Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

My Crazy Halloween Costume

I really wanted to thank you for sharing, the other day.

Every single one of your heartfelt Body Image comments was awesome. I hope your comments lifted your spirits as much as they did mine. It’s way better to hear people say nice things about themselves than negative ones. I always cringe when I hear a young girl say, “Oh I’m so fat, ugly, stupid, etc.” because it either means she truly believes what she’s saying, or she has low self-esteem and is fishing for someone to tell her how great she is. Either way, it’s horrible to hear. So thanks for all the positivity in your comments.

And now, it’s once again time to talk Halloween (‘cause I am behind with my posts like that). For Saturday night’s party, which consisted of a bunch of college kids, I just didn’t feel like dressing up. So I threw on my pink cowgirl hat and called it good. If anything, I was more dressed up than everyone else, who came as—gasp!—lazy college kids. (Creative much?) But Sunday’s party (a kid-friendly party made up of neighbors and family friends) was a different story. I went all-out! Result? Utter ridiculousness:

I would’ve been an easy-to-spot Waldo, that’s for sure. As I mentioned in a previous post, I went as “Indecisive” or “What the Dress-Up Box threw up.” Basically, with only about a 1/2-hour until the party started, I ran upstairs and threw together as much randomness as I could find: devil horns, cowgirl hat, fingerless glove, monster hand, Hawaiian lei, Dracula cape, parasol, stiletto, and fuzzy slipper.

Yes,I know it’s silly. But how often do college students and adults get the chance to let loose and channel our inner child? It’s always: study, homework, find a job, work, clean. What happened to play? What happened to have fun?

What do you do for fun, to stay in touch with your inner child?

I’m talkink fun that’s unrelated to work or school. For me, “kid-like” activities include having theme parties with my friends (where dressing up is required), singing karaoke, watching Disney movies(!), and going out dancing on Friday nights. Oh yeah, and reading Harry Potter… and is anyone else excited that Toy Story Three just came out?!

1. Great costume Katie! 😀

2. Miho says:

Nice costume! Very unique, I have to say! 😉 How do you have all that stuff to begin with??
    Thanks for replying to my email the other day!
    I draw, watch shows from pbskids, and play good ol’ pokemon to stay in touch with my inner child! 😀

1. Hahaha it’s all old junk from previous Halloween costumes. We have a whole dress-up box, which I’d originally planned to raid, but I was sad to find out it’s in the attic.

3. BroccoliHut says:

To be honest, I’m not all that certain that I’m not just a big kid. Seth and I still watch cartoons together, I wear Sesame Street pajamas, and I love finger food. Hm.

4. Ilana says:

ahhh katie I love the costume, you look HOT!!

my inner child requires me to put on Spice Girls and Ace of Base and dance around. So does my inner adult, come to think of it.

1. Caitlin says:

I second this! You look GORGEOUS :).
      Rocking that pink cowgirl hat.
      P.S. Wherever did you find such a hat?

5. ooh nice costume! i love the giant fairy wings :) it’s funny you mentioned waldo because… that’s who i was for hallowee, never mind the fact that i’m a girl haha. ( ) pictures if you wanna see!
    for fun, i like to bake :) and lick the spoon! ok maybe that doens’t really qualify. i also just like to lip sync and be goofy with my friends :) oh to be a child again!

6. Christin L. says:

My inner child likes to play video games and run around screaming at the park! :)

1. Anonymous says:

super nintendo!!!!

7. Valerie says:

Well, having your own kids certainly makes it easier to BE a kid again. Just this past week, I have colored with crayons, played house, played barbies, eaten baby food, and watched too many episodes of Dora the Explorer than I’d even like to remember!

8. Lisa C. says:

Love this! You are so cute :). I need to pay a visit to my inner child. It’s been too long since we last caught up :(.

9. Random throw-anything-on Halloween customes are the best! When someone asks what you’s “A retired racing fairy princess unicorn zombie. Duh” 😛

10. tangyh says:

I have two young kids so my inner child gets to come out quite frequently!! I love doing things with them that I enjoyed as a child. I am very excited to take them out this winter after the first big snowfall and go sledding and build a snowman!

1. Valerie says:

That’s how I feel too! I love having kids because it means I get to go back to my own childhood too. And even better: I have someone (someones) to share it with :).

11. abby says:

ahh i love your costume. and you look so pretty. i wish i had honored my inner child by dressing up this year! i just ran out of time, plus there was no where to dress up for. so sad, but next year i am totally dressing up, even if it’s just to pass out candy :)!

12. Haha, I’m loving your costume.
    I channeled my inner child by shopping in the kids Halloween section. I spent the day riding around on a dinosaur… never mind the fact that I am 21 years old :)
    Can’t wait to hear your announcements!

13. Ann Claire says:

Your costume is so cute! My friend and I like to build blanket forts to stay in touch with our inner child!

14. Cindy says:

gosh, what announcements!!!

ahhhh surprises kill me!

and I have a toddler so that just means I now have an EXCUSE to be the sillier version of me that is always just under the surface.

but we play like there’s no tomorrow and also we just bought the Xbox Kinect so that ‘s what Hubs and I have been doing too.

too much fun.

1. Valerie says:

Yes, exactly! It’s such a good excuse. No one thinks you’re silly when you are playing with a toddler. It’s not like we really secretly like playing with play dough… oh wait, yeah I do!!!

15. Your costume is fabulous. Love the colors in it.

16. Namaste Gurl says:

Love your costume, even though you put it together in a flash. I on the other hand, didn’t even make an effort to dress up. I was tired, enjoyed my day and called it a night :)

I will never let loose of some childish aspects to me, not matter how old I get. Still love to play in playgrounds, hang out with my “mommy”, run crazy like a kid and so on.

17. Katelyn says:

I *completely* agree..we need more play! Less worrying about “real life” and taking a break every once in awhile :)

p.s. Your costume is beyond adorable..I wish I had the gutso to do crazy costumes! Next year I’ll do a crazy costume a la Katie :)

18. Albizia says:

The costume is great. I only wonder how you walked with one stiletto and one slipper :) .

I didn’t dress up at all but in a non-catholic country like mine Halloween isn’t the most widely celebrated holiday anyway. Well, it doesn’t mean I have any intention to grow up. I like playing games for children, reading books with more pictures than words, watching cartoons and sleeping with 6 stuffed animals. Plus yesterday I ate a jar of baby food and it wasn’t because I decided to try the baby food diet. Pumpkin, apple, banana and cream – how could I resist? 😛

1. LOL I took it off about 2 seconds after the photo! Same thing with the cape, necklace, and definitely the monster glove! 😉

19. Such a cute costume and love that you still do things to celebrate your inner kid!

To celebrate my inner kid….well, I parenthood is an awesome way to relive your childhood, but with the wisdom and knowledge of an adult, but with the wide-eyed wonder of a child…and having Skylar has been like having a second childhood…truly a wonderful (and unexpected) great perk of parenthood!

20. Funky costume Katie :0)

21. Angela says:

I love it! So cute :).
    And thanks for the shout out too. Made me so excited to see my name mentioned :).

22. Katie says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your costume! so cute! as for celebrating my inner child…I love spending time with my 6 year old cousin for I have an excuse to watch kids tv, read her books and play barbies…

23. Fi says:

Love the costume :) i think a person gets to an age, when its like, you dont care what others think ! u can be silly and be ok with it! my fave kid like thing to do is to watch old disney films, like aladdin or beauty and the beast, oh, and having friends over for a movie and a chat, ! and staying awake all night, im a kid at heart! xx

1. Ohmigosh, I totally agree :). I remember being in middle school, and it was sooooo embarrassing to say you liked things like cartoons or disney. Then, suddenly you got to high school and everyone was in love with… Sponge Bob??

24. i celebrate my inner kid when i babysit! we set up barbie houses, have surprises parties for barbie’s friends, and be someone we’re not. i look forward to it every week! ha

1. I want to babysit the kids you babysit for! My kids always only wanted to play house (I was the daddy) or watch Cow and Chicken (a reeeeaally annoying show on Cartoon Network!) lol.

25. Anonymous says:

Haha amazing costume!
    To get intouch with my inner kid I’ll have some friends over and we’ll bake something oh-so-yummy then watch Disney movies … with said bakes goods 😛
    (Ohh announcements, I’m excited :D)

26. I just watched Toy story 2 yesterday for the 20th time (or 3rd)! Can’t wait for #3

27. Kristie says:

Haha aww, I’d say that costume is pretty darn swell for just throwing something together Miss Creative Katie! Of course you’d totally rock a Halloween costume like that! You also have me craving a Disney movie fix now, I haven’t watched one in AGES! Perhaps a Disney inspired essay writing break will be in order sometime this week :)

28. I’m an actor so my whole job is about indulging my inner child hehe :) I get to play dress-up and pretend every day!

29. Moni'sMeals says:

Super unique and cute costume! Well done. :)

30. ytotheummy says:

ahaha, i’ve seen people dress up as this before! but i gotta give you props, i haven’t seen any as, uhm…ambitious as yours! hehe :)

31. martina says:

wow this post!my name’s martina and I come from Italy…I would like you visit my blog and if you want…follow me!I wait you and your tips!kiss kiss ^^

1. Aww hugs back from Texas! You’re so lucky to live in Italy! :)

32. Jennifer - jcd says:

LOVE the costume! I keep in touch with my inner little kid by teaching Brownies and having fun with them. I’m also a huge kid movie fan, and still watch a lot of them on a regular basis. And I’m such a little kid at heart that I had to cover my eyes in Toy Story 3 and don’t think I’ll buy it because it was too scary. Really. I couldn’t watch Finding Nemo for five years because the opening was too scary. Maybe in another five years I’ll be brave enough to endure the scary parts of Toy Story 3 again… In the meantime, I’ll watch A Goofy Movie or the original Parent Trap.