Where be my Little Mermaids?

Growing up, did anyone else love The Little Mermaid?

sberryscake

Pink Lady meal: chocolate pb (unpictured) and Strawberry Shortcake Pudding.

And then I babysat for the world’s most energetic child!

ann

(Note Henry in the background. If you try to get too close to him, he’ll run away. Poor guy is deathly afraid of the water. Thinks he’s a cat, I guess.) How did I get stuck wearing the water wings? Well, I think I offended my little friend when I asked if she needed them. Her response to me: “I’m a big girl and don’t need floaties. YOU wear them!” Touché!

1. Tricia says:

I was obsessed with the Little Mermaid when i was little 🙂

2. Anonymous says:

i want ur abs!!!!!!!!

3. ecogrrl says:

wow, okay here’s the age difference thing possibly coming to be (not sure how old you are so don’t want to assume…). i took my little sisters who are 12-13 years younger than me to see the little mermaid when i was in high school. so i remember them wanting to be ariel, giving them the disney outfits for their birthdays etc. love the mermaid thing but myself detested the dude being the end-all for her happiness. maybe i was a bigger fan of ‘splash’ with tom hanks that came out when i was 11, haha.

people laugh at me but i’m 36 years old and have never changed a diaper. never thought it necessary and for some crazy reason (not) never wanted to? my thing is, until i have one myself, i don’t ever need to wipe another’s bum. period. 🙂 when everyone got summer jobs i did yardwork or office work instead.

and nothing to do with kids, i’d rather climb trees with them, that’s all! turn all the girls into tomboys – my sisters and i, we never played house – i remember not being a fan of that when i was a kid either, i’d rather be chasing boys! of course nothing’s new, i suppose…

1. What? Oh you’re missing out. Think of all the opportunities to change green poopie diapers you’ve missed. I feel sorry for ya 😉 ;).

4. Danielle says:

I’m with you- I don’t like babysitting! Of course, babysitting jobs pay reallyyyy well around here, so I could learn to like it 🙂

“Growing up, did anyone else love The Little Mermaid?” <– um, YES. I would watch that movie multiple times a day, every single day. To the point where my parents had to "hide the tape" and I thought they threw it away. It was devastating but at the same time I needed to live a life hahaa

1. LOL I can just see little Danielle running around the house in search of the video! Too cute :).

5. Jennifer - jcd says:

Ah, Little Mermaid is awesome! I still watch it when I’m at home when it is really cold outside. We even did a Little Mermaid ballet performance two years ago (with the original faiy tale story.)

I love kids. I used to be a babysitter, an after-school/summer nanny, and a swim instructor, and I’m still a Brownie leader. I also spend a lot of time with my 4 year-old cousin. I even madly want to be a school teacher and/or summer camp counsellor. But, there’s a limit on how much kid time I can handle. I enjoy having kid-free time with my husband too. Being able to return kids to their parents is always nice, especially if they start to misbahave.

Babies, on the other hand, I’m not such a fan. Nope, sorry.

I’m glad you had fun with your little guest.

1. Wow, you sound like my mom! She was just like you when she was younger, babysitting all the time… and she led my Brownie troop for three years :). Oh, and now she’s a teacher hehe.

6. Marina says:

Same here, I do love children, but they can be sooo annoying sometimes 😀
    I did babysit, but mostly when the kids were sleeping, so that’s pretty cool.

7. Krystina says:

You have a great stomach.

8. VEGirl says:

Sometimes babysitting can get a little wearing (I had a year were I babysat a 2 year old for five hours straight every week), but I really love having conversations with kids. They are such fascinating people to talk to to! And I really like Dragon Tales (you don’t? Shame! JK!).
    VEGirl

1. Well, if I had to choose, it’s better than “Cow and Chicken”! Worst show of all time. No wait, that might go to “Ed, Edd, and Eddy.”

9. MaryZ says:

I baby sat all through high school and did a little in college. I was even a nanny for a couple of summers. I never truly enjoyed it either…I just liked the money:) Now I have my own 3 kids and thankfully they are in there teens and I enjoy them. But little kids are tough…and you can only watch so much kid tv before you want to tear your hair out!

Way to be a good sport and rock the ‘wings’!

1. So true! I know a lot of my friends LIKE when the kids watch tv, because they don’t have to do anything. But I would’ve rather played barbies than be subjected to some of those silly shows!

10. I’ve always wished I was a mermaid. Except then I’d have to deal with sharks!

11. i loveee babysitting. i think it’s the best job in the world. honestly, if i could be a professional babysitter– i would. its nice to play with kids, watch them grow and learn, while being able to give them back at the end of the day haha.

you totally rock the swimmies, girl. new fashion trend? i think so!

12. abby says:

gorgeous, girl!
    both you and the berry breakfast of course ;).
    like the commenter before me, i adore little kiddies. and the money’s not bad either!

13. Britta says:

Ah! I used to hate wearing those things!! Babysitting is fun but it certainly wears on ya after a while….love love loved the little mermaid! My husband is from New Zealand and still has never seen it, he;s in for a real treat 😉 ha!

14. Justine says:

Cute bikini friend! 🙂

I don’t really like kids unless they’re “mine”. (My boyfriend has two girls.) I used to work in restaurants and that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

15. Valerie says:

I loved the little Mermaid. Still do! And with those cute water wings and your beauty, you could BE the little mermaid :). I agree, much better than being stuck playing Daddy. I always had to play the dog, though! I had older brothers who liked tormenting me!

16. Rose says:

I used to love babysitting and would really like a few of my own. I understand what you mean though — too much of anything can be annoying.

17. I used to love babysitting because I would read the kids a story, then they woulkd go to bed and I would either do my homework or watch tv with a cup of tea 🙂
    But I dont do it any more- now I am a teacher I get enough of the children at work!
    Yes LOVE little mermaid 🙂

18. Katie says:

It’s going to sound awful – considering I’m a teacher – but I HATE babysitting. I love my job, but I do not like entertaining kid’s. I can entertain while I teach – but if it comes without a learning objective, I’ll pass.

19. BroccoliHut says:

I was never much of a babysitter either–I did a few jobs, but I always dreaded them a bit. I think it might be a function of being the youngest child; I’m not used to taking care of those younger than I.
    I much prefer pet-sitting–I’ve done far more of that over the years:)

20. Melissa says:

I’m not a kid person. I never really have been – when I was younger I’d babysit (easy money!) and handled kids better… probably because I wasn’t much older then the kids I watched! I never really liked it, though, and I’m worse and worse with kids the older I get. Well, INTERNALLY I am. People who see me with kids always seem to comment that I’m “good with kids” and kids seem to like me? Which is just bizarre to me! Maybe it’s like cats – they loooove the cat allergic person in the room. LOL!

Full disclosure, I am childfree (childless by choice) and was sterilized at 27 due to not wanting them, ever. I can handle good, well behaved older kids in small doses. Babies I can not handle at all and actively avoid if at all possible. I don’t hate them, I’m just generally indifferent and uninterested. Unless they are yelling/screeching … then I’m in full on flee mode! Very young children I’m really uncomfortable around and don’t know how to interact with them. I’m too easily annoyed by common, normal kid behaviors – asking a billion questions, touching, getting in my personal space, lack of boundaries, etc… I just don’t do well with them! It’s probably related to my social anxiety – I’d have issues with adults who did that stuff, too! 😉 I know it’s part of what kids do and not something they can help. Knowing this, I choose to avoid kids rather than demand they should change such natural kid behaviors.

Older kids who are in middle school or greater and are basically small adults, I have an easier time with. I feel like I have some common ground to discuss and they are more apt to respect my boundaries and let me politely disengage from them if I need to. Annnnnddddd… now I wait for people to call me a baby hating monster for not loving all kids…

1. hahahahaha oh Melissa, my sister is extremely allergic to cats, and they won’t leave her alone! I always felt a bit snubbed. Like, “Why are they going to her, not me?” LOL, now I know they must have some reverse instinct thing. 😉