Goodbyes and Leftovers

I always knew it had to end, but when the time actually came to say goodbye, it hurt just the same. Oh gosh, you are probably all rolling your eyes at my mushy-gushiness! But I’m sad about a boy right now, and I don’t care who knows it!

Who can say if this is the end for Sports Store Hottie and me…

We’re certainly going to stay in touch, via email and facebook. Just another reason I’m grateful for technology. In any case, I’m getting all packed up and ready to leave, which means… muchos leftovers!

NYC2010 089

Brown rice, mushrooms with a new sauce (more on that later), and the favorite broccoli bowl

I’m such a good kid, I’m even helping to use up others’ leftovers! 😉 In this case, others refers to my cousins, who ordered Chinese food at 3AM. For the shroomies, I tried a new sauce from Whole Foods: Spectrum Organic Cajun Barbecue Sauce. Verdict? This is good stuff! It has a taste reminiscent to Indian masala sauce, with a definite spicy kick to it. Besides the mushrooms, I’ve also tried it on grilled tofu, brussels sprouts (below), and okra.

caj

My cousins were apparently given so much extra rice that there was even enough for me to eat the next night! Normally, rice isn’t my favorite thing. I prefer the taste of barley or bulgur. But I hate to see perfectly-good food go to waste (especially when I don’t have to prepare it).

NYC2010 087

Ok, so it’s not the prettiest mess. But I did warn you that—as part of my being real—I was going to start posting ugly meals, because my meals aren’t always “perfect”-looking. Also, both of the meals above are a bit smaller than usual for me, but that’s just because we really are running out of food! I’m supplementing with lots of nuts, nut butters, and other non-perishables we have lying around.

Question of the Day:

Have you ever been upset over a boy? I am a huge proponent of powerful women, and I balk at the idea of anyone who feels she “needs a man.” I don’t think I’ve ever cried over one, nor have I done the “ice cream pint-eating” thing. But if I’m being honest, I can’t say I’ve never let boys get to me.

1. Gina G says:

Katie i am in the same boat as you missy (a little shorter distance though). I started my new job about a month ago at this produce market and well….. their is this reallyyy cute and super nice guy that works there. The problem is, today is his last day working there because he is going away to college over 3 hours away. I am so disappointed and keep yelling at myself to snap out of it haha. The only good thing is that though my bestfriend is going there as well and he told me to let him know when I go and visit. So lets just say i am looking forward to my visits haha

keep your head up and have a wonderful day Katie girl! 🙂

2. Caitlin says:

Oh hugs to you! I don’t think it’s any slight against your stance as a strong woman to admit that you’ve been hurt by a boy before. I consider myself a feminist, and yet I have definitely cried over a breakup in the past!

3. Krystina says:

We’ve all been there, sweetheart. You’ll be okay. 🙂 You had fun, right? That’s all that counts.

4. Jenny says:

Our quick meal is definitely pasta with sauce, throw some frozen broccoli in the cooking water, and sprinkle plenty of hempseeds over the final dish – and beans if we have some in the fridge.

Aww…being sad over a boy stinks! I can’t believe you’ve never cried over one. I’ve been looking through my old diaries because I’ve been taking part in a blogging thing on my homeschool/family blog – every week we write about the next year of our lives. I think I was constantly crying over boys back in the day. :0 I’m trying to figure out how to keep my daughter from making boys the center of her life…I want her to do better than I did. Anybody have any suggestions?

1. Sports!! 🙂
      Definitely get her into sports. When you’re focused on practicing for a sport, there’s just no time for boys ;). Same thing with art classes, or pottery, or something similar.

5. shesarunner says:

I think your food looks very appetizing! It’s very colorful actually. Maybe I’m weird haha.

Anyway, yes I’ve been upset over relationships that have ended and things like that. How can we not be? I think it is fairly normal. Anytime you have to say good bye to someone you care about, or if things don’t work out the way you hoped they would…and even (in your case) if you knew the good bye was coming, it still is not easy. I don’t think that makes you any less of an empowered woman. I think it just makes you human!

6. Ever been upset over a boy? Oh my gosh, yes! . . . I let a punk control my emotions for both freshman anddd sophomore year.

7. gaby says:

Aw, I love your chopsticks! You’re so cute 🙂 I’m going to Benihana today for lunch and am really excited to use some hehe.
    I have trouble leaving food to go to waste too so I eat leftovers of any kind, and everyone else’s too. My family has the most annoying habit of refusing to eat anything leftover. EVER. but they don’t throw it away either, it just sits in the fridge while they complain that there’s “nothing to eat!” so unless it’s meaty, I take care of it for them. I think your meals look wonderful! Probably because they look like mine!

Oh gosh, I have shed far too many tears over boys! But you know, it’s not really about being a feminist or not, or for or against powerful women. Of course we can be powerful and independent, but we’re also human, and that means caring for others. I don’t date too much, but have had 2 extra long relationships and one shorter one last year but with perhaps the most compatible to me person I’ve ever found. The first one was my high school sweetheart. You can bet I probably could have accumulated buckets worth of tears ending a 4 year relationship. The second relationship lasted a year and he turned out to be a jerk. He didn’t deserve the tears, but they happened.
    And the guy I dated last year is now in Paris perfecting his French, modeling, and acting in movies and Shakespeare festivals in Prague…umm I kind of still want to cry when I see his modeling shots but know that he’s so far away! Ugh, oh well, more fish in the sea! (or veggies in the garden?)

1. Hahaha our families might be related! Well, mine just says “Oh, I’ll eat that tomorrow.” Then, of course they forget what’s in the fridge, and perfectly good food gets thrown out! Me, I buy a lot, but I remember what I’ve bought, so I make sure to throw as little out as possible!

8. Carbzilla says:

You’ve never cried over a boy? Oh lordy, I’ve been doing it since the boy I liked punched me in the stomach in 3rd grade (turns out he liked me!). Maybe even before that! Consider yourself spared many years of heartache.

You have every right to be sad, but you have many ways to keep in touch and you truly never know what may happen. 🙂

1. Perhaps I’ve just never LET myself cry over them, because I felt like a strong woman shouldn’t let a guy have that much power over her. But now that I’m older (and hopefully wiser hehe) I know that there’s no shame in crying! So I’m sure I’ll experience it in the future.

9. AW, so sorry you had to say goodbye. Hopefully you will stay in touch and see him again soon.

Thanks for the recommendation on the BBQ sauce. I’ve had a horrible time finding one without HFCS (have been making sauce from scratch at home instead). The only one our store carries that doesn’t have HFCS is Annie’s, and as much as I love Annie’s brand, that stuff is horrible!

1. Oh Alisa, I agree! It’s too sweet and not “barbecue-y” enough!

10. Katelyn says:

Yes, I have! Usually I’m tough as a nail and don’t ever let boys get to me, but when I got my first serious long-term boyfriend a couple years back, fights and breaking up always left me a total mess.

11. Kudos to you for never letting them get to you! That falls under the “If I knew then what I know now” mantra. When I was 14, I was actually (and this is embarrassing!) so “in love” and absolutely obsessed with someone I developed an eating disorder…I just stopped eating! It evolved into a full blown mess, that had to be treated 🙁

I’ve never seen that BBQ sauce! I try not to buy anything with HFCS in it…so I was using Organicville BBQ sauce, which wasn’t terrible. Did you see this article on HFCS? I never know how much stock to put in things, but still…

1. Thanks for the link, Miss Jessica! I’ll be sure to check it out!

P.S. I think the bbq sauce is new, so you’ll probably start to see it soon.

12. Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear says:

Oh Katie, you’ll be all right! 🙂 are you going to keep contact?

I’ve been upset many many times, but also very happy!

13. Katie says:

Big hugs! You have EVERY right to be sad! Everyone wants companionship, whether you are a strong woman or not! And you ARE a strong woman. I’ve definitely been sad over a guy…definitely cried…definitely. Hopefully you guys can stay in touch – you never know what might happen! 😉

14. Little Bookworm says:

I think your dinner looks lovely! 🙂 My go-to meals are often pasta with sauce and vegetables, or pasta/barley, pesto and vegetables.

15. thedelicateplace says:

of course i’ve been upset over a guy before! i’m happily married now but sure in my early dating days, it’s perfectly normal…in fact it’s what makes us human! we are a relational species and to intentional detach for fear of being hurt would be unhealthy. whatever will be, will be! i hope you stay in touch, the future is only what you make of it!

16. Danielle says:

Aw, that’s sad! But I’m sure you guys will keep in contact via other forms of technology 🙂

I don’t think I’ve ever been really, really upset over a boy. I’m extremely independent & although I’ve been sad, I can’t say I’ve ever cried! Some of my friends call me an emotional rock haha

17. Tricia says:

My go-to food is rice :P. I lOVE rice lol. My whole family eats it maybe four or five times a week because we get this boil-in-a-bag rice from Krogers which takes like 10 minutes to make.
    Sorry about you having to part with the boy.
    I tend to cry over boys, but only if i’m really into them. Normally, i try not to get too invested though..

18. erinsloves says:

Boys, boys, boys…I’ve definitely cried over a boy- so happy I now have one who doesn’t make me cry!

I am a strong believer that everything that we do/or every person we meet, happens for a reason. Who knows maybe you met him just to show you that their is a different guy out their who can be equally as awesome as this one, or maybe you met him because he IS the one you should be with!

The only advice I have is keep in touch with the boy, cause you never know what will happen!!

19. Laura says:

It’s amazing what facebook can do for a relationship;-) xx

20. Jenny says:

I’ve been upset over boys far too many times. Denver boys are jerks, I guess.. (even the vegan ones) ;(… I hope you and your boy keep in touch though, sounds like he’s one of the good’ns.