Cinnamon-Raisin Breakfast Pudding

Do you resemble a certain member of your family?

dadnmeclaypit

dadnmeclaypit1

But first, another shot from dinner at the Clay Pit.

And a close up, because when I was looking at this photo, I saw something that made me stop short. It’s super-obvious who takes after whom in our family: I am my mom and my sister is my dad. (Actually, my sister is my cousin Julie. Those two could be twins. But that’s another story.) I never thought I looked anything like my dad. He is short, dark-skinned, and built for power, while I’m lanky and paler-than-pale, without exhibiting a single physical trace of his Italian heritage. But lo and behold, we do share something: My dad and I have the same eyebrows that curve in the exact same place.

Hmmm, well maybe that just means we share a common way of posing for photos. But in any case, I thought it was cool to catch a hint that perhaps I wasn’t dropped off by the stork after all.

By the way, does anyone else sense the need for a Friends reference? Joey: My identical hand twin! The person whose hands are exactly like mine! This thing is a gold mine! Now you’re all going to think I’m strange for putting so much stock—an entire paragraph’s worth—into the subject of eyebrows. Hey, I never claimed to be normal. Normal is so boring.

Something else my dad and I share: a love of chewy breakfast grains (He’s a huge steel-cut oatmeal fan, but I’m quickly selling him on the wonders of bulgur beyond the world of tabbouleh.) When he offered to make me breakfast on Monday morning (my birthday morning), I jumped at the chance. After a glorious run (It’s finally cooling off; no more 90-degree mornings!), I came home to find breakfast waiting for me. And what a breakfast it was!

NYC2010 375

Dad made three servings of Cinnamon-Raisin Breakfast Pudding. (I added the flowers.) He’d better watch out; I might have to start asking him to make me breakfast every day!  (Well, maybe not. I enjoy concocting my own breakfast experiments. But sometimes it’s nice to be waited on.) When I came in from my run, Momma Bear, Pappa Bear, and CCK Bear sat down to a perfect family breakfast, after which it was time to open presents. The breakfast was delicious, the present-opening was exciting (duh), but the best part was spending quality time with the people I love.  If you had my parents you’d want to hang out with them too. They are two incredible people (and I’m not just saying that to suck up to Dad so he’ll make me breakfast again).

Cinnamon Breakfast Pudding

• 1 serving cooked bulgur or oatmeal (See: How to Cook Bulgur)
    • 1/8 cup (or more) Silk creamer
    • sweetener to taste
    • generous shake of cinnamon
    • handful of raisins
    • optional: chopped walnuts

Put the cooked bulgur (or other grain) in your blending gadget (such as a Magic Bullet short cup). Add everything else. Blend! Now add in the raisins and optional walnuts.

NYC2010 378

Sharing time!

Do you like spending time with your family?

And do you resemble a certain member of your family? Or maybe you all look alike?

Tags: , ,

1. I LOVE spending time with my family. They’re some of my favorite people in this whole entire world and I definitely enjoy being with them. I think that’s one of the huge benefits of homeschooling: spending time with the people you love. 🙂

2. Marina says:

I am sooo craving that bowl of oatmeal right now :))
    I look like my mom more I guess, but I have some features from my dad. Legs specially 😀
    Can’t wait to spend some time with my mom, I haven’t seen here in more than a month!

3. Katharina says:

Mmm that breakfast sounds so delicious! I had breakfast the other day using rice and soaking it overnight in almond milk with cinnamon and raisins. I love how they plump up. Then I added some other yummy toppings in the morning 🙂 Like a diced apple yummm. Such a comforting combo.

And it’s funny to see the similarities we have between our parents and just family members in general. Some times I wonder how much I look like my dad’s side of the family (I don’t talk to my biological father so I have no idea). But anyhow, I LOVE spending time with my family. Whenever I go bacck home sometimes I’ll find my self wanting to hang around them more than with my friends lol. I guess it’s that unbreakable bond, you know?

XOXO

4. Stylish1 says:

I have two family members I look like! It’s weird because I don’t think they look alike but somehow I look like both lol, my cousin on my mom’s side and my aunt on my dad’s side. Figure that one out!

I also love love love spending time with my family! When you come from a great family how can you not! Everyone’s family has their quirk so embrace it and love them unconditionally, even if they look like the long lost aunt from a 1/2 brother of an in-law 😉

P.S. those oats looks delish!

5. That is too cute that you picked that out!

Because my whole family is short (and my sister and I are both quite petite with blondish hair and blue eyes), people think we look alike. When you really look at us, we look different just like any other family. I look more like my dad, but he has a beard so it is hard to tell! I think this post is really fun actually and like that you aren’t normal!

6. Kayla says:

I love my family! We have so much fun together! I have my dad’s eyebrows, too! Haha. I also have my dad’s height, build and personality.

7. Eric Jaffa says:

What is in the “Cinnamon-Raisin” Breakfast Pudding?

1. In my posts, every time a word or phrase is blue, that means it’s a link. So click on the words “cinnamon-raisin” to go to the linked post :).

8. VeggieGirl says:

I LOVE spending time with my family! And I’m basically the female version of my dad – we look a LOT alike.

9. dragonmamma/naomi says:

When I was little my brother tried to freak me out by telling me I was adopted. I didn’t believe him for one moment because I was so obviously a member of the family. Every one of us looks like a perfect blend of two other family members.

10. Katie says:

I’m obsessed with my family – they’re my favorite people on earth to spend time with. My mom and I are practically twins…alike in every way – looks, personality, profession, temperament. It’s a little crazy.

Also, I think you and your dad have similar noses…yours is smaller and more girly, of course, but similar!

11. mckella says:

I come from a very tight-knit family and I love spending time with them! I even live with my aunt and uncle and I nanny my cousins with a co-nanny, who is also my cousin.
    And I look like my dad, but I walk like my mom and I have a lot of her mannerisms.

12. Betherann says:

I think you and your dad share eyes, too!

As for me, I’ve been asked if my mom and are sisters. Personally, I think I look more like my dad, but not really either one of them. My brother and I look alike, but not really either one of our parents.

1. Oh yeah, I forgot about that! We do all have hazel eyes!!

13. Little Bookworm says:

Your breakfast looks amazing – how lovely of your Dad to make it for you. 🙂

14. 40apples says:

How sweet of your dad!
    I LOOOVE spending time with my family – they make me laugh, we have our own dinner (and dance) parties, they’re my travel buddies… I just love hanging out with them. The absolute #1 worst thing about living on the east coast is that I’m not near them. It’s a tragedy 🙁

People who know or are looking at both my parents say I look like a perfect 50/50 combo of them. But I get “you look like your mom” alllll the time too. (guess it’s good I’m not more often compared to a man? ha) But I do have one aunt who I apparently have an uncanny resemblance to.. not just appearance but behavior. So I’m told, at least!

15. Kristie says:

First and most most most important: HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! I’m so sorry this is delayed. Slap on my wrist for that one! I hope it was fabuloso x100 though xoxo

As for fam, I adore them! My parents and my brother are by far some of the closest people to me and I definitely enjoy their company. They’re pretty awesome people. I think I resemble my mom and my dad in different ways but neither one of them to any super obvious extent.

That’s so darn sweet of your dad to make you breakfast. I’m with you though, I wouldn’t be able to have someone make me breakfast ALL the time, one of my favourite parts of the morning is breakfast prep haha. But it’s definitely a really nice treat when it happens once in a blue moon!

1. Aww thanks, Kristie!
      Hope everything’s going well with you; haven’t talked to ya in such a long time! Darn this college thing. I used to have so much more free time!

16. elk says:

Hand twins, I remember that, tee hee!
    Happy birthday 🙂
    One of my favourite “oh how to make the hours go by” games when I worked in a bookshop was to match up which of a child’s characteristics belonged to which parent. There was always a good supply of parents and children on a Saturday..
    I always find it slightly odd, in a good way, when you see something in a parent and you realise that’s where you get it from. It always amuses me that my sister’s feet are replicas of my mum’s, with shorter toes and smaller nails, while mine are slightly smaller versions of my dad’s. We both have straight long toes and wide nails…and even have the same slight curve in the same toe.
    I agree with people about the tip of your nose being like your dad’s. It’s really sweet!

1. There was a nurse at the hospital, when my dad was born, who guessed which baby belonged to which mom. She was so mad at my grandma, because she matched her up with a little girl… it was the first time the nurse had ever been wrong!

17. EmbraceYourSkin says:

Identical hand twin! Ahhhh! 🙂
    I look identical to my mom in our faces, we are just built differently. I have learned to love it!

18. Dianne says:

Happy birthday! My papa bear doesn’t cook at all; you’re a lucky duck!

19. What an awesome breakfast! It looks amazing!

I love that episode of Friends! Haha, hand twin! That was so funny!

20. spoonfulofsugarfree says:

Oh I love my family! We spend Soooo much time together! And I look a lot like my mom! People are always telling me 😛 Some of my moms friends mistake me for her sometimes