Healthy Halloween

Dear litttle chocolate chips,

Halloween is a scary time.

And when I say scary, I’m not talking ghosts and goblins. With an overabundance of sugary sweets, Dracula isn’t the only fearsome foe for those trying to stick to a healthy diet.

Below, some healthy Halloween recipes. So you can leave the scaring to the creepy crawlies!

Chocolate “Nightmare” Oatmeal

halloween 027

“Bad Luck” Cupcake

ccash6

Peanut Butter “Spooky” Babies

sea2

“Spider Legs” Salad

ppp

Kabocha Bowl

What’s your favorite Halloween candy or recipe?

I was always a chocolate girl. (Does that surprise anyone?) After trick-or-treating, my sister and I sat down to exchange candies. I’d magnanimously give up all my Sprees, Sweet tarts, Nerds, Shock Tarts, Skittles, jelly beans, lollipops, Twizzlers, gummy worms, etc (you get the idea) in return for her Reeses and Hershey bars. Little sister always ended up with twice as much candy. But I didn’t care; I learned early on that quality is better than quantity.

1. I cant wait to make some of these! And that oatmeal is not scary, it is gorrgeeouss!

2. And Im a Reeses girl 😉

3. littleacceb says:

I don’t know if I could ever find the recipe again, but my friend and I baked a bread spider stuffed with ketchup for Hallowe’en one year.

We don’t celebrate in the same way over here, so it was usually a case of staying in, watching something scary on tv and seeing if you could stay up until midnight, call Bloody Mary three times and see the face of your future husband in the mirror. I never did. If I’d seen Patrick I probably would’ve been a bit freaked out!

4. Eric Jaffa says:

On the “Bad Luck” Cupcake. is the cat-shape a cookie?

5. I loved (and still do) Snickers, Twix and Kit Kats. Those are my favorites!

I would give all the sugary stuff to my dad: the smarties, twizzlers, etc. I was so disappointed when a neighbor handed out pencils or erasers — what the heck??? I want candy! 🙂

6. GabyE says:

I was always a HUGE fan of anything Reese’s , but alas, I don’t eat them anymore. Which is totally fine, because now on Halloween I treat myself to one bar of very high quality, too expensive to buy on a regular basis, dark chocolate bar 🙂 and watch Alfred Hitchcock movies all night.

7. I’m a chocolate person myself. I always looked forward to having a trick or treat bag full of Reese’s and Hershey bars. Nowadays I usually make my own treats and I’m really trying to stay away from the sugary stuff this year. It’s weird because now that I’m older I have more of a salt-tooth than a sweet-tooth, which definitely makes it easier.

8. I have always preferred chocolate to sweets. Now I prefer a small amount of good quality dark stuff to a bar of cheaper milk stuff.
    Love the cute cat by the way-you are so artistic 🙂

9. When I was a kid, I really didn’t care for candy. But I didn’t want to share my Halloween stash with anyone because I was a stingy only child. So I hoarded it away where it sat, untouched, until the next year when I would dump it and go trick-or-treating again. I still have food-hoarding issues! But I do like candy now….

10. Teresa says:

OOOH! I think the spider legs salad is my favorite! Giving food fun names is a GREAT way to encourage skeptical kids to eat them. I can totally see kids super excited to eat that salad with your name, rather than if it was called Vegetable Arame salad. I love it!

Around Halloween (well fall in general), I love everything inter squash. My favorite is definitely the Kabocha squash, followed by Mr. Butternut.

I didn’t get to yesterday’s post until today, and wanted to share my costume this year. My friend and I are dressing up as Garden Gnomes! I’m going to be the traditional male and she’s going to be a girl garden gnome. I’m so Excited because I haven’t dressed up in about 6 years!

1. Or “sea vegetable salad”
      Can you imagine trying to get a kid to eat something with that kinda name? I wouldn’t even want to eat it lol!

11. Nichole says:

I was always a chocolate girl myself, Reeses were always my favorite I would steal them from my brother all the time haha

12. Jennifer - jcd says:

Do they have Tootsie Rolls in America? Those were my favourite as a kid. I also loved sour gummies.

I don’t remember what my favourite recipe was as a kid, probably pumpkin shaped cookies, but now it’s orange peppers decorated like jack-o-lanterns using raisins and dates.

1. They do! I hated the chocolate ones… because they do NOT taste like chocolate. But I loved the vanilla ones, oddly enough. Maybe because they had/have blue wrappers? Do they have the vanilla ones in Canada? LOL now I think they make all sorts of flavors, even lemon–blech!

13. thedelicateplace says:

halloween is my bday! 🙂 i used to love DOTS and resees peanut butter cups (minis 🙂

1. Aww happy (early) birthday!!

14. EmbraceYourSkin says:

The “Bad Luck” Cupcake is sooo cute!

15. Liz @ Blog is the New Black says:

Chocolate for sure! Reeses or Snickers were always winners.

16. lauravirginia says:

Thanks for posting these great ideas! That oatmeal looks so yummy! It may just have to be my Halloween breakfast! 🙂 I was the same way with candy! I would always sit down after trick-or-treating and sort out the chocolate candy from the “other” candy. I would keep the chocolate for myself and put the other candy in my Operation Christmas Child shoe box since it couldn’t melt or anything. Any chocolate-peanut butter combo is right up my alley!

17. Shelby says:

Love all the great recipes! And my favorite candy was either sweet tarts or 100 grand!

1. LOL that’s Henry’s (my dog) favorite candy!
      Unfortunately he got into a stash a few years ago. But luckily he seemed to be immune to chocolate, which is poisonous to dogs. Henry’s just an odd seed ;).

18. plamarie says:

My favorite Halloween treat is pumpkin-chocolate chip cookies. I’m with you, I would trade or giveaway all the non chocolate candy.

19. Stefanie says:

Reeses was my favorite. I liked the holiday PB cups/shapes because there was always more PB then chocolate. Your scary treats look tasty. 🙂

20. Ohhh I want some of those peanut butter spooky babies! Or the spider leg salad. Both look quite tasty 😉