Does Harry Potter like Sweet Potatoes?

Are you excited about the new Harry Potter movie?

I am! A few of my friends and I started an HP-watching marathon, where we’ve been getting together once or twice a week to watch the first six movies in preparation for the seventh (which comes out on November 19th). Last night I invited them over a bit early, for a little dinner party before movie night. We were up to the 5th movie. On the menu:

NYC2010 1177

Fiesta “Sweet Potato” Burritos

Whenever my friends come over for dinner, I try to think of something I can serve that they won’t find too weird or “vegan” (which, unfortunately, they see as synonymous with “weird”). Foods like broccoli bowls, savory oatmeal, and anything with brussels sprouts are definitely out. Tofu too, although some of my friends are warming up to it. A couple of them have even told me they’ve switched to ordering soy lattes at Starbucks. Post-grad health kick!

I figured sweet potato burritos were a safe bet, considering they contain no tofu, they contain no brussels sprouts, and they contain no oatmeal. Besides, who doesn’t like sweet potatoes?

NYC2010 1175

Steps one and two, above: refried beans and sweet potatoes. You can also sub winter squash. Below, step three: the salsa. Steps 4 and 5 are unpictured: adding the spinach and rolling it up. Oh yeah, and then eating it!

NYC2010 1176

Unsurprisingly, the Fiesta Sweet Potato Burritos were a hit.

I think self-serve-type meals like this are good for parties, because they’re low-key, and because people can customize their food. (For example, one of my friends hates spinach, so she left it off.) Our after-dinner entertainment was pretty top-notch as well. So it was a successful evening. Now it’s time to plan for the 6th movie-watching get-together.

harry potter cake

For our next party, I’m thinking another Harry Potter Cake might be in order.

1. Melissa says:

This Chicago Diner makes the BEST sweet potato quesadillas ever. OMG.

Refried black beans, sweet potato, spinach, seitan, Daiya vegan mozz on a spinach tortilla all grilled and toasty. Drooooolllllll… ridiculously good.

I’ve had a couple things with sweet potatoes (or squash) and beans and it’s just such a fantastic combo! I make a butternut squash and black bean casserole (from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen blog – she used pumpkin, I like butternut) and a butternut squash and black bean chili that are both just super. Mmmm. I’m doing the casserole for dinner tonight but I’ll need to try (again) to recreate the Chi Diner quesadillas soon.

Melissa

1. lauravirginia says:

That quesadilla sounds SO good!!!

2. Sarahishealthy says:

Biggest Harry Potter fan ever, right here! I could give your sister a run for her money. I’ve read all the books multiple times, and even have the trivia game. Wow, that’s embarrassing :-?.

1. Ilana says:

not embarrassing!!! I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve read each book, but I promise it’s a LOT!!

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Woohoo! Thank goodness :). It makes me feel less like a nerd to know there are other normal girls out there who share my love :).

3. Lisa C. says:

I never got into Harry Potter. I’d say it was due to my age, but I know people older than me who have read them, so I can’t blame it on that.
    Your burritos sound delicious, and that cake is beautiful!

4. Albizia says:

I’m a huge Harry Potter fan and I don’t care at all what other people think about a 24-year-old obsessed with a childish fairytale. I also read all the books with the speed of light because I couldn’t put them down until the last page and although I love the books more than the movies I am looking forward for the seventh part. I hope I can see it soon.

I wish there were enough Harry Potter fans around me for a themed party. It seems like you’ve had a great time. And a Harry Potter cake? Can it get any better?

1. Haha I don’t care if my friends are HP fans or not. I tell them they HAVE to watch the movies with me… a few of them have never read the books, but they’re still happy for an excuse to get together :).

5. OMG, I’m so freakin’ excited about the movie!! Now that there are no more books to be read, the movies are all we have left….and even that’s almost over. 🙁 I’m sooooo going on Friday night, probably decked out in full witch gear because I’m a nerd like that.

6. I have never read the Harry Potter books or seen any of the movies, but I can respect the people who do, as I have had other obsessions of my own, lol! 🙂

I put sweet potato on sandwiches all the time but had never thought to put it on a burrito, brilliant!

7. shelby says:

Ahh I’m soooooooooo excited! Although I haven’t seen move 5 or 6! I’m going to have to get my butt to the video store to rent them before friday. I did read all the books (and cried profusely). Love them!

8. Danielle says:

I’ve never really been much of a harry potter fan. My cousins were always into them- reading the books, listening to the tapes, harry potter posters and stickers in their room, but I haven’t ever picked up one of the books. But, the sweet potato burritos look delicious! I’m a vegetarian, so i’ll have to try them(:

1. I think it was one of the first-ever vegetarian meals I ate! (Well, when I was a vegetarian. Obviously I had pb&js or spaghetti when I was an omnivore, but this was vegetarian on purpose :).)

9. Camille says:

I am going to give you 2 examples of the level of my HP fandom:
    1. I was at the movies with my boyfriend on Friday and there was a trailer for the new HP before our movie. I started weeping because I realized that it is all almost over. Seriously, weeping.
    2. My boyfriend and I have decided that when we have children, we are going to stage a systematic release of the books and movies (probably once a year) so that our children will know the joy of a “new HP book” coming out. A world without Harry Potter is a world that I don’t want to raise my children in.

1. Aww so cute lol. We have 6 fish, and we named them after Harry Potter. And, ironically enough, Fred died! Poor guy :(. Dobbie is still alive, though.

1. lauravirginia says:

Haha! I had fish named Harry, Ron, and Hermione! 😀

10. Amanda says:

Had to delurk. I’ve been reading your blog for ages, and I looooooove it! I’ve never commented before. But I had to comment on that cake, because it ROCKS! I’m obsessed with all things related to Harry Potter. Will you come make one for me???? So cute!!!

11. I can’t wait to see your HP cake — and I haven’t read or watched anything HP. I’ve thought about it th0ugh. My best friend from high school loved those books — I went with her to the book releases at midnight at Barnes and Noble. I remember all of the adults dressed up, it was strange! I had those same feelings going to pick up the new World of Warcraft games with my husband…no he didn’t dress up 🙂

12. Sarah A. says:

I never got into the Harry Potter books, even though I did read the first two. I’ve seen all the movies though, and I’ll see the 7th for sure.

13. Jos says:

I love Harry Potter too and can’t wait to watch the Deathly Hollow! But I am not that crazy enough to watch it at the first month when it’s out b/c I hate sitting in a crowded theater 😀

14. Annette says:

I am not a huge Harry Potter fan, but I haven’t read the books yet (and have only seen the very first movie). When I finish school this semester, I want to try and read all of the books. I figure if that many are so crazy about it, it must be good!

15. I was not a Harry Potter fan at first, but then they grew on me. I loved the books and will probably go see the movie in a couple of weeks when all the fuss dies down.

Those sweet potato burritos look so yummy. I may have to try them soon. 🙂

1. Same here! I think I had to re-read the first 1/2 of the first book three times before I got into it. I would’ve just given up, but my sister was kinda relentless :-?.

16. Jennifer says:

I definitely love Harry Potter. Like you, Katie, it was my little sister who haunted me to read the books. I kept saying no and finally gave in. So very glad that I did!

17. Valerie says:

I’m reading them to my kids :). I actually had another mom tell me that I was being a bad mother by doing that, teaching my kids witchcraft! What?!? With all the guns and drugs in this world, I’m a bad parent to be reading books to my kids where good triumphs over evil? Really? I was floored. And, of course, it didn’t deter me. We’re still reading :).

18. Teresa says:

My friends and I are doing the same thing! Except we’re only on movie 3. But we’re going to finish them all by Thursday at midnight when we go see the new movie! I’ve never done one of those opening night midnight movie things, so I’m a bit excited. I LOVE Harry Potter and I actually started reading it before most people in the US. I was in 7th grade and my Lit teacher’s friend had just gotten back from the UK and brought back books 1 and 2 in paperback and she told us that we could read them. I had never heard of it nor had most people in the US, but being the reader I was I picked it up and devoured them (I read the Philosopher’s Stone version)!

The pre movie dinner looks awesome! If my friends cooked such yummy food for me I would be shocked! What lucky friends you have!

1. haha yeah, my friends don’t cook either! At. All. 😉

19. Caitlin says:

My bff, her family, and I went to one of the midnight shows. Her brother dressed up, we put pink lightening bolts on our foreheads, and her dad–an expert in EVERYTHING–carved us beautiful, hand-made, high quality wands. So…yes, I like Harry Potter. Despite popular opinion, I like both the books AND the movies.

It’s so trippy to see pictures of the cast in the first movie and now. Oh my gosh, have we all ever grown up?!

20. Yes I love Harry Potter! I read all the books in about two days right when they came out, but that also means I forgot lots of them so I’m re-reading the 7th book right now.

I was going to go to see the movie on Friday – had my ticket and everything – but I got an acting job filming that night. Bummer! Except I’m happy to have a job, so… not bummer 🙂