Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Does Harry Potter like Sweet Potatoes?

Are you excited about the new Harry Potter movie?

I am! A few of my friends and I started an HP-watching marathon, where we’ve been getting together once or twice a week to watch the first six movies in preparation for the seventh (which comes out on November 19th). Last night I invited them over a bit early, for a little dinner party before movie night. We were up to the 5th movie. On the menu:

NYC2010 1177

Fiesta “Sweet Potato” Burritos

Whenever my friends come over for dinner, I try to think of something I can serve that they won’t find too weird or “vegan” (which, unfortunately, they see as synonymous with “weird”). Foods like broccoli bowls, savory oatmeal, and anything with brussels sprouts are definitely out. Tofu too, although some of my friends are warming up to it. A couple of them have even told me they’ve switched to ordering soy lattes at Starbucks. Post-grad health kick!

I figured sweet potato burritos were a safe bet, considering they contain no tofu, they contain no brussels sprouts, and they contain no oatmeal. Besides, who doesn’t like sweet potatoes?

NYC2010 1175

Steps one and two, above: refried beans and sweet potatoes. You can also sub winter squash. Below, step three: the salsa. Steps 4 and 5 are unpictured: adding the spinach and rolling it up. Oh yeah, and then eating it!

NYC2010 1176

Unsurprisingly, the Fiesta Sweet Potato Burritos were a hit.

I think self-serve-type meals like this are good for parties, because they’re low-key, and because people can customize their food. (For example, one of my friends hates spinach, so she left it off.) Our after-dinner entertainment was pretty top-notch as well. So it was a successful evening. Now it’s time to plan for the 6th movie-watching get-together.

harry potter cake

For our next party, I’m thinking another Harry Potter Cake might be in order.

1. I am a Harry Potter fan. :) That Harry Potter cake looks amazing Katie!

2. Ilana says:

yeahhh I can’t WAIT for Harry!! I re-read all the books over the summer, and my boyfriend and I are now going through all the movies! I LOOOOVEEEEEEEEEEE Harry Potter! Anyone who says they don’t is a liar 😉

I first read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone on a rainy day when I was in a fight with my stepsister and ran upstairs and hid in the attic. I curled up under a blanket and noticed the book on the floor next to me – I read the whole thing cover to cover and I’ve been hooked ever since (11 years ago!). I waited at midnight for the 5th, 6th, and 7th books, and when the 6th movie came out I was in Thailand so my friend and I made that our special visit-the-Thai-movie-theater occasion. It was awesome.

The burritos look delish! When I have friends over and I cook for them I try to make things that I like that look kind of familiar to nonvegan food – veggie fried rice, burritos…all good!!

3. Melissa says:

This Chicago Diner makes the BEST sweet potato quesadillas ever. OMG.

Refried black beans, sweet potato, spinach, seitan, Daiya vegan mozz on a spinach tortilla all grilled and toasty. Drooooolllllll… ridiculously good.

I’ve had a couple things with sweet potatoes (or squash) and beans and it’s just such a fantastic combo! I make a butternut squash and black bean casserole (from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen blog – she used pumpkin, I like butternut) and a butternut squash and black bean chili that are both just super. Mmmm. I’m doing the casserole for dinner tonight but I’ll need to try (again) to recreate the Chi Diner quesadillas soon.

1. That quesadilla sounds SO good!!!

4. Sarahishealthy says:

Biggest Harry Potter fan ever, right here! I could give your sister a run for her money. I’ve read all the books multiple times, and even have the trivia game. Wow, that’s embarrassing :-?.

1. Ilana says:

not embarrassing!!! I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve read each book, but I promise it’s a LOT!!

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Woohoo! Thank goodness :). It makes me feel less like a nerd to know there are other normal girls out there who share my love :).

5. Lisa C. says:

I never got into Harry Potter. I’d say it was due to my age, but I know people older than me who have read them, so I can’t blame it on that.
    Your burritos sound delicious, and that cake is beautiful!

6. I LOVE Harry Potter!!!! The books are fabulous! I read all 7 (and I read the last one in only 2 days-i loved it so much!) The books were good (the first one might be the best). I can’t wait for the 7th movie! The weekend it comes out I will be in a tennis tournament in Orlando with my tennis group of friends. Ironically, the tennis site is located right across the street from Universal Studios! Which is where the Harry Potter world is! I think we will be seeing the movie that weekend…..

1. Amanda says:

Oh my gosh! Are you going to HP world? I want to go so badly!!!

7. I love HP! I can’t wait for the movie this weekend! I wanted to re-watch all of the movies too, but time got away from me. I know it’s going to be great anyway!

8. Albizia says:

I’m a huge Harry Potter fan and I don’t care at all what other people think about a 24-year-old obsessed with a childish fairytale. I also read all the books with the speed of light because I couldn’t put them down until the last page and although I love the books more than the movies I am looking forward for the seventh part. I hope I can see it soon.

I wish there were enough Harry Potter fans around me for a themed party. It seems like you’ve had a great time. And a Harry Potter cake? Can it get any better?

1. Haha I don’t care if my friends are HP fans or not. I tell them they HAVE to watch the movies with me… a few of them have never read the books, but they’re still happy for an excuse to get together :).

9. OMG, I’m so freakin’ excited about the movie!! Now that there are no more books to be read, the movies are all we have left….and even that’s almost over. :-( I’m sooooo going on Friday night, probably decked out in full witch gear because I’m a nerd like that.

10. I have never read the Harry Potter books or seen any of the movies, but I can respect the people who do, as I have had other obsessions of my own, lol! :)

I put sweet potato on sandwiches all the time but had never thought to put it on a burrito, brilliant!

11. shelby says:

Ahh I’m soooooooooo excited! Although I haven’t seen move 5 or 6! I’m going to have to get my butt to the video store to rent them before friday. I did read all the books (and cried profusely). Love them!

12. Danielle says:

I’ve never really been much of a harry potter fan. My cousins were always into them- reading the books, listening to the tapes, harry potter posters and stickers in their room, but I haven’t ever picked up one of the books. But, the sweet potato burritos look delicious! I’m a vegetarian, so i’ll have to try them(:

1. I think it was one of the first-ever vegetarian meals I ate! (Well, when I was a vegetarian. Obviously I had pb&js or spaghetti when I was an omnivore, but this was vegetarian on purpose :).)

13. Camille says:

I am going to give you 2 examples of the level of my HP fandom:
    1. I was at the movies with my boyfriend on Friday and there was a trailer for the new HP before our movie. I started weeping because I realized that it is all almost over. Seriously, weeping.
    2. My boyfriend and I have decided that when we have children, we are going to stage a systematic release of the books and movies (probably once a year) so that our children will know the joy of a “new HP book” coming out. A world without Harry Potter is a world that I don’t want to raise my children in.

1. Aww so cute lol. We have 6 fish, and we named them after Harry Potter. And, ironically enough, Fred died! Poor guy :(. Dobbie is still alive, though.

1. Haha! I had fish named Harry, Ron, and Hermione! 😀

14. Amanda says:

Had to delurk. I’ve been reading your blog for ages, and I looooooove it! I’ve never commented before. But I had to comment on that cake, because it ROCKS! I’m obsessed with all things related to Harry Potter. Will you come make one for me???? So cute!!!

15. I can’t wait to see your HP cake — and I haven’t read or watched anything HP. I’ve thought about it th0ugh. My best friend from high school loved those books — I went with her to the book releases at midnight at Barnes and Noble. I remember all of the adults dressed up, it was strange! I had those same feelings going to pick up the new World of Warcraft games with my husband…no he didn’t dress up :)

16. who doesn’t love a good sweet potato. seriously! sweet potato mash is one of my comfort foods, tastes like dessert!

17. Cindy says:

my son was 10 or so when they first came out and we started watching the movies with him…than he started buying the books and I never read one till one day he pestered me too and it was all over.

we are star trek fans, star wars fans and HP fans too.
    I don’t know who I’d be if I raised girls!

but yes, I just discussed with my husband, if he’d take me to see the new one and he said…who you and ME or you and teenage son… ME AND YOU SILLY.
    and so it goes.
    I have a book of HP knits to make up…all the funny knits from the movies….

books of spells and all the great spoofs on youtube. always good for a hearty laugh!

we have all the movies on DVD and starting to re-collect them on blu-ray.
    so sad really. should start saving for college. xoxoxo
    have fun Katie

1. Hehehhee date night to Harry Potter. Hey, why not? I made one of my ex-bfs sit through one with me :).
      Oh, but you wouldn’t have to worry if you raised girls. I love Star Wars too. There are some of us out there lol.

18. Sarah A. says:

I never got into the Harry Potter books, even though I did read the first two. I’ve seen all the movies though, and I’ll see the 7th for sure.

19. Jos says:

I love Harry Potter too and can’t wait to watch the Deathly Hollow! But I am not that crazy enough to watch it at the first month when it’s out b/c I hate sitting in a crowded theater 😀

20. Annette says:

I am not a huge Harry Potter fan, but I haven’t read the books yet (and have only seen the very first movie). When I finish school this semester, I want to try and read all of the books. I figure if that many are so crazy about it, it must be good!

21. I was not a Harry Potter fan at first, but then they grew on me. I loved the books and will probably go see the movie in a couple of weeks when all the fuss dies down.

Those sweet potato burritos look so yummy. I may have to try them soon. :)

1. Same here! I think I had to re-read the first 1/2 of the first book three times before I got into it. I would’ve just given up, but my sister was kinda relentless :-?.

22. Jennifer says:

I definitely love Harry Potter. Like you, Katie, it was my little sister who haunted me to read the books. I kept saying no and finally gave in. So very glad that I did!

23. Valerie says:

I’m reading them to my kids :). I actually had another mom tell me that I was being a bad mother by doing that, teaching my kids witchcraft! What?!? With all the guns and drugs in this world, I’m a bad parent to be reading books to my kids where good triumphs over evil? Really? I was floored. And, of course, it didn’t deter me. We’re still reading :).

24. I’m actually not an HP fan. I know, shocking!

My friends usually think what I cook/bake is weird, too, to the point where they rarely even try it. It frustrates me.

1. Ugh, they used to be that way with me. So I stopped telling them ahead of time that things were healthy or vegan. Now, only AFTER they say they like something will I tell them, “Hey, guess what… it’s vegan! It’s good for you! It has tofu! etc

1. GabyE says:

I do that too. And sometimes the people that just found out they were eating vegan food actually stop eating, even if just before I told them they said they liked it. Ugh- silly closed minded people.

25. Teresa says:

My friends and I are doing the same thing! Except we’re only on movie 3. But we’re going to finish them all by Thursday at midnight when we go see the new movie! I’ve never done one of those opening night midnight movie things, so I’m a bit excited. I LOVE Harry Potter and I actually started reading it before most people in the US. I was in 7th grade and my Lit teacher’s friend had just gotten back from the UK and brought back books 1 and 2 in paperback and she told us that we could read them. I had never heard of it nor had most people in the US, but being the reader I was I picked it up and devoured them (I read the Philosopher’s Stone version)!

The pre movie dinner looks awesome! If my friends cooked such yummy food for me I would be shocked! What lucky friends you have!

1. haha yeah, my friends don’t cook either! At. All. 😉

26. Caitlin says:

My bff, her family, and I went to one of the midnight shows. Her brother dressed up, we put pink lightening bolts on our foreheads, and her dad–an expert in EVERYTHING–carved us beautiful, hand-made, high quality wands. So…yes, I like Harry Potter. Despite popular opinion, I like both the books AND the movies.

It’s so trippy to see pictures of the cast in the first movie and now. Oh my gosh, have we all ever grown up?!

27. Love the sweet potato burrito idea. I bet it’s a great combo of salty & sweet flavors. Mmm.

28. Yes I love Harry Potter! I read all the books in about two days right when they came out, but that also means I forgot lots of them so I’m re-reading the 7th book right now.

I was going to go to see the movie on Friday – had my ticket and everything – but I got an acting job filming that night. Bummer! Except I’m happy to have a job, so… not bummer :)

29. Ill be honest, i have never read, seen, done, H. Potter anything. I dont get it. I am too old :) LOL No seriously, i just dont have enough free time to really get into most things…and it’s just one of those meh things to me. Would rather spend my free time w/ my family, or if alone…watching Bravo TV or reading blogs…LOL

30. Demelza says:

I’m okay with Harry Potter. I’m not a fanatic, nor do I dislike him.
    If you’ll remember, I made the Snape and Harry Potter Puppet Pals
    for a psychology presentation and had to carry them around the rest of the day. ;]
    My brother told me we should smuggle them into the movie theatre,
    sit down in front, and have our own show during the movie. 😛

Haha, I was excited to see sweet potatoes were included in today’s post
    because I just bought some today. 25 cents/pound? SIGN ME UP!

31. Jess says:

I’m going at midnight- I can’t wait!! I love the cake and your shirt:)

32. I LOVE the books to the point it’s almost sad; I had the last three on order as soon as Amazon released the publishing dates! I’m not so keen on the films though, weirdly… I just don’t think you could get how genius the books are across on film!
    That said, I haven’t seen the sixth one yet… maybe that’ll convert me in time for the seventh :-)

33. Fi says:

Ive forced myself to be a hp fan :) i was too sick of people saying “whaaaat, you dont watch harry potter!” and feeling like a weirdo for NOT wanting to be part of a wizard, casting spell and riding on broomsticks world!!” :)

34. I am so. freaking. pumped for H. Potts. It’s insane.

35. tangyh says:

I’ve never read or seen a Harry Potter movie, so I guess I’m one who doesn’t know what all the fuss is about! I wouldn’t rule it out, though. I thought Twilight would be stupid but after a couple years of seeing nothing but Twilight-mania in my Facebook news status, I broke down and didn’t come up for air for a couple of days while reading them! LOL

It’s probably stupid, but I don’t know if I’d be comfortable serving my kind of healthy food to my friends! That’s awesome that your friends gobbled those up! I’m pretty sure anyone I know would take one look at that (or anything not meat-filled or slathered in cheese) and suddenly claim not to be hungry! “what are those–vegetables?!?!” lol But I will have to try it next time! And I would have never thought to pair sweet potatoes with refried beans and salsa! Regular potatoes–heck yes–but I’ll have to expand my sweet potato flavor combinations!

1. Oh I hear you! There are definitely things I wouldn’t feel comfortable serving my friends. Anything with cabbage, kabocha mousse, anything green lol…

36. Aly says:

Yupp! I’m going to a midnight showing of the movie on Thursday! Super excited!!!! 😀
    And a Harry Potter cake sounds fantabulous!!! :) (although, cake in general sounds marvelous!)

37. Heather says:

I CANNOT wait for HP to open. I’ve been a fan since the first book came out. I went and got the 7 book at midnight the day it went on sale. However, I have never dressed up as HP. I think broccoli bowls, savory oatmeal, and your other creations sound fabulous. But, I hate Sweet Potatoes. I’ve tried to like them, honest! I hate them and pumpkin. Blasphemy, I know. So I would sub out the sweet potatoes for broccoli, cauliflower, jicama, or whatever veg I’ve got on hand. :)

1. Eh, as long as you like cauliflower, you’re good in my book ;).

38. bloomingbuzz says:

I LOVE Harry Potter, but have such a massive school-load on Friday that I won’t be joining the midnight premier-goers. Am a little bummed, but still looking forward to seeing it in a (slightly) less crowded theater over the weekend!

39. I am definitely a huge harry potter fan and am so excited for the new movie! I was going to see the movie at midnight but my friend has work early the next day so we decided to go at a more decent hour another day. Also, your sweet potato burrito sounds like the best burrito ever! I’m definitely going to have to try it

40. Kate says:

Soooo excited about Harry Potter. I don’t care how old I am, I love it!

The sweet potatoes look pretty tasty. I’ll have to try that out, I have a ton from the Farmer’s market.

41. ytotheummy says:

WHEEE i love harry potter! even though i’m a scaredy cat and definitely have to cover my eyes sometimes 😀

42. Love that cake! It looks amazing!

Cool idea to add sweet potato to the burrito!

43. monicamuses says:

I am obsessed with HP! I am definitely going to the midnight premiere…even though I have to get up at 6:30 the next morning for a full day of work. Totally worth it! I’ve been to every midnight showing of the movies since the 3rd. With t-shirts (but not nearly as awesome as yours!)

Also, for dinner tonight I had a sweet potato with refried beans and salsa–we’re on the same wavelength :)

44. Hannah says:

Wow! I had no idea but here in Australia, Harry Potter is opening before you guys in America get it!!! That is so unusual, normally we get everything afterwards. I’m seeing the first screening at midnight on the 18th (which would be… 8pm on the 17th for East Coast America), which means that 36 hours from right now I’LL BE WATCHING IT!

Squee!! 😀

45. Harry Potter’s the only magic/mystical movie I’ll watch. I’m definitely not a twilight fan or anything, but I’ll totally get into HP. I kind of watched the marathon but not religiously or anything since I had already seen all the movies.

When the first one came out, my friend and I were convinced we were witches. We were levatating leaves with the best of em! the wind had nothing to do with it haha 😉

46. ecogrrl says:

no harry potter and no lord of the rings for me! but sweet potatoes? my favorite food EVER and i LOOOOVE them in burritos…hallelujah :)

47. I’m definitely a Potter-head. :)

My friends and I had the same idea! To watch all 6 movies in prep for #7, that is. Unfortunately I won’t be able to attend but it’s an excellent idea.

I think you should make a recipe for Butterbeer. 😉

48. sara says:

Soy lattes does not equal healthy. Soy is horrendous for your thyroid and caused my hypothyroidism. (That isn’t just speculation by me but was told to me by my endocrinologist when I was diagnosed). When I used to eat soy, I didn’t have a ton of it either. Maybe 1 or 2 servings every couple of days. Just be careful what you deem as healthy. :)
    *Not trying to pick a fight or anything by the way. Sorry if I come off like that, I’m notoriously good at sounding rude/mad online.
    And I’m a HUGE fan of HP.

1. Hey Sara,
      I actually wrote a whole post about this:
      Please don’t be sorry for having your opinion, though; I love when people are brave enough to state their view on something, even if it’s different from mine :).

49. Raquel says:

Total HP nut, here. I even wrote a few fanfics back in the day, though I hide them now, lol!

I cannot wait for the movie! My little sister and I are attending the movie on Friday with a friend of hers, and are so psyched! This one looks like it’s going to rock!

50. Haylee says:

I’m not super into Harry Potter but wish I was! I’ve read the first couple of books when I was in grade school but someday I’m going to restart the series and finish the whole thing. :)
    I love the idea of your marathon by the way! I may not be into the books but I’m all for the movies.

51. Moni'sMeals says:

I am laughing because I too have been watching all the movies back to back. I bought my ticket 2 weeks ago for this weekend. :)

So glad you and I have that in common (and many others too!)

Nice meal there too. Easy does it!

52. Jennifer says:

I can’t wait! I’m generally a literary snob but when it comes to Harry Potter, I am unabashed in my adoration. I’m hosting a vegetarian, HP-themed dinner party on Thursday night (costumes required!) before my friends and I all set out to the movie theatre at midnight. It’s going to be so great!

1. Wow, that pretty much sounds like the coolest party ever!

53. laurak says:

I am a HUGE Harry fan… like one of those nerds who’s read all of the books at least 8 or 9 times each! The film comes out (in Aus) at midnight tomorrow, and I’m quite abashed at having to wait until sunday afternoon, when my friends want to go and see it!
    For the first film’s debut I actually dressed up in costume, and eventually got heckled to take off my witches hat by audience members, which I begrudgingly did lol.
    Your harry cake looks amazing, you’re so clever Katie!
    Laura :)

54. Huge HP fan here! According to my mom that’s all she ever heard me and my friends talk about 4th-6th grade.

55. Cynthia K says:

Oh my goodness, those burritos look soooo good…but my bf doesn’t like sweet potatoes. :(
    That’s the kind of thing that makes me refer to him as a “d*mn Yankee”. What a weirdo, loves sweet tea, hates sweet potato.

I’ve always been a little sad that I’m NOT really into Harry Potter, because the books are really well-written. They are, however, on my To-Read-To-Daughter list for when she gets a little older.

56. Kelly says:

HP will always have a [giant and very special] place in my heart, even though the movies never quite live up to the [admittedly high standards I have for the] books! I’ve dressed up for midnight releases of the books and the movies, made Potter-esque foods, and went to the new HP theme park in Florida. HP basically fills me with all sorts of happiness – as does your Potteriffic cake!

57. STEPHANIE says: