Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Don’t be afraid to be Yourself

Before I left NY, I made sure to catch up with a few friends. And by friends, I mean those of the fur variety. Lions and tigers and… horses and pigs and cows and bunny rabbits and geese and goats and, well, you get the idea. Yesterday, I saw all these guys and more. Whenever I visit my grandma (who lives in Rhinebeck, NY), I make sure to visit the Catskill Animal Sanctuary, which is only about 10 minutes from her house.

These cutie-pie lambs obviously do not share my diet philosophy, judging by all the grass they ate. Mmmmm, nothing like fresh… straw?  I don’t know who had more fun: the animals or my mom! There’s just something so peaceful about being with animals. They don’t gossip or judge you, they don’t put on airs or have devious motives, and as long as you show them love (and food!), they will love you right back.

Now, the goats might eat your dress. (Happened to me at a petting zoo in kindergarten.) But they mean well, I swear!

Above, with Casey the horse.

And finally, below, I am feeding Babe (the humongous cow). A few seconds after the photo was taken, the CAS workers gave me some real food for the guy. “What is it?” I asked. When the worker answered with what I thought was “Beef,” I was completely grossed out and about to decline. Then I realized, “Wait a sec; This is a vegan place. He couldn’t have said beef!” Turns out, he didn’t. The food was beets! (To be exact, beets and mushrooms and brown rice. Food for building strong, healthy cows hehe)

Cow food must taste better than it looks. Babe gobbled it up!

1. Jennifer - jcd says:

Cuteness overload!

I feel good about being myself most days, but even moreso when I am at home with my husband and kitties. Then I can roam the house in pyjamas all day, do what I want, when I want, and and be completely content with life.

Have a safe (and sleepy) flight home.

2. Daniel says:

It’s unfortunate that we can’t feel comfortable being ourselves 100% of the time, seeing as we are who we are, why should we change because someone doesn’t like it? But to answer the question, I feel most comfortable around really good friends, and my close family (the relatives I see more than once or twice a year).

Really adorable animal photos. I’d like to pet a cow, it’s been so long since I’ve done that. I’d also like to get over my fear of horses, but that’s a different story 😛

3. Faith says:

It sounds crazy, but I feel most comfortable being myself at a sports bar or even just a friends house watching a football game. It always makes me feel connected to my grandpa since we always watched it together when I was a kid, and it’s very possibly the one thing I enjoy the most in life. I feel the most comfortable as me when I’m planted in a chair for 10 hours of my favorite pastime 🙂

4. Amanda says:

I feel most comfortable around my 7 month old beagle puppy; he loves me all the time, especially when I’m running and rolling around with him in the grass, covered in puppy hair and dirt and possibly puppy licks! I just became vegan last Easter and would really love to go to an animal sanctuary…but I didn’t see any in Boulder when I googled it! Do you know any other way to locate nearby animal sanctuaries? I thought they were most everywhere.

1. I guess the only other way (besides Google) I know of is to go to a local health-food store and ask. We found out about the Catskill Sanctuary via a brochure at the Rhinebeck HFS! 🙂

1. Amanda says:

thanks! I’ll check it out!

5. Caitlin says:

Cute photos, Katie! They’re beautiful. The animals look so happy!

6. Bonnie says:

Awww, cute! That looks like so much fun – I’d love to visit an animal sanctuary too 🙂

7. Sarahishealthy says:

I’m most comfortable around my family. But I’m working on showing my true self to my friends as well.

8. Valerie says:

Oh Katie, it looks like such a peaceful place! I often take my kids to the local animal farm, because I believe that interaction with animals is very important. I’m sure you’ve heard the studies that say living with a dog adds years to your life! 🙂

9. anonymous says:

Sadly, I’m most comfortable when I am drunk. It’s the only time I can really feel free to be silly and not be judged. It’s sad, but I know I’m not the only one who struggles with this. Many teens share my struggles, I know! At least knowing I’m not alone makes me feel a little better.

10. Justine says:

Thats kind of an intense question for the morning time! It just depends on when I feel most like myself. Ive been told that I seem most like myself when I’m around my family but I’m not sure. I’m not a terribly social person though (a fear of judgement gets in the way) bit nothing beats quality time with my dog, Thelma. 🙂

11. Marina says:

Being a veterinary medicine student, I feel the best among animals 🙂 When my cat jumps into my bed in the morning, wanting to cuddle. I also feel like myself with my boyfriend, and his parents, they always make me feel so safe.

12. Leslie says:

I was lucky enough to get to Farm Sanctuary once. It was such an amazing place, and after that my meat eating MOTHER decided cold turkey to stop eating meat!

13. Erika says:

I liked your tid-bit about an animal eating your dress in kindergarden. When I was little (about 6-7) my family took me to a petting so and a horse started eating hair clips right out of my hair! Haha! I wasn’t even scared! 🙂

14. Mo says:

This whole post is adorable. Including your grandma! 🙂

Haha the beef/beets thing cracked me up. Stuff like that happens to me all the time. 😛

15. Eric Jaffa says:

Where is your purple shirt from?

16. Christin L. says:

Is that your mom in the top picture? Where did she get that purse? It is SO cute!

1. Yeah :). It’s Vera Bradley. My mom is in love with that stuff! Haha but not as much as a lady we met once who apparently had Vera Bradley toilet paper. Scary…

1. Christin L. says:

VB toilet paper! ? That is truly bonkers!! 😀

17. abby says:

oh too cute, katie! i love it! i think i am most myself when i’m cuddled up with my puppy on the couch with a movie 🙂 :).

18. Jess says:

SUCH FUN! 😀 Love the cuteeee animals.
    <3 jess

19. Dianne says:

What a beautiful Babe! I’m glad you had fun, and I always kind of wished I could live on a farm 🙂