High-Protein Spaghetti??

I love little health-food stores.

You can find things you’ve never seen before at the big ole Whole Foods. Case in point: spaghetti made entirely from black beans! Strange pastas just seem to find me; I’ve even seen chocolate pasta before. And you might recall my “mushroom spaghetti” post.

Seeing how much I love pasta, it was a given that I snatched up the following black bean spaghetti as soon as it caught my eye at a little health-food store in Rhinebeck, New York:

black bean spaghetti

The black bean pasta is too cool! Ingredients? Black beans and water. I kid you not, that is it. Protein per serving? 20.5 grams. As someone who tends to favor carbs over protein-rich foods (Mock meat-lover? Notsomuch), I really appreciate that last statistic.

high protein spaghetti

But of course, all of this is a moot point if the pasta doesn’t taste good.

Guess what… it does!  Don’t be discouraged if, upon opening the package, you find a seaweed-type smell. I promise you that—once cooked—these noodles taste nothing like seaweed. They are NOT those smelly shirataki noodles. What, then, do they taste like? The black bean spaghetti has a hearty, yet mild and inoffensive, taste. The texture mimics that of a rubber band, and the noodles are much more filling than regular pasta. (Perhaps this is partially due to their high protein count.) (Above, my dinner from last night: black bean spaghetti, sautéed garlic-y peppers, steamed b sprouts, and walnuts)

The makings of a meal: Layer 1: Yummy rubber bands black bean pasta

high protein pasta

Layer 2: add the brussels guys

NYC2010 266

And finally, Layer 3: Add the sautéed peppers and walnuts

bbpasta2

It was delish! But if a dish has garlic, it’s pretty much guaranteed I’ll be a fan.

Tags:

1. emma says:

I’m on a shiritaki noodle kick, either angle hair or tofu spaghetti, I also love love love spaghetti squash as a pasta replacement. That bean spaghetti look amazing though, I’m going to have to look for some.

2. Oh that pasta is right up my street!! I like kamut spaghetti, and chickpea spaghetti – best thing ever, with 20g protein per sevring! I can’t have it now though, cos it’s not vegan – shame!

3. Jennifer - jcd says:

I’ve seen a lot of unusual pasta out there, but never this. Very interesting. Your selection of toppings make it look even better!

My favourite pasta is Tinkyada brown rice pasta, especially the Little Dreams shapes. And the homemade stuff my husband makes on occasion. Then again, I’ve never tried anything adventurous in the pasta department. Perhaps that will be a goal of mine this winter – try some new pastas.

1. Ooh homemade pasta! I ought to break out my mom’s old pasta maker. I’m lazy, but I remember having so much fun with that thing when I was little. Basically, my sister and I would eat the raw noodles as they came out… then we’d get yelled at lol ;).

4. Katharina says:

I am definitely a pasta person! I love the pastas with the cool shapes, and the ones that are stuffed especially like cannelloni, tortellini, and ravioli 😀 I may just hit up an obscure health foods store to see what they’ve got. There’s this one here in Richmond that is the only place that I’ve seen carry the most DELICIOUS lentil dip ever. EVER! I seriously stock up whenever I go. Plus, supporting local businesses is awesome :)

XOXO

5. Marina says:

Wow, that pasta is really strange! How did they make it?!
    I adore pasta, I’m so craving some good pasta dish right now.
    I prefer small shaped ones, spaghetti make me feel like I’m going to choke :/

1. No clue! I guess, if you wanted, you could put ANYthing through a pasta machine!

6. Anonymous says:

oh no! i hate it when i find a tasty product and then fall in love with it but can’t find it again! i would send you a replenishment of the black bean pasta in the mail. but i have never seen it here either!

1. abby says:

oops sorry, that above was me. i didn’t mean to be anonymous!

1. Awwwww Abby, the fact that you’d even offer means so much to me :).

7. Faith says:

Whoever developed this is a genius. That much protein in a pasta? Hellz yes!!! I wonder if I can find some online – I’ve never seen that in a store before either!

1. Good luck… I tried looking for it online (to provide a link to the company in my post), and I couldn’t even find it! The pasta is made by “Explore Asian.”

1. Jennifer - jcd says:

Google is a wonderful tool! You can buy the Black Bean Spaghetti here:

I’m going to see if the health food store near me has anything like this.

8. shesarunner says:

That pasta sounds really interesting! I am not a pasta person at all, but black bean pasta sounds really cool (I do like black beans!) and the color is unique.
    I usually like the sauce more than I like actual pasta, so my favorite way to “do pasta” is with zucchini spirals…they have a great texture. Or I’ll just make a raw pesto sauce or some other interesting sauce and use it on something different…like quinoa! It sounds weird, but it’s actually really good. I’ve even made cheezy quinoa using a nutritional yeast sauce.

9. The Vegan! says:

I came across my favorite pasta at a Korean restaurant in Indiana. I forget the name of it, but it was made with sweet potato starch and served cold with mushrooms in a light brown sauce. It was sooooo delicious, and I can’t find it anywhere now! I think it was called something along the lines of jabchai (please ignore the horrendous spelling attempt, lol)

1. mmmmm I might know what you mean! I had some strange yam noodles at a Korean restaurant once too… but it was so long ago that I can’t remember the name. I DO remember loving them, though!

10. Run Sarah says:

Lately soba noodles have been my favourite! Those black bean noodles look awesome though. I always find I find the most interesting items at small health food stores or Asian groceries!

11. Leslie says:

Look at all those peppers! Sauteed peppers are the best, aren’t they? I love the red ones. Unfortunately, I’m not so big on the green.

12. Inspired says:

Woah, you have me wanting to run off to my local HFS right now to see if they carry this pasta! Like you, I sometimes struggle to include a protein source in my meals. If it were healthy to just eat carbs all the time, I would do it!

13. That’s so cool! I hadn’t heard of that stuff. Honestly, I love all pasta, but confess that rice noodles are still my fav. Can’t get enough Asian food.

14. Jen says:

Lately Soba has been my noodle of choice, but I love Angel Hair too. Black Bean spaghetti sounds and looks soooo good! I love the magical fruit :)

15. Gloria says:

The WF in Palm Beach has it and I picked up a bag months ago and keep meaning to use it. Now that I know it’s awesome, I will make it a point to try it.. probably in something Asian like a stirfry with brocc. Angel hair and farfalle are my favorite pastas – I wish they made a brown rice variety of these shapes!

We don’t have a Trader Joe’s anywhere in FL but I’m obsessed with their almond butter and can only get it once or twice a year when I am in NY or Colorado. Maybe we can do a swap? 😉

1. Oh my gosh, Gloria, I wish I could! But there are no Trader Joes in Dallas either! Hopefully someday soon TJs will realize their mistake and get their butts down here!!
      (Oh p.s. My grandma used to live in Palm Beach! Looooooove that area!)

16. Rachel Lauren says:

I must find that pasta! I am going to check my wf’s at lunch time! Luckily I work right next door to one! I found the same webstore that a few others have posted that sell that pasta. So if all else fails, you can always reorder online. That’s quite an impressive amount of protein!

17. 2Snaps says:

I just bought some of this pasta from my local health food store because I was so intrigued! I love pasta and I love, love, love black beans, so a pasta made of black beans was more than I could resist! I was excited to see that it wasn’t made with a bunch of junk! They are also gluten free, which is great since I just discovered that I’m allergic to wheat! I’m going to be making some tonight and can’t wait to try them! Thanks for the review! Now I’m even more excited to try them!

1. Oh I hope you like it! As I said, it’s kinda rubbery… but I think that adds to the fun of eating it! :)

2. 2Snaps says:

As an added note to my previous comment, I found these near the Asian foods and not with the rest of the pastas at my local HFS.

18. Neato! I always like trying the different noodles at the Asian market. I really love the clean bean thread noodles, though they’re mighty slippery. And I agree that shirataki noodles smell like ass.

1. Smell… and taste too! LOL I bought them once, a long time ago, when I saw “tofu noodles” and thought it was cool… not so much!

19. Casey says:

Where is it that you live? I was thinking it was around Austin, but then I saw you mentioned Dallas Whole Foods. Just curious, I live a little north of Dallas.

1. I live close to Dallas too :).
      Wish I lived in Austin; I love that place!

1. Casey says:

I live in Sherman! :) Yes, I love Austin, too!!

1. Ooh I’ve been there! (Once) I’m like an hour away, I think. I know a few girls who went to Austin College up there.