No-Cream Cream of Broccoli Soup

Did you know that yesterday was World Vegan Day? I celebrated by eating a vegan breakfast, vegan lunch, and vegan dinner. Oh wait, I always do that! The best part of lunch was my broccoli soup:

vegan broccoli soup

No-Cream Cream of Broccoli Soup. Yes, it’s green and therefore doesn’t look so appealing. But looks can be misleading. Didn’t you ever watch Beauty and the Beast?

vegan lunch

No-Cream Cream of Broccoli Soup

(4 servings)
  • 2 packages mushrooms, such as baby bellas (8 oz packages)
  • 2 packages broccoli (500 grams raw broccoli)
  • 2 cups broth, such as Pacific mushroom broth
  • 2 tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 tsp salt, or to taste
  • Some of the broccoli soaking liquid – I use about 3/4 cup, but if you want your soup even thicker, you can add less
  • 1 cup milk of choice – for creamier soup, you can switch the amounts of broth and milk
  • Add 2 tbsp oil or buttery spread if you’re not a fan of fat-free soup
In a covered dish, microwave your broccoli, in water, for about 9 minutes. Meanwhile, put the mushrooms, garlic, broth, and salt in a pot, and cook the mushrooms over medium heat while the broccoli cooks in the microwave. Then add the broccoli to the mushrooms. Also add the desired amount of soaking liquid at this time. Stir together, then add your milk. Transfer the soup to your blender, or pulverize with a hand blender (lately that’s been my method-of-choice).  I only blend this a little bit, as I love it when it’s still a little chunky, not too smooth. Eat the creamy green goodness as you thank God (or whatever higher power you believe in– god of broccoli, perhaps?) for creating such yumminess.

vegan meal

Along with the soup, I had leftover stir-fried veggies cooked up with bbq sauce, over spinach, and a new favorite English muffin: Rudi’s spelt English muffins. These muffins have a bit of a sourdough-like flavor, but they’re soft and crumbly. I cut one in half, added vegan butter, then toasted that baby (but not enough for the muffin to lose its softness). The bread and butter of comfort.

Then I used the “Soggy Muffin” trick. This one’s a bit embarrassing, but I swear it’s delicious: Cut the muffin in 1/2 and spread on your vegan butter. Right before eating, pour a little water over the muffin (I don’t even usually bother toasting it) until it’s soggy. Then microwave for 45-ish seconds, sprinkle with a little bit of salt, and eat. The muffin will be all mushy and gooey, which is exactly how I like them!

melties

Dessert!

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Stefanie says:

Mashed potatoes is one of my comfort foods. Add a side of peanut/almond butter and toast and I am happy. That brocolli soup looks so comforting though. 🙂

2. Lisa C. says:

My comfort foods are soup and veggies, so your lunch looks perfect to me!

3. Sarahishealthy says:

I know it’s not healthy, but there’s just something about pizza that screams comfort food to me! I don’t indulge often, but when I’m really in need of some comfort food, pizza gets the job done.
    But oatmeal doesn’t hurt either!

4. abby says:

i’ve never tried those english muffins. i see them at the store all the time and wonder about them. i don’t think i’ve ever had spelt anything before, but i know you recommended it in your single-serving cupcakes, so maybe i should pick some up? and some of those muffins while i’m at it. i haven’t had an english muffin in years!
    happy vegan month, katie! 🙂

5. Inspired says:

Oh I’ve been craving soup, as it’s so cold here already. I’m off to check out your link!

6. Hmm.. comfort food. Anything peanut butter!

7. Tes says:

Wow the english muffins look so yummy. I can’t wait to get some for breakfast.
    My favourite comfort food is meaty spicy soup.
    Thanks for sharing 🙂

8. For me, comfort food must be creamy as well, and generally sweet – I’m in love with chocolate mousse and sunflower butter whipped up with almond milk (with chocolate chips on top). Also, sweet potatoes and winter squash on the non-dessert side of things. Your stir fry looks delicious, I love the addition of purple cabbage. I’ve been adding it to my mushroom, broccoli, and cauliflower stir fries lately to liven them up a bit

1. Valerie says:

Chocolate mousse is my comfort food too! I’ll have to remember to try it with sunflower butter. We have a jar sitting in our pantry at the moment, unopened.

9. I love Rudi’s products but I have yet to try the english muffins! Yum.

My favorite comfort foods: chili, tomato soup or a big baked sweet potato 🙂

10. Anonymous says:

peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!!!

11. I like broccoli any way but raw, too. It’s probably my favorite veggie. And English muffins are so awesome! Your meal looks wonderful!

12. Valerie says:

As usual, your meal looks superb! I hope my kids will make such healthy choices when they’re out on their own. And I, too, am in love with broccoli in almost any form. It’s one of my favorite veggies.
    Yes, I do call it “trees” to get the kids on board. But I don’t force it upon them, and yet they all love it too!

13. I think green foods are fun and exciting! Green smoothies make me so happy, a lot in part due to that fabulous kermit color! 🙂

1. Valerie says:

Oh me too, me too! And the other day we had HOT PINK smoothies (with beets)!

14. I did not know that! 🙂 Amazing looking meal!
    I think a comfort food would be “healthy” macaroni and cheese- I love cheese

15. Gloria says:

I tried to make a raw cream of broccoli soup the other day. Gross. and I LOVE raw soups. I need my broccoli cooked and buttery too! I’ll be making your version as soon as I get my hands on some shrooms.

My comfort foods are brown rice pasta w/ marinara and cashew parmesan and hemp bagels w/ tofu cream cheese. My carbs get a lot of huggin’ 🙂 I might have to add zucchini muffins topped with chocolate almond butter to the list because I’ve been having that for bfast for 3 days now and can’t get enough of it!

1. LOLOLOL I read that too fast and thought it said “raw ice cream of broccoli” as in broccoli ice cream!

1. Gloria says:

maybe chocolate broccoli ice cream! 😉

have you tried adding nutritional yeast to the soup? I’m going to make this tonight but want to try a broccoli “cheese” soup

1. I haven’t. But now that YOU mentioned it, I’m going to have to try it too! Please tell me what you think, if you try it first!!

16. Oooooh, the melties sound SO good. But that goes without saying – coconut is one of my top 5 fave foods. I was also just reading your recipe for a single cupcake – amazing idea! Just this past Sunday I found myself craving cake and frosting like no other, but didn’t want to make a whole cake. I thought of halving a cupcake recipe so I’d at least make less than a full batch, but it didn’t quite occur to me to reduce the proportions down to a single serving! That’s why I have you. 🙂

1. Oooh we share a top favorite food! Is another of your favorite foods chocolate, perchance? ‘Cause then we’d share two! 🙂
      Love you, Diana!

17. Frances says:

Oh, man. I had no idea it was world vegan day. I’m vegan, but I’m a pastry cook at a decidedly omnivorous restaurant, and I “celebrated” by making a spice cake…with lard. Not even vegetarian. Oops 🙁

As for comfort foods?

Cafe au lait with soymilk. So good.

18. Leslie says:

Oh man, now I have a hankering for an English Muffin. Toasted, naturally :). You can come cook for me anytime, girl! 🙂

19. Caitlin says:

Katie, I just have to tell you that your photos are lookin stellar, missy! Better than stellar, in fact: Super stellar :). But maybe that’s just cuz it’s broccoli and yummy vegan food you’re photo-ing? 😉 Can’t make vegan food look ugly! Well, I guess yeah you can, but you know what I mean! 🙂

20. Namaste Gurl says:

I have a similar soup that I make, called Mushroom- Thai soup. It’s oh- so- yummy, but the looks aren’t the prettiest. Let’s just say it’s brown, but really, really yummy and easy. That’s what I’m all for: yum, healthy and easy 🙂

By the way, you totally inspired me yesterday with your coconut melties. However, I didn’t have any molds, so I made them into balls– coconut, PB, chocolate, for that matter. My balls I made were a bit generous on the size. And let’s just say I ate them ALL 🙂