking up his employee’s valuable time.

clothes

And I needed this new running outfit. No really, I did. Ok, so maybe I didn’t. But when I got home and discovered I had a matching-colored sports bra…

greenport 269

Well, let’s just say I decided it was destiny that told me to buy the outfit.

EDIT: To answer a blog question from Runner Girl (a sweet blogger and reader): Were you nervous, or was it awkward, when you told [the boy] that you were a vegan?

Answer: As proud as I am to be a vegan, I will admit to sometimes feeling a little self-conscious telling people about it, due to how society views any ideas that deviate from the norm. (In other words, I’m entirely aware some people think vegans are freaks.) When I first became a vegan, I definitely did shy away from telling people. But as I’ve grown more self-confident, I’ve come to realize it doesn’t really matter what others think of my diet. After all, I don’t think their diet is the best, so why should I be offended if they don’t like mine? It certainly doesn’t mean we can’t be friends, agreeing to disagree. (In the few cases where someone can’t respectfully “agree to disagree” about my diet, well… who wants to be friends with such a person anyway?)

Also, I feel so passionately about my love for animals and disgust at their treatment on factory farms. If I don’t speak up, fewer people learn about the horrors that the meat industry hopes to keep quiet. So when I stay quiet, the animals suffer more because of my cowardice, and I am actually helping the meat industry.

When the subject came up, I was 100% candid with the boy. And he, in turn, was 100% cool with my veganism. In fact, he has two friends who are vegans. He’s not a vegetarian, but does love animals (with a rescue pup at home), and he is interested in the “clean eating” mentality. Like many athletic guys, he’s into the whole “protein” thing, and drinks a lot of protein shakes.

Question of the Day:

Do you ever feel awkward telling others about your healthy diet habits/quirks?

I used to worry that others would see my diet (and, by extension, me) as weird. But finally, I realized: This is who I am. Not everyone has to like it, as long as I am happy with my choices!

P.S. I’ll keep you updated on the date!! :)

Tags:

1. Jennifer - jcd says:

But you look smashing when you’re wearing a pink shirt, green shorts, and blue socks in the rain! Oh, and the new outfit with heels looks great on you. No matter what you wear, you always look fabulous!

Congratultions on landing a date with Sport-Store Hottie. I think it’s great, even if you know you’re leaving soon. Have fun!

As for me, sometimes I try to match my workout clothes but it rarely ever happens. Meh. It’s all going to be a sweaty mess in an hour, do it doesn’t matter.

2. Aww- yay! A date! :) Your new running outfit is my favorite color.. I do like to *sort of* match when I work out, but I’m not crazy over it.

3. Marina says:

I hope your date will be fun!
    I love your workout outfit! I don’t have such cool workout clothes, but I try to look somewhat ok during my runs. But the most important thing is I feel comfortable and that my pants aren’t falling down (yeah, happened more then once)

4. Yay for the date!!!

I never wear make up working out…… it just doesnt feel right! I do sometimes match my outfits though. Looking well put together in my workout wear makes the workout even more enjoyable!

5. Ann Claire says:

Congrats on your date! Have fun!
    As far as matching when working out I just try not to completely clash. For example I usually won’t wear red shorts and a pink shirt or something like that but that’s about the extent of my workout clothes matching. I would totally wear a pink shirt and green shorts!

6. Daniel says:

It doesn’t matter to me one bit what I wear to the gym – if people are going to judge me while I’m working out by the clothes that I wear, then let them! I went there to work up a sweat and get those endorphins running, not to look fancy! :)

7. Ilana says:

yay for a date with a cute boy!!!
    i’m not gonna lie, I put on eyeliner before I go to the gym or to Pilates. I have to get on a bus and a subway just to get there and I don’t need to expose my zombie-like un-eyelinered face to the public, especially when I usually see people I know haha. but as far as matching, beh, who cares?

8. So nice ! Have a great date and enjoy while it last!!! 😉

9. Anonymous says:

Nike tramp? Ha, more like Nike Model! You are absolutely stunning. They should hire you, Katie. Or at least the sporting goods store should. Then you could work with your guy! :)

1. Leslie says:

Sorry, that didn’t need to be anonymous. It was from me :).

10. Katrina says:

I match, but makeup? HA! Never. Unless I’m doing a race. Then maybe sometimes. :) Honestly, when I do wear makeup when I run, it pretty much just becomes a sweaty mess on my face. :)

11. Awh congrats on the date! I am insanely jealous 😛 of the boy AND your running outfit!
    I never match my workout clothes…actually, I do now – I bought my first ‘proper’ running clothes 2days ago, and I’m in love! I wear them all the time :p

12. Saraishealthy says:

That bra is so cute! I love the polka dots :). You’re beautiful, Katie! And I’m so excited to read more about the date!!!

13. THIS IS SO EXCITING! haha yea he might have been a little wary of ur “intentions” if you wore the heels into the store 😉

I’m trying to think of a good name for him but im kind of stumped which is rare! Hmm it’ll come to me sometime…

I’m positive that if you guys hit it off and hang out more he’ll end up eating more of your food once he gets a taste of how delicious clean eating is (not to mention you’ll reel him in with ur fudge babies) !!

and i love how ironically the sports bra matched! i bought a pair of bikini bottoms the other day and thought “wow this will totally match my bikini top” but when i went home it was totally off haha.. fail.. oh well.

xoxo <3

14. christina says:

aww katie that is so awesome!! i love that he has already asked you out!! i FINALLY met a boy at the gym that i’ve been eyeing forever and he just asked me out too! we’re lucky girls this week! i’m excited for you and you must tell us how it goes :) :) good luck!!! plan a cute outfit!

15. hahahaha! i laughed so hard at the high heels with running shorts. i love the outfit btw good luck on your date 😉

16. Amanda says:

I just started reading your blog yesterday and I love it! Nice to know there’s someone out there who loves running, delicious healthy food, and animals! I’ll definitely be following this post. I became vegan last Easter and have felt amazing since making the change, and it’s definitely helped my running :)

1. Aww thanks for the sweet comment, Amanda! It’s great to “meet” you hehe :).

17. Carbzilla says:

Whoohooo! Date! Date! Date!

I never match hardly ever and that includes at the gym (wait, where’s my gym again?). I’ll be wearing either rolled out of bed make-up or end of day make-up. Those are the options.

have fun :)

18. Run Sarah says:

Have fun on your date – I love stir fry restaurants, so good! I never match on my runs – I often purposely choose bright coloured/mismatched top & shorts on outdoor runs to be more visible.

19. Jess says:

Have fun on your DATE! Can’t wait to hear alllll about it 😀

20. radioactivegan says:

Congratulations! Have fun on your hot date :)