My Crazy Halloween Costume

I really wanted to thank you for sharing, the other day.

Every single one of your heartfelt Body Image comments was awesome. I hope your comments lifted your spirits as much as they did mine. It’s way better to hear people say nice things about themselves than negative ones. I always cringe when I hear a young girl say, “Oh I’m so fat, ugly, stupid, etc.” because it either means she truly believes what she’s saying, or she has low self-esteem and is fishing for someone to tell her how great she is. Either way, it’s horrible to hear. So thanks for all the positivity in your comments.

And now, it’s once again time to talk Halloween (‘cause I am behind with my posts like that). For Saturday night’s party, which consisted of a bunch of college kids, I just didn’t feel like dressing up. So I threw on my pink cowgirl hat and called it good. If anything, I was more dressed up than everyone else, who came as—gasp!—lazy college kids. (Creative much?) But Sunday’s party (a kid-friendly party made up of neighbors and family friends) was a different story. I went all-out! Result? Utter ridiculousness:

I would’ve been an easy-to-spot Waldo, that’s for sure. As I mentioned in a previous post, I went as “Indecisive” or “What the Dress-Up Box threw up.” Basically, with only about a 1/2-hour until the party started, I ran upstairs and threw together as much randomness as I could find: devil horns, cowgirl hat, fingerless glove, monster hand, Hawaiian lei, Dracula cape, parasol, stiletto, and fuzzy slipper.

indecisive

Yes,I know it’s silly. But how often do college students and adults get the chance to let loose and channel our inner child? It’s always: study, homework, find a job, work, clean. What happened to play? What happened to have fun?

What do you do for fun, to stay in touch with your inner child?

I’m talkink fun that’s unrelated to work or school. For me, “kid-like” activities include having theme parties with my friends (where dressing up is required), singing karaoke, watching Disney movies(!), and going out dancing on Friday nights. Oh yeah, and reading Harry Potter… and is anyone else excited that Toy Story Three just came out?!

1. Miho says:

Nice costume! Very unique, I have to say! 😉 How do you have all that stuff to begin with??
    Thanks for replying to my email the other day!
    I draw, watch shows from pbskids, and play good ol’ pokemon to stay in touch with my inner child! 😀

1. Hahaha it’s all old junk from previous Halloween costumes. We have a whole dress-up box, which I’d originally planned to raid, but I was sad to find out it’s in the attic.

2. BroccoliHut says:

To be honest, I’m not all that certain that I’m not just a big kid. Seth and I still watch cartoons together, I wear Sesame Street pajamas, and I love finger food. Hm.

3. Ilana says:

ahhh katie I love the costume, you look HOT!!

my inner child requires me to put on Spice Girls and Ace of Base and dance around. So does my inner adult, come to think of it.

1. Caitlin says:

I second this! You look GORGEOUS :).
      Rocking that pink cowgirl hat.
      P.S. Wherever did you find such a hat?

4. ooh nice costume! i love the giant fairy wings 🙂 it’s funny you mentioned waldo because… that’s who i was for hallowee, never mind the fact that i’m a girl haha. ( http://dancinghopinglivingdreaming.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/happy-belated-halloween/ ) pictures if you wanna see!
    for fun, i like to bake 🙂 and lick the spoon! ok maybe that doens’t really qualify. i also just like to lip sync and be goofy with my friends 🙂 oh to be a child again!

5. Christin L. says:

My inner child likes to play video games and run around screaming at the park! 🙂

1. Anonymous says:

super nintendo!!!!

6. Valerie says:

Well, having your own kids certainly makes it easier to BE a kid again. Just this past week, I have colored with crayons, played house, played barbies, eaten baby food, and watched too many episodes of Dora the Explorer than I’d even like to remember!

7. Lisa C. says:

Love this! You are so cute :). I need to pay a visit to my inner child. It’s been too long since we last caught up :(.

8. Random throw-anything-on Halloween customes are the best! When someone asks what you are..it’s “A retired racing fairy princess unicorn zombie. Duh” 😛

9. tangyh says:

I have two young kids so my inner child gets to come out quite frequently!! I love doing things with them that I enjoyed as a child. I am very excited to take them out this winter after the first big snowfall and go sledding and build a snowman!

1. Valerie says:

That’s how I feel too! I love having kids because it means I get to go back to my own childhood too. And even better: I have someone (someones) to share it with :).

10. abby says:

ahh i love your costume. and you look so pretty. i wish i had honored my inner child by dressing up this year! i just ran out of time, plus there was no where to dress up for. so sad, but next year i am totally dressing up, even if it’s just to pass out candy :)!

11. Ann Claire says:

Your costume is so cute! My friend and I like to build blanket forts to stay in touch with our inner child!

12. Namaste Gurl says:

Love your costume, even though you put it together in a flash. I on the other hand, didn’t even make an effort to dress up. I was tired, enjoyed my day and called it a night 🙂

I will never let loose of some childish aspects to me, not matter how old I get. Still love to play in playgrounds, hang out with my “mommy”, run crazy like a kid and so on.

13. Katelyn says:

I *completely* agree..we need more play! Less worrying about “real life” and taking a break every once in awhile 🙂

p.s. Your costume is beyond adorable..I wish I had the gutso to do crazy costumes! Next year I’ll do a crazy costume a la Katie 🙂

14. Albizia says:

The costume is great. I only wonder how you walked with one stiletto and one slipper 🙂 .

I didn’t dress up at all but in a non-catholic country like mine Halloween isn’t the most widely celebrated holiday anyway. Well, it doesn’t mean I have any intention to grow up. I like playing games for children, reading books with more pictures than words, watching cartoons and sleeping with 6 stuffed animals. Plus yesterday I ate a jar of baby food and it wasn’t because I decided to try the baby food diet. Pumpkin, apple, banana and cream – how could I resist? 😛

1. LOL I took it off about 2 seconds after the photo! Same thing with the cape, necklace, and definitely the monster glove! 😉

15. Funky costume Katie :0)

16. Little Bookworm says:

Great costume Katie! 😀

17. Angela says:

I love it! So cute :).
    And thanks for the shout out too. Made me so excited to see my name mentioned :).

18. Katie says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your costume! so cute! as for celebrating my inner child…I love spending time with my 6 year old cousin for I have an excuse to watch kids tv, read her books and play barbies…

19. EmbraceYourSkin says:

Haha, I’m loving your costume.
    I channeled my inner child by shopping in the kids Halloween section. I spent the day riding around on a dinosaur… never mind the fact that I am 21 years old 🙂
    Can’t wait to hear your announcements!

20. Cindy says:

gosh, what announcements!!!

ahhhh surprises kill me!

and I have a toddler so that just means I now have an EXCUSE to be the sillier version of me that is always just under the surface.

but we play like there’s no tomorrow and also we just bought the Xbox Kinect so that ‘s what Hubs and I have been doing too.

too much fun.

1. Valerie says:

Yes, exactly! It’s such a good excuse. No one thinks you’re silly when you are playing with a toddler. It’s not like we really secretly like playing with play dough… oh wait, yeah I do!!!