One time, I stole red underwear.

My mother wouldn’t buy them for me.  She said they were Satan’s panties.

Quick: Who knows the source of this quote?

I’m so glad you liked yesterday’s Single Serving  Cupcake recipe.

Today, I might have to make a pumpkin cupcake. Pumpkins are still on my mind, and that probably won’t change til at least Thanksgiving hehe. Speaking of pumpkins, I need to share my frustration (in jest) with y’all: Yesterday, on my morning run, I passed no fewer than three houses with big kabocha squashes outside as decoration. People, people, people, kabochas are not meant to sit outside your porch. They’re meant for one place, and one place only: INSIDE YOUR BELLY!!! Don’t make me knock on doors…

kabocha dinner

Kabochas are, however, meant to be turned into Pumpkin Pie Soup.

If you cannot locate a kabocha, I will totally support any act of stealing one off your neighbor’s porch. (And by support, I mean I’ll visit you in jail.) But before you resort to pumpkin-pilfering, try looking at your local pumpkin patch:

pumpkinpatchfam

Family Portrait!

I think this was the only photo in which Daddy Dearest behaved himself (i.e. he wasn’t strangling the scarecrow like he did in another photo!)

pumplittle

But wait. Where’s the little sister? When the little sister’s away, the big sister will be horribly mean. *Evil laugh*

Have you ever stolen something?

Or do you know someone who has? (Seriously, she’s asking this?) Yeah, I am. And I’ll go first, admitting that I stole a toy pig in preschool. I loved that pig so much, and when no one was looking… into my pocket it went! Unfortunately, the teachers were aware of my love for the pig. As soon as they realized it was missing, they knew who to ask. I also stole a toy sword from my best guy friend. (Sheesh, I was a little kid with no morals!) I was intrigued by his “guy toys” since none of the girls I knew owned such things. But let’s face it: a sword isn’t exactly easy to hide. Mommy discovered it under my bed and was not pleased.

Oh, and last year I stole a bunny-eared headband… but I didn’t even know it! I walked out of the store with it on! LOL obviously I brought it back (feeling mucho embarrassed!). In high school, I knew a girl who wasn’t poor but liked to shoplift for the buzz, and I always wondered, “Why? It’s not hard to get away with it, so what exactly are you trying to prove?”

Other question (for you little angels who don’t have my criminal record): Have you ever been to a pumpkin patch? And have you ever tried kabocha?

1. abby says:

katie!!! you are sooooooooooooooo gorgeous!!! 🙂

As for stealing, well yeah i have. i didn’t shoplift or anything, but in high school i used kazaa and limewire all the time. i know it’s not a good excuse to say well everyone was doing it, but that’s what i thought. everyone was doing it, so it was ok.
    i got scared when the government started going after people, but even then i figured it wouldn’t happen to me. the only thing that made me stop using these programs was that my computer ended up with a huge old virus from them! so not worth it in the end! 🙁

1. *Hides in shame* I had limewire for a while too :(.

2. Jennifer - jcd says:

Miss Congeniality!

I accidentally stole marbles once. They were in my hand and I just walked out of the store. Oops. I went back in and paid for them at least.

My sister-in-law decorated a butternut squash last year because there were no orange pumpkins left. We had a pumpkin shortage last year, so it was interesting to see how creative everyone got to fill in their decorations.

As for pumpkin patches, I don’t even know of one around here. I should really look into it, even if it is way too late to visit one this year. Maybe next year, if I find one. There are some pumpkins at the farmer’s market, so maybe I’ll ask the sellers if they have a patch people can visit that isn’t hours and hours away.

Oh, wait… I went to a Botanical park in Huntsville, Alabama in October once – they had all sorts of pumpkins and gr=ours and scarecrows around the place. Even a wee corn maze. It was odd to see autumn decorations and then look at the lush green trees…

1. Jennifer - jcd says:

That was supposed to read gourds.

2. I love those corn mazes! Unfortunately, I’m allergic to hay, so I learned the hard way that I can’t go in them!

1. Jennifer - jcd says:

Oh no, that’s terrible. If you know someone with a biohazard suit you could borrow it and still do the corn maze. Or a gas mask. 😉 or Bendryl, but that’s not nearly as fun.

3. Ilana says:

FAVORITE MOVIE!! When I was like 15, I flew to Israel and Miss Congeniality was one of the in-flight movies available, and I watched it four times.

I’ve still never tried a kabocha. I see them all the time … ok this week when I go to the farmer’s market I will get one and make something Miss Chocolate-Covered.

Stealing – When I was in high school my friends and I were all in this one store and they all stole these little things -rings and scarves and stuff, apparently they liked to shoplift… I guess I got peer pressured into it and walked out wearing this, like, $2 ring. I felt soooooo bad that I couldn’t wear the ring!!

1. Lisa says:

I’m so glad to know I’m not the only one this happened to! When I was in high school, my friends and I went to the mall and one of them decided it’d be fun to see if we could all get away with stealing from Claires. Well, I didn’t want to be the goody two shoes, so I went along with it and stole a pair of earrings. But I felt SO bad. 🙁 And I never did it again.

4. Valerie says:

Uh oh, is this what I have to look forward to with my little ones? 😉
    Not ready to be a policewoman! LOL

5. Katie says:

Girl, you look like a model! And your family is cute cute cute. Maybe not your sister, though ;).

6. :/ yeah i’ve stolen things. the best thing i stole was a potato though bahaha. i just really didn’t want to pay for one potato! and i really wanted a baked potato for my dinner that night 😀
    i agree with you. kabocha squashes should NOT be used under an circumstance, halloween or not, as decoration. it’s an abomination!!

7. Jaisan says:

And that quote is from Miss Congeniality! I love that movie! LOL

8. Dianne says:

LOL last month I stole five pairs of underpants from Macy’s! I had put them in my purse because I didn’t want to walk around the store holding panties, and then I forgot to take them out at the register! Of course the next day I came back and paid for them…no one suspected me hahaha

9. Efi says:

Some years ago I went to the British museum in London. In front of every statue there were historical books about the spacific exhibit. Which I thought they were for free….Yes I took about 50 of them, and no one stopped me! I suppose I was carrying them in such a natural way that everyone thought I had paid for them.

When I got home and realised what I did (stole) I calculated the amount of them and I found out that the total amount was about 350 english pounds (about 500 $)!! I still feel guilty 🙂

10. Amy says:

I hardly ever comment, since I don’t have a blog, but I HAVE to comment on this post because I LOVE Miss Congeniality!!! Best movie ever!
    🙂
    Love your blog, Katie!

11. Sarahishealthy says:

Yeah, I did the Napster thing too, back in the day. Now I’m a good girl and use i-tunes ;).

12. Haha, I’ve been kind of an “honest Abe” most of my life. I’ve definitely been teased for it. 😛 However, one time when I was 5 or so, I was at Chuck-E-Cheese with my family. We were playing one of those games with coins, and my cousins told me to go get someone and tell them that I’d dropped my coins in (I don’t even know how that works.. I can’t remember what the game was like, lol). I remember having the guy get the coins out, not really understanding what I was doing, but my mom was mad when my brother or I brought it up in the car later. We immediately turned around and I was a sobbing mess as I apologized to the Chuck-E-Cheese workers for taking coins that weren’t mine. Lol, I was so embarrassed at the time, but now it is hilarious. 😀

Yes, looove kabocha! It’s finally available in my regular grocery store, which is so exciting to me. 😀

13. eatandrun says:

Cute stories! I probably stole stuff when I was little too. Now I’m curious. I’ll have to ask my mom!

14. Anonymous says:

yes, i’ve stolen before. i’m not proud of it, and every time i say it’s the last time. but then i go back and no one’s watching and i think, “just one more time.” usually, it’s food. i’m sure it has something to do with my ED, and it’s my malnourished brain that causes me to think it’s ok to do it. i never would have done such a thing when i was at a healthier weight. it’s just another reason i’m trying so hard to gain weight, because i don’t like the person i’ve become.

15. Kara says:

Haha love this post! Your family is darling :).

I, too, was interested in my guy friends’ toys, growing up. I never thought it was fair that we were stuck playing with barbies while they got transformers that were both a person AND a car! But then again, I was a complete tomboy, playing with forts and involved in every single sport imaginable. Now I’m like the anti tomboy; it’s so funny! I wear skirts and love makeup and shopping. But somewhere in there is a boy LOL.

16. VEGirl says:

Haha! I knew that quotes halfway through reading it! I LOVE MISS CONGENIALITY!

I don’t remember stealing stuff off the top of my head (yeah… I was basically the perfect child. JK). BUT, when y sister was three and four, she had a huge problem with stuffing merchandise in her shirt and pants. Luckily we caught her most times (we would tend to do a check before we left a store LOL!). It sounds funny now but it was pretty serious at the times (cracks up).

I HAVE been to a pumpkin patch! One time with my friend in third grade 🙂
    VEGirl

1. LOL it does sound like a serious problemo… how can you arrest a 4-year-old for shoplifting?!

1. VEGirl says:

At the time, our thinking was that the PARENTS would get arrested. Too bad… I’d rather have my sister be gone…..

Kidding, kidding! We have a great time, especially today. We baked chocolate chip cookies and went to the park!
        VEGirl

17. Sarah says:

Best movie ever! I love Sandra Bullock!
    I also love kabocha, after first seeing it on your blog, and then other blogs. Now I eat it like it’s nobody’s business. Thanks for introducing me to such an amazing food :).

18. Fi says:

katie, one q! can i have the shinyness of your hair purlease? thanks 🙂
    ive never stolen anything, not that i can remember anyway!! why do dads always have to act so silly for photos and stuff like that! its like theyre uncomfortable but trying to cover it up by being humourous! 🙂 my dads the same! thankgod im at the stage now where i just laugh at him rather than getting embarassed 🙂
    xx

1. Aww you are so sweet! Are you made of sugar? Or perhaps chocolate? If so, can I eat you?
      Sorry, that comment’s kinda weird and creepy now that I think of it! 😉

1. Cynthia K says:

BAHAHAAHAHA Katie you are Hilarious!

19. spoonfulofsugarfree says:

Of course, Miss Congeniality!!! I love that movie 😉

I just bought my first Kabocha two days ago…It is still sitting on my kitchen counter ready to be eaten…What is your favorite kabocha recipe?

My sister and I actually teamed up together in Day Car (ages 4 and 2), and stole lego! We were so giddy, because of what we did 🙂 Haha!! I don’t remember it at all, but my younger sis does!

1. Probably kabocha mousse! It’s so simple. But I also like the simple kabocha bowl. Here’s a link to my kabocha post: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/05/11/k-is-for-kabocha/

P.S. Your lego story is so cute!! 🙂

20. Camille says:

I love Miss Congeniality! One of my favorites 🙂
    When I was little, I accidentally walked out of a store with a pair of earrings in my pocket. We were on vacation and bu the time I realized, we were about 100 miles away. When we got home, my Mom mailed them the money for the earrings 🙂