Nurse Katie

Life really isn’t fair.

I know I sound like a petulant child for saying this, but sometimes it’s true. Here’s my reasoning: My mother is the most amazing woman in the world. (Of course I am biased, but I’m not the only one who thinks so. Many of my friends agree; my fifth grade class actually threw her a birthday party… it wasn’t even the teacher’s idea!) But this summer, as she was trying to be helpful (she’s always trying to be helpful) and tie my uncle’s boat to the dock, he slipped and crashed into her. Now her leg is broken, she’s on crutches, and she probably will need knee surgery. To make matters worse, my incredible mom works in special education, which means her job entails pushing wheelchairs and looking after children who need a lot of physical care (i.e. she doesn’t just stand up in front of a room and lecture all day). Obviously, her co-workers and boss are having to come up with creative ways to help. And my mom has kept up an astoundingly positive attitude throughout the ordeal. But I’m just so upset at the unfairness of it all; someone who is so kind and generous to everyone ought to have only GOOD things happen to her! For my part, I’m trying to give her those good things she deserves.

In true CCK form, the good things are also good for her. Like a Banana Coconut Sundae for dessert.

closeup

love

She just kept repeating, “This is healthy?!”

finish

mom

Question of the Day:

Have you ever broken a bone? Or been forced to stay off your feet for a prolonged period of time?

Does anyone have any recommendations for ways I can cheer my mom up? PMS Chocolate can only do so much. It’s not a miracle cure. I just keep wanting to sit there and wave a bone-growing wand, like in Harry Potter!

1. Britta says:

Maybe if you have any free time from school you can help her out with a class or two 😀

2. Krystina says:

Life is about both the bad and the good, the ying and yang. I know it’s frustrating, but both are part of a balanced, happy life. Your mom is a good person, so she’ll recover from this and move on with her life as normal. Don’t let the unfairness get you down – it’ll pass. And remember, you can’t fully appreciate the good unless you experience the bad.

3. Faith says:

As clumsy as I am, I’m surprised I’ve made it 22 years without breaking anything. Hope your mum feels better soon!!!

4. Valerie says:

Send my get-well wishes to your mom, who sounds like a truly amazing individual.

5. Meg says:

Praying for your beautiful Mama, Katie!!

6. abby says:

wowwwwie katie that sundae looks good! “best daughter ever” award? give your mom a hug for me. and feed her lots of chocolate! 🙂

7. Sarahishealthy says:

Oh your poor mom! Crutches are HORRIBLE! When I had them, a few years ago, all my friends wanted to try them and thought they were so cool. I thought they were cool too, until about an hour into using them when my arms became SO SORE. They’re not so fun when you HAVE to use them!

8. Janna says:

I’m so sorry about you mom Katie 🙁

When I was 18 I tore my ACL in dance practice and had to have reconstructive knee surgery. It was not fun, but having something like that happen to me showed me how tough I truly was. I was on crutches for many many months and was bedridden for 5 days after the surgery on lots of painkillers with an ice machine strapped to my leg! But I was never negative and tried to get through everything with a smile on my face… because what’s the point in being negative right!

Less than 2 months after the surgery I was swimming in the ocean in Mexico with my family 🙂 And I’ve been dancing and running and jumping around like normal ever since! So I’m sure your mom will be good as new in no time!

1. Thank you so much, Janna. That’s really encouraging! My mom is trying to stay positive, but just the thought of surgery is so scary!

9. Marina says:

I am so sorry!
    My mom broke her leg a year ago, she had the surgery and couldn’t work for more than two months. She was also on physical therapy in a hospital nearby, all alone :/
    I know how hard was that to her, but I did my best to help her. Just keep her occupied, give her your attention, but don’t do it too much. I know my mom doesn’t like the feeling that she needs to be taken care of.
    A lot of chocolate, hugs and good books are always helpful 😉

10. vegangal says:

i hope your mom feels better soon and doesnt need to have surgery thats the worst. she is in my thoughts but i am sure your taking god care of her espcially with the chocolate treats and ice cream and gossip girl marathons i love gossip girl!
    xoxo

11. KeepItSweet says:

Aw that is frustrating. Hope your mom isn’t in too much pain!

12. Anonymous says:

Get well soon, CCK’s momma!

13. Danielle says:

I’m so sorry about what happened to your mom 🙁 Life is unfair sometimes…but I try and look at it this way: sometimes fate has bad things happen to people that can handle it. I hope she gets better soon!!

I’ve never broken a bone [officially]. I’m pretty sure I broke my nose ~5 years ago but I never went to the hospital for it…so I don’t really know!

14. Carbzilla says:

Sending healing vibes to your mom!

Nope, never broken a bone. Knock on wood!

1. Just don’t knock too hard! 😉

15. Jennifer - jcd says:

Oh, your poor mum!! The world really isn’t fair, but your mum has you and your family to keep her in good spirits and help her out so much. She’s a lucky girl!

I have never had a bad injury or broken beone before, but my brother broke his femur two years ago and has a whole bunch of tips… Since your mum won’t be in hospital for a long time, thank goodness, some of the tips dont’ apply, so here’s the ones that do:
    – Lots and lots of yummy meals cooked by other people – that one is super easy – she has you!
    – someone to help clean the house and do the dishes (my brother had a broken wrist too)
    – going for short walks with other people – never dismiss someone witha broken leg as entirely immobile – my brother was itching to get out at every opportunity but he needed someone to go with him, just in case he dropped a crutch or something
    – a teddy bear for surgery – even my tough as nails brother held his teddy tight (actually, it was a stuffy puppy)
    – always keep positive, smiling, and laughing (comedy and Disney movies help on bad days)
    – guys night, or in your mum’s case, girlie nights!

Best of luck to your mum! I hope the surgery goes well, if she needs it, and she is back on her feet again in no time.

1. Thanks so much, JCD. I definitely have to keep reminding myself to do the little “cleaning” things I always took for granted, like sweeping the kitchen floor!

16. Katie,
    So sorry to hear about your mama, and I hope she is up and about soon. Knee surgery does not sound like fun, but if she does have to have it, I know you’ll be there to help. You have such a good heart, and your love for your friends and family is so apparent in all you do. Love that about you.

Sundae looked great…how about some fresh flowers for the house. Flowers always cheer me up! 🙂

Hope you and your mom have a good weekend. I’ll be thinking about you both!

17. veganhomemade says:

I was also one of those people who thought it was cool to break a bone and wear a cast when I was younger…then I broke my wrist when I was 17 and realized how NOT COOL it is. It was horrible! The pain was the worst I’ve ever felt, the cast smelled bad and my arm itched like crazy, I had to wear a bread bag over my arm to take showers, and do all my classwork left handed. And, my wrist has never been as strong as it was before.

So sorry to hear about your mom! Best wishes for her speedy recovery!

18. The only bone I’ve actually broken has been my tail bone and that’s no fun at all. But that keeps you from sitting and moving..but not from standing..at least for a few minutes lol. I’ve had a hairline fracture in my foot before, too as well as runner’s knee..so those kept me on the sidelines for a good while.

I’m sorry your moms going through so much! You’re the perfect nurse, though. All other patients out there wish they had nurses to bring them such delicious and healthy goodies! 🙂

19. Aw, poor Chocolate Covered Mom!! I hope she heals okay. I bet your coconut banana sundae certainly helped her feel better anyway. Get better soon, CCM!

20. Angela says:

I hope your mom feels better soon! I’ve never been immobile or had a broken bone but I can imagine how difficult it would be.

I love doing things to make people feel better when they’re down, but its hard to do things that don’t cost $$. What about a movie night? When my mom has a bad day we’ve been known to watch her old favorites, like Gigi, Gone with the Wind and whatever is playing on the classic movie channel. I also give her manicures because she likes to have her nails done but doesn’t have the time and she’s terrible at doing her own.