Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Strawberry Shortcake in a bowl

Strawberry Shortcake in a Bowl!

What love looks like in gastronomic form.

Strawberry Shortcake in a Bowl

A variation of the breakfast Blueberry Muffin Pudding

• 60g strawberries (about a heaping 1/2 cup)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener, if desired
  • 2 tbsp creamer (such as Silk)
  • 1 serving cooked oatmeal or bulgur (see: how to cook bulgur)

Combine all ingredients in your blending gadget (I use a Magic Bullet). I love using frozen berries, as it makes the pudding super-cold and satisfying after a hot run. If you go this route, thaw the berries just a bit, so they blend more easily.

1. I get that never-want-it-to-end feeling after basically every’s lovely, but frustrating at the same time, cos it ALWAYSends. Boo.
    I like strawberries blended with cereal, milk, yogurt, banana, vanilla extract. SO good!

2. Marilou says:

I’m a girl! I always want to hear about boys – Come on 😀

1. Hela says:

may i sign that? 😉

3. I’m not so keen on strawberries, though I love them when they are dried. They taste great! (That “shortcake” sandwich looks great though!) :)

4. Sarahishealthy says:

Oh that is the prettiest breakfast ever! My favorite strawberry recipe is definitely strawberry shortcake. With lots of whipped cream! I bet it’d be good with your whipped cream in a bowl.

1. Valerie says:

Yup, I’ve made strawberry shortcake with Katie’s whipped cream in a bowl. So I can tell you: it IS amazing! You don’t miss the dairy cream one bit! 😉

5. Faith says:

I always loved strawberries in a sour cream/brown sugar dip when I was a little girl…now I think I’m going to experiment with a silken tofu/agave/brown sugar dip to healthify/veganize it. It always was such a favorite of mine!

Of COURSE I want to hear more about the boy! My love life is so disheveled right now I need all the vicarious stories I can get 😉

6. Valerie says:

My favorite strawberry recipe is homemade strawberry jam, hands-down!

7. Kelly says:

That’s the prettiest-colored breakfast ever!

I’m so glad to hear your date went well – having no awkward silences is a very good sign. :) I bet most of us want to hear more, so please – share away!

8. Favorite way to eat strawberries? With chocolate of course!!! 😀

I love your strawberry makes me think of my grandfather. Everytime we go visit, he *always* has shmooshed strawberries, shortcake, and ice cream. It never fails. :)

1. abby says:

that’s my favorite way too! with chocolate! who can say no to a chocolate covered strawberry???
      katie, you should combine the chocolate cream pie bulgur and the strawberry one!

9. ecogrrl says:

my homemade strawberry jam used to make my bittersweet chocolate truffles…MMM!

10. Run Sarah says:

I’m eating strawberries in oatmeal right now – yum!

11. strawberries are good with just about anything. i think my favorite is either baked in muffins or scones.. or used as a topping for waffles <3

hey, but theyre good wrapped in chocolate too :) classic

12. Hela says:

that looks absolutely delicious!!
    i love to keep it simple with strawberries: i mostly eat them plain, preferably straight from a strawberry field :) but i also like em in smoothies.
    i had some for breakfast yesterday morning and they were lovely!!
    excited to hear more about “the” boy, katie!!

13. Bonnie says:

I love this cheerful post! That breakfast looks bowl looks so delicious and refreshing, I’ll have something like that too :)

I think my favourite way to eat strawberries is just… a big bowl of strawberries. They’re already so perfectly sweet and juicy and delicious on their own! But I really love them in muffins as well. Or dipped in chocolate fondue…

1. Bonnie says:

*I’ll have to try something like that

sorry, that sentence got messed up a bit (:

14. Leslie says:

Oooh you’re cheating on the boy already? Hahaha but I’d cheat with Mr. DCD peanut butter too. You turned me onto that stuff and now I am HOOKED!

15. todayslady says:

DCD and I have a thing too!

My favorite way to eat strawberries so far is in a smoothie with chocolate protein powder but that may change if I try your strawberry shortcake. Looks super yummy :)

1. Wha?? He told me we were exclusive! I’ll have to have a word with him ;).

16. YUM! Strawberry shortcake is one of my favs!

17. that look sososo good! Do you think it would work with wheatberries??

1. I don’t see why not! After all, they’re pretty similar to bulgur :).

18. Anonymous says:

Yummy post, thanks. Request: if you get a chance while you are still in New York, would you consider going “dumpster diving” on Park Ave.? I wish I could do it, but I’m nowhere near New York. :-) Just a thought :-)

1. lol I’m actually not in NYC anymore.

19. Laura says:

I have a love/hate relationship with strawbs! Sometimes i LOVE them…sometimes i HATE them…(never woulda guessed that eh!?).
    It’s probably not the most nutritious butttttttt strawberries dipped (smothered) with milk chocolate…..YUM! xx

20. Jess says:

Mmm, talk about a summer breakfast!!

21. Anonymous says:

So excited to hear more about the boy! I hafta live vicariously through you!

22. Anonymous says:

Oh yeah, and I’m making that pudding ASAP!

23. ruby red says:

Hahaha YAAAAAAAAAY! I am glad about this “striking a balance” decision – I loved this post about strawberry shortcake and hearing about your blossoming love life too… Hmm, I do have an “in a bowl” idea – replace the strawberries with blueberries and either A.) drizzle Sun Butter on top or B.) blend in a couple teaspoons or more of Sun Butter! Blueberries and sunflower seed butter were meant to be together! On a side note, do not buy the non-natural/non-organic version of Sun Butter…it is horrible!

1. Hmmm… I think I tried sunbutter once and hated it. So now I’m going to have to look and see which one I tried!

24. The Vegan! says:

To answer the hidden question (for more ideas on breakfast sundea’s) i want to post about my breakfast this morning, which might have been just as delish as yours if not better 😮
    I had pumpkin pie oatmeal! I was inspired by your oatmeal creativity, and I’ve been craving pumpkin lately, even though its not fall.
    Well, it was bob’s red mill 7 grain cereal, but whatever. I added half cup of canned pumpkin and half cup of apple sauce, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, raisins and walnuts. It was soooo tasty. I was planning on having it tomorrow too, but i think i’ll try strawberry shortcake instead!

1. Hmmm… well if you’re trying mine, I might just have to try YOURS tomorrow!!

25. This post is perfect for me right now! I, too, have a big container of organic strawberries in my fridge that I’m trying like crazy to use up. It’s not that I don’t love them, because I do, but I desperately don’t want them to go bad. Thank you for all the splendid ideas–I think I will make that fantastic strawberry shortcake sandwich tomorrow! :)

26. Aww, love. Who doesn’t want to hear about the boy?! I think we all do. 😀

I love to use strawberries in trifles! It was the dessert of this meal, even if the link says enchiladas. 😛

27. karlielawson says:

hi katie!
    Im new to the blog world :)
    and shy as to how to start off?
    well I love running, and like you, I eat tons
    to maintain and very teeny and shorty frame haha :)
    well hope we can be friends! Or fellow blog followers hehe
    bye x

1. Hi girl! So nice to “meet” you :) :). I’d love to be friends!

28. Anonymous says:

When are we going to see the “CCK Goes to College Part 2” post?! I know you’ve been busy lately, so just wondering :) Thanks Katie!

1. Hmmm…. I have to get around to writing it! Thanks for the reminder!! :)

29. I want to hear more about the boy! 😀

30. Rachael says:

I’ve been reading your blog for about a year, but I haven’t commented until now.

Around the time I became a vegan, I had been struggling with anorexia for years and I was trying to gain healthier eating habits. I skipped meals when I knew I shouldn’t because there was no joy, or even satisfaction, in eating. Your blog has helped me so much. I never liked breakfast foods, but all your ideas for breakfasts have changed my mind. I never thought of mixing so many different flavors into oatmeal and creating completely different meals before I found your blog. I am now in love with oatmeal and have decided it is a great after-run meal. I made this Strawberry Shortcake in a Bowl this morning with oatmeal as a second breakfast. It was heavenly!

I just wanted to thank you. I have made so many of your recipes in the last year and you have given me tons of ideas for recipes, and my thank you to you is long overdue. You are amazing! Your blog is my absolute favorite! I even follow you on facebook, so I can make sure I don’t miss any posts. Thank you again.

1. Wow, Rachael, your comment was so amazingly sweet! It meant so much to me; I can’t even begin to tell you! So thank YOU for taking the time out of your day to make MINE brighter :).

31. That strawberry shortcake in a bowl looks so good! Love the color! So pretty!

I love strawberries! I love to eat strawberries plain, but I also like to add them to yogurt, parfaits, ice cream, cereal, and salads! Oh, and I love to make strawberry smoothies with frozen strawberries!