This New Product is a Hit

Have you ever been to a baseball game?

What comes to mind when you think of baseball food? Hot dogs, nachos, cheese fries?  Not exactly vegan-friendly. For some reason, I always associate chili with baseball. So, in honor of my Texas Rangers, I incorporated chili into yesterday’s lunch. Normally, I don’t watch tv while I eat, but Rangers playoff games are an exception, basically because they only happen every… what, ten years? I ended up turning the game off halfway through lunch. (Yeah, I’m a fair-weathered fan.) But luckily, the yumminess of lunch made up for my team’s lackluster performance.

For the chili, I used a new product I’d been meaning to try ever since Angela recommended it.

chili2

chililunch

I’d like to thank the Whole Foods’ hot bar for making this lunch possible:

Artisana coconut butter crack in a dish (one of my fave ways to use Coconut Butter), the roasted veggies, and Amy’s low-fat medium black-bean chili on a bed of spinach. Honestly, I’ve had bad experiences with canned chili in the past. Just like with soup, canned chili seems to scream “I came from a can!” But Amy’s black-bean chili eluded my usually-savvy tastebuds.

amyc

A few hours later, when the Rangers completed their miserable outing (I turned the game back on. Glutton for punishment, I guess…), dessert was a must.

reeses

Stepping in to save the game: the deliciously-amazing 32-C Chocolate Cups.

Chocolate cures a broken heart. Damn Yankees Rangers.

They’d better shape up soon, or I’ll need a lot more chocolate! (Oh heck, I’ll need a lot more chocolate anyway.)

mtpie spsout

Sharing time:

Have you ever tried any Amy’s Organics products?

Or other canned/packaged foods? Any you think I should try?

I feel—with Amy’s—it’s hit or miss. (Hmmm, good baseball analogy. Except I’d like to know one thing about yesterday’s Ranger game: Where were the hits??) I like the Bistro Burgers, Mexican Tamale Pie, and now this chili. But many of their other soups, frozen meals, and chilis weren’t my thing at all. Well, I guess they can’t be winners all the time (as my Texas Rangers proved).

When time permits, nothing beats a big ole bowl of Wally’s Vegan Chili.

In a pinch (hit), however, Amy’s black-bean chili is a home run!

1. I vaguely remember consuming an Amy’s frozen entree at one point when my sister and I were on our road trip moving me to Austin this summer and got in late to our hotel and no restaurants were open so we went to the grocery store. I was so hungry at that point I don’t remember what it tasted like. 🙂

2. Katie, you have the funniest humor! Its got a dash of cheeze, a sprinkle of old man, and a twist of sarcasm! I love it.

3. Amy’s products are the best except for one thing – they cost mucho dinero!

4. Good to know about her chili — I really like her frozen burritos — one of them is corn/tomatoes/black beans and it is pretty good for a frozen burrito! I have tried her boxed meals and I thought they tasted pretty awful — too bad since they cost $5-6 a piece!

5. Yep that chili is pretty good! Annie’s is definitely hit or miss, as are many frozen foods. Love her burritos and some of the soups!

6. Tori says:

I’ve tried the Amy’s Shephard’s Pie. It was good! Oh, and the terryaki bowl!

7. Melissa says:

I love Amy’s. 🙂 I work at WFM and sometimes I run out of time/food to pack my lunch. Amy’s is my go-to since we sell TONS of the stuff.

I like the tamale pie, the pot pie, the shepard’s pie. The burritos are really good as is the tofu scramble wrap and teriyaki wrap. I like the veggie korma entree a lot and the low sodium california burgers are my favorite veggie burger. No soy, just veggies. Mushrooms are the first ingredient and I love that! The new gluten free mac n’ cheese with Daiya is delish (but very rich so I haven’t bought it, just stolen bites of my SO’s) as is the other noodles and cheese dish they make. It has peas and a more tomatoey sauce but I’m blanking on it. Penne? Can’t recall.

For the soups, they are definitely not all to my tastes. I like the non-fat alphabet best. Soooo tomatoey! The others I’m not thinking of any real big winners that I really really love. Oh! And the Amy’s cakes are GOOD. I took a chocolate one and sliced it in half the long way, spread ice cream over the bottom, slapped the top back on and froze it. Ate it frozen in slices like a swiss roll ice cream cake. TRY IT.

1. Melissa says:

Oh yeah, the teriyaki bowl, black eyed peas & veggies bowl are also ones I really like. 🙂
      Yeah, I sound like a really unhealthy eater now but I swear I usually pack a lunch! I’ve just been working here for going on 7 years and the occasionally missed lunch adds up to lots of trying stuff we sell. Heh.

2. Wait a sec, their cakes are vegan? Seriously?? Don’t they make a lemon poppyseed one? Must look into this!

1. Melissa says:

Yup! I think all the cakes are vegan, actually.
        Good ole’ Amy’s. And yes, they make lemon poppyseed!

8. haha, so THAT’S what you were carrying back from the Whole Foods hot bar. I was a little curious. 😛

1. Hahahahaha yes! I was like, “Well, I’m here… I gotta look and see what they have.” And then those veggies looked too good to not buy ;).
      P.S. Sorry I forgot to send an email; look for one today or tomorrow!

1. Haha that was a good idea, I should’ve done the same thing! Too funny. 🙂

Oh, no worries! It’s all good. 🙂

9. Nicole says:

My 13 yo son eats between 2-3 Amy’s cheese pizzas every week after school. Because i do not eat cheese anymore i usually eat some of the crust only. Overall the pizza is good and smells good too. I once tried an Amy’s single serve vegan pizza with lots of vegetables and loved it! Unfortunately my grocery store does not carry it anymore and i was told it was dicontinued. I feel Amy’s pizzas are the healthiest alternative of all frozen pizzas and i am willing to pay the price difference for peace of mind.

10. Lisa says:

This pot had me cracking up! I love all the baseball allusions you stealthily added in there! So creative :).

11. Valerie says:

That lunch looks so good. Your lunches (and all your meals, really) are always so colorful.
    I don’t think I’ve ever tried an Amy’s product, but I know my local grocery store sells the canned goods, so I might have to pick up one of those chilis.

12. abby says:

yummmmmmmy! especially the coconut crack hehehe. but also the roasted veggies look delicious. i’ve never had that chili. i had another amy’s chili, i think. it was awful! but you and i have such similar tastes that i might just have to try this one too. happy monday, pretty girl!

13. Faith says:

My bucs dang near gave me a heart attack yesterday…I was noshing on mangoes and chocolate to try to keep calm! (Thankfully we eeked it out in the last 12 seconds!!!)

14. eatandrun says:

I love that chili! It’s the only Amy’s canned product I like, actually.

15. Leslie says:

I’ve been watching that series too! Your Rangers did quite well in the first two games. What happened???
    Honestly, I’m just pulling for anyone to beat the Yankees! 😉

16. mckella says:

I love Amy’s vegan breakfast patties!

17. Sarahishealthy says:

I love Amy’s! Those products save me so many times when I’m in a rush or just got back from something and have no time to cook. I still like to eat good food, and Amy’s provides the answer :).

18. VEGirl says:

I really haven’t ever tried Amy products. Our neighbor once gave us a couple cans of the soup (GF and vegan)– and when my dad and sister ate it, it was so funny– apparently it was so bland that I watched as they took it upon themselves to spice it!

I have no love for sports on tv. BORRRRRING! (no offense, to you, if you like that though). Also, I apologize that I haven’t replied to your email yet. I’ll get to it though, promise!

VEGirl

1. Oh I definitely think you need to doctor some of that stuff. I like the split pea soup, but I mix it with tomato sauce.
      As for the email, do NOT worry. I am swamped too, so any time you get around to emailing me is a-ok! 🙂

19. I dont think I’ve ever tried any of Amy’s products but I’ve always kind of wanted to try the burritos. I’d take some healthified mexican eats anyday 😛

20. Anonymous says: