A Foodie invades Whole Foods

Look out, Whole Foods!

Sadly, I must admit that all self-restraint flies out the wide-open window whenever I go to Whole Foods.  On each trip to the healthy-food haven, I always manage to bring home at least one new product I don’t really need! Last week’s trip saw me leave with two new products. Okay, three new products. But who’s counting?

I incorporated two of them into my dinner a few days ago:

invades

Started with a huge serving (1/2 bag) coleslaw with tahini dressing.

Then: White Bean Salpica dip (new product 1) and roasted kabocha with raw walnuts and goji berries (new product 2). The goji berries, I ended up picking off. I didn’t realize you’re supposed to soak them first! They were beyond chewy (i.e. inedible). At least I know for next time!

NYC2010 358

Although I liked the Salpica dip, the flavor was a bit too strong to eat much of it on its own. But I later discovered that this dip tastes incredibly yummy on veggies—especially brussels sprouts. It also makes a delish pasta sauce. And if you want to incorporate the two tasty ideas together, you’ll get my lunch yesterday (well, part of my lunch, anyway):

NYC2010 802

Salpica white bean dip, mixed with High-Protein Spaghetti and sprouts.

1. Tangy says:

NO, I do not have self-restraint in certain places. Target, Sephora, Ulta…I walk in planning to spend $20 and walk out $100 later wondering what happened. I have to avoid those stores 😛

I’ve never been to a Whole Foods (never even seen one, actually!) but I’m sure I could go a little crazy in there as well!

2. I had no idea you were supposed to soak them!
    But I did find fresh goji berries at our farmers market, and they were soo much better. Except they were 5 dollars for a tinyy container…

3. Cecilia says:

Oh gosh, I think we are all the same with $$ spending. I literally have to tell myself “No, Celia!’ out loud at the shops the other day. I’m pretty sure anyone next to me thought that I’m a nutzo. 🙂

4. Camille says:

I can generally show self restraint while shopping, but I haven’t been shopping for anything but food in a while, so that might not hold true anymore!

5. Gloria says:

I hear ya. Whole Foods and I have a love/hate relationship. I get so lost in the magical healthy product (and free sample!) wonderland until I’m standing in the checkout line with 6 new jars of nut butter and $200 worth of produce, thinking of my already packed fridge and pantry and wondering “where the heck am I gonna put all this stuff?!”

PS – had banana walnut boatmeal yesterday. topped with almond butter. I’m in love 🙂

1. Oh Gloria, I’m so excited you tried it!! And liked it!! Thanks for telling me hehe :).

6. sarah says:

Agreed! Especially when coconut butter is there, right Katie? 🙂

7. Lisa C. says:

The salpica dip sounds delicious. I get the best ideas from your blog :). I’ll have to look out for it! And I still haven’t seen that spaghetti :(.

8. I am in school and broooooooooooooke right now, so I’m being forced to learn restraint… it’s tough!

9. Oh wow, I could spend HOURS in Whole Foods. Actually I could spend some time in ANY grocery store, but Whole Foods is the best! Too bad its like 45 minutes away from my house……..

10. Surprisingly I have pretty good self restraint when shopping…I usually have to Love it before I buy it :). But I agree, when it comes to whole foods I usually end up with a few extra items in my bag :). I’m even worse in a natural foods store though…EVERY isle has something I want to try 🙂

11. My self restraint totally flies at the window at whole foods. And trader joes. And pretty much any grocery store that has interesting foods!!!! I can’t help it!

12. VEGirl says:

I have no self-restraint when getting new products; or I wouldn’t if I didn’t spend so long in the store in the first place :)! I’ll tally up the money total in my head, wander around the store for I while, get in and out of line five times…. yeah, there is no such thing as a short grocery trip for me!

13. I have gotten much better at self restraint — paying off loads of credit card debt helped Jason and I learn self restraint — now we budget for things and we stick to it! It sucks sometimes, but now that we’ve paid the credit cards off we have more “wiggle room” which is great!

14. It’s hard, but I am somehow able to mostly stick to just getting what I need or will know I use. It takes a LOT of willpower, though.

15. Vegyogini says:

I never soak goji berries, but I suppose you could to reduce the chewiness! I’m curious about the salpica dip; that’s new to me.

16. I don’t have much self-restraint around baking supply shops. They’re too tempting! Whole Foods is coming to my grandparents’ town soon, and I can’t wait to check it out! 🙂

17. I think if there was a proper American Whole Foods anywhere near me, I’d be broke! I first went to the Kensington one when I was in London the other week. It’s got nowhere near as much as the American ones and I STILL came out about £40 poorer! That wouldn’t have been too bad had it been a week’s food shopping but none of it was essential.
    I’m just the same with new things and although I’d love a proper Whole Foods nearby, in a way I’m kind of glad there isn’t one 🙂

18. Stefanie says:

It depends on my mood. Sometimes I don’t care and will buy what I want. Mostly I do not buy everything I want because I try to practical. Saves money in the long run and I do not miss what I did not buy. Whole Foods is my weakness though. That is why I limit myself to going there no more then twice a week. 🙂 Thanks to you, I am on a Brussels Sprouts kick.

19. Ilana says:

being broke and no longer on your parent’s dime is a really good way to learn self-restraint 😉 before I was a spendaholic, now I’m learning to save and not buy every cool tasty new treat I see. It’s hard,but part of it includes NEVER going to Whole Foods!!

1. Never? As in ever? Ah, Ilana, I need some of your self-restraint!
      I’m really good with clothes and things, though. In fact, my mom is usually the one saying, “Oh, you need this. Let me buy it for you.” And I’m the one saying, “No, I really don’t need another shirt/dress/shoe/pretty plate/etc.” 🙂

20. spoonfulofsugarfree says:

I love goji berries!!! I like to mix them with cacao nibs for a high-antioxidant energy snack…

I have a little too much self-restraint while shopping. I hate spending money…I must have something against spending because I walk out of a lot of stores empty-handed…