Smashing Chickpeas

Smashing Chickpeas

(serves 1-2)

This recipe is one of my go-to ideas for when I don’t have much time to cook.

• 1 cup canned chickpeas
  • a little under 1 cup spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce (about 200g)
  • salt, if desied

Combine and smash with a fork. Looks weird, tastes terrific!

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Claire says:

Ah that’s so cool that he reacted well! I always feel a bit embarassed (as a wheat and dairy intolerant girl who likes her healthy food!) since I think they’ll judge me as a faddy eater, who’s deliberately cutting things out to lose weight. Hate that! Luckily most people react with “OMG that must be hard!”. I’d really rather not have these issues, seriously!

2. I feel awkward telling people about it sometimes, because they seem to thing I’m really high maintenance when I tell them I’m a vegan! haha Most people seem to be pretty cool with it. Usually they just say something like “How can you give up cheese?!?!” haha

3. I love your comment “After all, I don’t think their diet is the best, so why should I be offended if they don’t like mine?” So true. I am such a people pleaser and am having to come to a place where I’m not bothered by people’s opinions of my diet/lifestyle/parenting/choices/etc.

In Living Raw Food, Serma Meln….(can’t remember how to spell her last name) makes a comment that when people ask her if she is allowed to eat certain things she always thinks “I am allowed to eat anything. I choose not to eat certain things.”

1. Hehe I pity Sarma when she was a little girl and had to learn to spell her own last name!
      But what a great comment. My mom tells me that sometimes, when I say, “I can’t eat that.” She’ll be like, “Well, you COULD; you just don’t WANT to.” Ok mom, if we’re being 100% literal ;)…

2. Hela says:

that´s defo a great comment!! i feel exactly the same with my diet (part vegan, part vegetarian). i can´t stand it when people say like “how can you disclaim this or that?”…
      i am really proud of my diet and am ok with telling everybody about it, but what bothers me sometimes is how judgemental people are and how less they know about vegetarians/vegans!

4. I feel pretty awkward tellling people, especially in England- veganism is much more rare here than in the USA, and people do judge 🙁

1. Oh it’s true! Veganism is so much more mainstream over here now! If people give me weird looks, I just say, “Well Ellen DeGenerous, who’s like the new Oprah, is vegan, so it’s not as uncommon/fringe as you might think!”

1. Emma says:

I always tell people Paul McCartney is a vegan. That kind of wakes them up a little.

2. Eric Jaffa says:

britchickruns –

Vegans are rare in most parts of the US, too.

5. Jennifer - jcd says:

Ahhhh, Smashing Chickpeas! You and my husband must have been on the same brainwave, because he made chickpeas in pasta sauce for supper too. It tasted so good. We put the leftovers atop pita bread and made pizza the next day.

Any-who… I’m so happy your new beau was so accepting of your vegan lifestyle. I always feel a bit awkward telling people I am vegan, but it is getting easier. Most of the time it goes over really well but the odd time it is pure disaster. Confidence helps, as does knowledge and an open non-threatening attitude. And great vegan treats… you can win everyone over with fudge babies and cookies. 🙂

1. I wasn’t going to smash them at first, but they weren’t holding the sauce very well. Smash = problem solved!

1. Jennifer - jcd says:

Ours weren’t mashed, but my husband’s solution wa to cook them in the sauce until the sauce was thicker and stuck to the chickpeas more. I’ll tell him that mashing is faster and easier and just as tasty. 🙂

6. Tricia says:

lol, i always feel awkward when telling people that i’m a vegetarian because i’m afraid that they’ll see me as a snob or something, or like i’m gonna be offended when they eat meat. I’m not. They always think it’s really hard, but it’s really quite simple.
    P.s., i made the strawberry shortcake in a bowl and loved it 🙂

1. Aw Tricia, I’m so excited you made it!!

7. Eric Jaffa says:

I lived on Long Island, NY in 1988.

I didn’t know any vegans at the time. I hadn’t heard the term “vegan” yet.

1. Wow, I was still a baby back then! I don’t think I heard the term “vegan” til I was in high school!

8. good for you! Sounds like a catch already. I think that vegan shouldn’t feel impolite or uncomfortable about telling others. I have before but the longer Im vegan the less it bothers me.

9. vegetalion says:

When I first went vegan, I only knew one other vegan, and she was loud and preachy and very PETA-esque about her veganism, which is the opposite way I approach being vegan. So I never told anyone unless they asked, because I was hesitant to ever be labeled as preachy, self-righteous, etc, just because of my ethics. But after a couple years (and after meeting a lot more vegans) I realized that I shouldn’t let one bad apple spoil the bunch–I am proud of my veganism, and shouldn’t keep it like a secret! So whenever I end up talking restaurants/recipes/food with anyone, I mention it.

1. Emma says:

I agree. Man do preachy PETA vegans drive me crazy. I wish more vegans took the more humble approach to it, because I have come across more than one person that tells me all vegans are crazy PETA preaching environmentalists!

10. Leslie says:

Smashing chickpeas? I love your sense of humor! 🙂
    Easy meals are my favorites, and I love a big bowl of brocci!

11. Sarahishealthy says:

I’m not a vegan, but I DO have a hard time telling boys especially about my healthy diet. They look at me and roll their eyes when I pass up a piece of cake, like “Oh it’s another salad-only girl.” I’m sorry to give us girls such a bad stereotype! But I don’t just eat salad, I promise! I might not want the white-flour cake, but it doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy my (healthy) treats every once in a while. And chocolate! So I’m not as weird as it may seem!
    🙂

12. Roselie says:

Actually no I ‘m proud to be a vegan and I don’t care what people say. Those who are doing the right thing are always looked down upon but I am not going to let it dicate my life. And why on earth should I be self-concious? Because I am trying not to cause deliberate pain? Because I respect and try to help innocent lives? Because I actually live with the values that most of us are tought (in some way at least) and not ignore them for just the sake of my comfort? If those people took only a moment to realize that all those things they admire (and envy) on people who live their lives honorably can actually have their practical side on veganism they’d berate themselves for being so clouded minded and letting their laziness dictate their minds and lives.
    love your thoughts by the way .“After all, I don’t think their diet is the best, so why should I be offended if they don’t like mine?” Soo true.

13. Around here people have usually already “heard” we’re vegan when I meet them, but just in case they didn’t know I wear a necklace that says “vegan”. I’m proud to be unapologetically vegan!! 🙂

14. Leah says:

I started eating chickpeas with pasta sauce this summer and love it; so quick, healthy, and tasty, and you don’t even have to waste time boiling water for pasta. Pintos are also good with pasta sauce, FYI (which surprised me).

1. EVERYthing is good with pasta sauce!! Well, maybe not chocolate… 🙂

15. McKella says:

I’ve been experimenting with my diet a lot this year, and it’s been hard to explain to my husband and family. I eat vegan some of the time, vegetarian most of the time, omni sometimes, etc. I try to be healthy and eat what I feel like eating, and usually leave it at that.

16. Danielle says:

I used to feel really uncomfortable telling people I was vegan (for the judgements that you mentioned above). But I’ve become a lot more open about it! Because seriously…if someone is going to judge you based on your eating habits then they’re not worth your time 😉

The other day, one of my friends (who recently found out I was vegan), asked what I had for dinner and I said “Soup, english muffin, & chickenless salad” and he responded by looking sad and saying “that sounds so bland.” hahah if only people read my blog… 🙂

1. Seriously! Your food is ANYthing but bland! I would’ve given a right arm (maybe not mine hehe) for a slice of your red velvet cake the other day!!

17. Yes, I don’t bring up my dairy-free-ness unless needed or unless they ask. People don’t get it, and I often don’t feel like explaining 🙂 Plus, if I had a dollar for every time I had to listen to “I could NEVER live without cheese …”

Anywho, so glad the hottie is cool with it!

1. Ugh yeah, I think I hear that one more than “Where do you get your protein?” which is saying something, because sometimes it seems EVERYone asks the protein question!

18. Krystina says:

My veganism/eating habits are actually some of the first things I discuss with new boys/people. It’s a huge part of who I am so I have no reason to shy away.

19. Run Sarah says:

The chickpea and pasta sauce combo sounds great! My meals can be a bit ‘out there’ to some – so sometimes I worry about strange looks etc when I whip out my packed lunch, but for the most part, I don’t care too much.

20. Lucy says:

Hi Katie, I’ve been following your blog for a few months now and have enjoyed it! I’m not vegan but I do try to make dairy free and healthy things to eat. For example, yesterday was my 2 year olds birthday and I decided to make a peanut butter and chocolate (carob) pie totally dairy and refined sugar free with some coconut milk ice cream. I was nervous feeding my family this for dessert because it was so different. My husband thought it was delicious so we went with it. My dad hated it and my husband said when I was out of the room my dad would say 3 or 4 times how much he didn’t like it. Almost like he was upset that I didnt’ have a traditional sugary overly frosted cake. And I love my dad and I was a little hurt when I heard that he said over and over that he didn’t like it. Plus it was a lot of time and effort to make it so he could of at least been polite. He openly showed his rebellion by eating the rest of our whipped cream out of the can (I provided that compromise for my familys sake). So yes it is definitely hard to tell people about the things I make and how I’m trying to be healthy. But I think that people judge us so harshly sometimes because they ultimately feel guilty about their diet. My dad has had cancer amidst other problems and I openly told him that she sugary and refined foods are cancer causing. Instead of telling people I just try to lead by example instead. Me and my husband use to be vegetarian and are wanting to go back to at least that. Some of my husbands family members have been vegan and all raw so we definitely have a testimony of what that lifestyle can do. Hopefully one day we can cut all of the junk out of our diet. Sorry to vent but I guess that question hit close to home for me!

1. Hi Lucy! Oh no, I’m actually GLAD you vented, because it makes ME feel like I’m not alone in struggling with others’ comments about my healthy diet. I definitely agree with your statement that sometimes others judge out of guilt. And sometimes they judge simply because people are afraid of what they don’t understand!