Vegan Piña Colada Pie

Can I interest you in a slice?

Thumbing through Living in the Raw Desserts, by Rose Lee Calabro, I encountered a dilemma: how would I possibly choose what to make first?? Blueberry cheesecake, German Chocolate Cake, Fudge Brownies Supreme… Oh how I’d love to have 5 million sous-chefs so I could try all of the recipes that caught my eye. I haven’t made any of the recipes yet, but I already love the book because—for the most part—its recipes seem quick and simple, without a lengthy list of ingredients. And if you know me, you know I’m a big fan of quick, uncomplicated recipes. Recipes such as…

lr2

(The photo’s from the cover of the book.)

Raw Piña Colada Pie

(Yield: 6-8 servings)

Filling:

• 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen pineapple
  • 1 cup macadamias or cashews, soaked 1 hour
  • 1 1/2 cups young coconut pulp
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine the pineapple and nuts in a blender, and process until smooth, thick, and creamy. Add the coconut pulp and vanilla extract and process until smooth. Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.

Suggested crust: Hmmm, I think I’d go with a Raw Macaroon crust for this one.

lr1_thumb[1]

Hopefully I’ll soon make one of the book’s recipes so I can give you a better review.

What’s your favorite cookbook?

And are you good at following a recipe?

I am lousy at following recipes. I’ll see one that looks good, and I’ll start to make it… but then my creativity gets away with me and direction-reading falls to the wayside, in favor of experimentation. (Either that or I’ll realize—halfway in—that I forgot to buy a needed ingredient!)

I don’t really have a favorite cookbook, since I use them so rarely. But I still remember my first cookbook: The American Girl cookbook!

1. lovelyliller says:

oh your arm looks too skinny on thaT PICTURE. :/
    the kacke looks good tho 🙂 have a nice day

1. Anonymous says:

Wow, what a jerk. Sounds like a 12 year old anorexic with some serious spelling issues who is just jealous of Katie’s OBVIOUS gorgeousness.
      Katie, until this girl finds the sense to apologize, I’m going to do it for her.
      -a daily reader

1. abby says:

here here! 🙂
        you are beautiful, katie!

2. Shelby says:

While I commend you on defending Katie, I don’t think insulting someone else really gets the point across.

2. Eric Jaffa says:

She looks good in that photo. Her ams look fine.

2. Albizia says:

I rarely use cookbooks. I actually don’t have any and borrow my mom’s books if I am really bored. Most things I cook are found on the internet. I see something I like and then I alter it to fit my taste, the products I have and my cooking possibilities (limited in dorm conditions). But I haven’t ever had a failed experiment so I keep doing things the way I like. By the way, I love raw desserts because most of them are absolutely fail-safe 🙂 .

3. Tori says:

Totally unrelated, but I happen to love eating Poptarts. It would be fun to see you try and make a “veganized” or raw version of a Poptart! Haha! Just an idea 🙂

1. Woah, raw poptarts sound too fun!
      Silly trivia: regular poptarts (only the un-frosted ones) are actually vegan! Weird, right? So technically, you could be a vegan who lived off pop tarts and oreos :).

4. YUM! This pie sounds amazing ; ) We are not good with recipes, we tend to do what we want in the kitchen, which has been challenging for us to actually write down what we do.

5. Allison says:

Man, I always wish I had a Sous Chef. And a dishwasher. Sometimes it’s tough being creative and the only one in the kitchen! I used to be so exact about following recipes when I was first learning to cook and bake. I have since gotten to the point where I can estimate some things, make changes to others or even throw out the recipe and just use the general idea as a guideline. My mom always makes fun of me because she says that baking is an exact science and you have to follow recipes EXACTLY, but I say if no one ever deviated from recipes we’d never have any new and great discoveries!

6. Leslie says:

Yum, I wish I had some coconut meat right now. I’d be making this ASAP!

7. Sarahishealthy says:

I love cookbooks, and I read them all the time. But I rarely ever make the recipes. I just like to fold down the pages and say I’m going to make them, but I never actually get around to it!

8. Laura says:

I do love cookbooks, and often read them, but I find I only make a few of the recipes from them, aside from my everyday cooking. I find things I like and make them over and over, then eventually get up the gumption to try a new one, and it too might become a fave. Also, my friends and husband get attached to favorite things, and because they’re not vegetarian, new dishes sound scary to them. I have to sneak them in!

Long long ago I used to be a “ramen noodle” cook. As in, not a cook at all. My first book was a quick bread book, and I made every recipe, obsessively following the instructions. Now that I’ve become a cook as well as a baker, I find I have a little more experimental leeway. But mostly I’m an editor, not a creator. I have a knack for knowing what recipes will be good, then making them better, or serving them in a more interesting or easier way that’s just as good or better. Or, well, at least I think so!

9. abby says:

oh i could sit in the book store for hours reading cookbooks! in fact, i DO! i think i like reading them even more than the actual cooking. but i’m with you on the sous-chef thing. if i could have my own personal chef, that would be the best of both worlds. then i could pick out all the recipes i wanted, even the ones with a lot of ingredients/prep work, and someone else would do the hard work ;).

10. VEGirl says:

I will generally only make a recipe if I have all the ingredients (who would want to make a trip to the store? Psh, not me!). Or, the recipe will give me an idea and I’ll just create my own based on the idea. I have run into the same dilemma you have a couple times, where I am partway through making a recipe and then go, “oh, I don;t have that. Oops!”. In that case I get to use my mad improvising skills 😀
    VEGirl

11. Shelby says:

YUM! The desserts you make always look perfect! That looks like a delicious treat to help me cool off from this Arizona sun (:

12. Stefanie says:

Looks yummy look all the desserts you make. I do not have a favorite cookbook because I rarely use them and hate having to follow a recipe. I do use recipes but they are mostly for inspiration. 🙂

13. Eric Jaffa says:

Pineapple has enzymes which make people’s lips bleed.

Cooking kills those enzymes.

Cooked pineapple is more fit to eat.

1. LOL that might explain why I got a cold sore one time in Hawaii from eating so much pineapple :(.

P.S. Thanks for sticking up for me!

1. Eric Jaffa says:

You’re welcome.

Canned pineapple is generally cooked by the company which canned it.

If you use canned pineapple, you probably won’t get a cold sore from it.

14. Di @ http://thetreadmilldiaries.com/ says:

The Raw Piña Colada Pie looks mighty tasty and simple to make. (I like that!)

I’ll look at recipes and cookbooks for inspiration but I almost never follow them as written. I like to change up the ingredients so they work for my taste buds. Tends to turn out well..so I plan to keep at it. 🙂

15. Sydney says:

I love that book! I just bought it and am excited to try every single recipe in the darn thing!

16. mckella says:

Sometimes I follow recipes, but most of the time I improvise, which doesn’t always turn out well, but sometimes it’s amazing!
    I think my first real cooking experiences were with Samantha’s Cookbook from American girl! I remember making blueberry muffins and apple brown betty in the fifth grade.

17. eatandrun says:

I had that American Girl cookbook too! 🙂

18. I hardly ever follow recipes. Like you, I very very loosely follow them..as guidlines. But for the most part I end up making something entirely new.

19. Sharon says:

i have stacks of cookbooks! I have many favs, so a few favs right now are The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone, Feast by Nigella Lawson, but I also get lots of recipes online at Allrecipes.com, foodnewtork.com, and blogs. I can follow a recipe but most of the time I like to eyeball and tweak a recipe on my own.

20. Lisa says:

Yummy! That sounds so good and easy to make. I’m usually afraid of raw desserts because they’re complicated, but that sounds easy. I’ll have to look for the book. Thanks for the review.