Raw Chocolate Cream Pie

America loves gossip.

Is anyone else a little scared that so many more people are interested in Lindsay Lohan’s drinking habits than, say, how to make Raw Snickerdoodle Cookies?

Yeah, me too. America’s obsession with useless gossip is utterly frightening. But here’s a piece of juicy gossip that isn’t useless:

creampie2

If you add 4 tbsp cocoa powder to the Raw Coconut Cream Pie recipe, you get chocolate cream pie. You heard it here first. Now go spread it around town.

creampie

Raw Chocolate Cream Pie

• heaping 1/2 cup Thai coconut meat (about 110g)
  • 1 1/2 cups raw zucchini (250g) (For a pie with a more traditional “coconut cream pie” taste, or if you don’t want the green color, omit the zucchini and add that much more coconut meat.)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder
  • stevia or sweetener of choice, to taste
  • Optional 2 tbsp coconut oil, for a richer taste
  • Optional for a mint chocolate chip pie, add a few drops pure peppermint extract

Add all the ingredients together and blend very well. If you’re using a Magic Bullet, you might want to blend the zucchini a little first so it doesn’t stay chunky. Transfer your mixture to a pie crust (or pie pan, for a crustless pie) and freeze. If you freeze it more than a few hours, thaw before eating.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. anonymous says:

i think your lying. i have a food blog too and only get about 100 people visiting every day so how could someone with the same blog subject get so many more? there aren’t that many people interested in seeing other peoples food every day.

1. If you want to be specific, I didn’t get X visitors yesterday. I got [K’s note, September 2011 : I edited this info out of the post; it’s not reflective of my traffic numbers anymore]. But I wasn’t offering up my stats in order to brag; there are a lot of other food bloggers out there who get more visitors than me. Mine is definitely not the biggest food blog around.
      Also, even if I wanted to lie, I couldn’t, as Cory (Zestycook) has all my passwords and knows my stats and sitemeter. So he can back me up on this. My whole point in listing the stats was to prove a point, showing the great difference between gossip blogs and foodie blogs, not to start an argument.

1. Iris says:

I only get about 400 views a day, and that’s a lot for me. It’s all relative. I’m not surprised CCK gets so many viewers. Her blog is awesome and aside from the food, I come back for her awesome personality…you can tell she’s the kind of person you’d want to hang out with. 🙂

1. Aw Iris, thank you so much. I’d love to hang out with you, too! In fact, I think we should get ALL the Higginses together for one big “family” reunion ;)!

2. Melissa says:

O.o

Maybe if you didn’t post anonymous snarky comments and instead were a polite, interesting commenter on places like CCK (and posted under you name/blog link), you’d get some more traffic to your blog? I’m pretty sure places like Vegan Yum Yum and Fat Free Vegan Blog get loads of traffic. Ditto CCK and Happy Herbivore (as smaller but still popular blogs). Vegan is a niche and vegans, in general, like food. I’m not surprised at all by Katie’s numbers.

3. Lisa C. says:

Besides, did you see how much someone just paid for her fudge babies over at Carrotsncake.com, which is a blog that probably a lot more visitors than even what CCK gets? $105? I’d say that proves she’s got some crazy loyal fans, me included :). Love you, CCK!

4. Anonymous2 says:

Maybe you should try using proper spelling, grammar, and capitalization like Katie. It seems to make blogs more appealing. 🙂

1. Aw thanks, anon. Wow, that was an old post! And you reminded me to change my comment. I now know better; that numbers upset people. And the numbers about which I was writing aren’t even true anymore, so I edited my comment to reflect that. But yeah, I am a grammar nerd! 🙂

2. I like your blog much more than I do gossip blogs!!!!!!!!
    That cream pie looks wonderful. Wonder how it would taste if you “iced” it with peanut butter???? Reese’s pb cup cream pie, anyone?

1. Oh that does sound divine. Chocolate and coconut and peanut butter all together in one place… wowie! 🙂

3. Jennifer JCD says:

I was waiting for you to make the chocolate version; I knew you would! I think this looks yummier than the original, actually.

As for celebrity gossip, I don’t even know who most celebrities are, yet alone what they are up to. I really don’t care. Sure, there are a few actors I like to see in movies over others, but I couldn’t tell you who their spouse is or where they go on holidays. I don’t want strange people knowing those things about me, so I wouldn’t even think to read those things about other people.

1. Well of course it looks yummier than the original. It is chocolate, after all ;).

4. Camille says:

I am going to be honest, I am a celebrity gossip blog reader. It is a habit I want to kick… really!
    Besides, food blogs are better anyway 🙂

1. Hey, you’ll get no judgment from me. LOL as I said, I like those stupid tabloids, so who am I to talk? 😉

5. Annette says:

I do read the celebrity gossip web-sites…but I also read a lot of food blogs, too. Maybe I should just get off the internet and read a book or something!!! lol
    Oh, and every show I watch on TV is a reality show. The only scripted shows I watch are Cougar Town and Modern Family. My goal for the month of January is to not watch any TV – I want to see how productive I can be.

6. This chocolate cream pie has just become an absolute necessity in my life. I’m going to have to make it the instant I get into the kitchen. As for the celebrity gossip deal.. I am amazed by it, too. People go sort of crazy tracking their favorite stars. I used to watch laguna beach and the like but have since come to my senses! Discovery channel and food network provide much better entertainment.

7. I used to read Perez Hilton, but he is malicious! I don’t really follow celebrity gossip anymore, but not going to lie- Jersey Shore is my guilty pleasure!

8. Cynthia says:

I don’t really follow the gossip sites or magazines. You can never really tell what’s true anyway.

I do watch a couple of reality shows, but most of them are food based. I like Top Chef and Hell’s Kitchen. I do like Survivor a lot too. I saw one episode of Jersey Shore and that was enough. I don’t get it.

9. LOL, I am exciting to be getting a mere 100-150 hits a day! I have only been blogging for a month though! 🙂

I used to be HUGE into celebrity gossip, but I’ve really tried to let it go. It was consuming waaaay too much of time!

1. I think that’s awesome. Although I don’t know how many visitors I was getting when I first started out, I’m betting it was closer to 5 LOL.

10. Celebrity gossip used my guilty pleasure, but I never read blogs about it! I made do with trashy magazines instead! 😛 Now, I read blogs instead! Much better! 😀

11. *Andrea* says:

this pie has got my attention!!! chocolate in general gets my attention 😉 looks wicked good! i used to be way more obsessed with gossip – i read perez hilton multiple times per day – but lately i’ve been toning it down because i have less time! i do go on people.com though b/c it tends to be the most factual and concise. occasionally i will read an in touch or US mag if it’s at my gym, but i won’t buy them anymore. i (secretly) loved the Hills! and laguna beach! we had laguna parties in high school to watch haha

1. I love how you said “wicked good.” Hmmm, might you be from Boston? 😉

12. lindsay says:

now that some good gossip! I might be the only one that can’t stand perez hilton. EEK!
    LC

13. Pauline says:

What a beautiful cake ! I think it’s also delicious as it seem so ! 🙂

14. I’m a reality show whore. Other than Glee (which I LOVE!), reality shows are really the only ones I like. I watch TLC 24/7….except when the new Sarah Palin show is on because she makes me want to throw things at my TV.

1. Ugh me too me too me too!!!! I saw it on the other night and wanted to cry :(.

15. Food gossip’s way better than celeb gossip anyday. 😉

16. VEGirl says:

I don’t read any gossip blogs or mags, or receive any. Although my guilty pleasure is flipping through the zines while waiting in the line at the grocery store. Once I read an article in a mag in Safeway that talked about Lisa Edelstein (Dr. Cuddy, on “House”. Top favorite show!) and her vegetarianism, complete with an interview and some of her favorite recipes. It was pretty cool! From the sound of it she is actually vegan. Who knew?! Now I think she is even more awesome that she was before 🙂
    VEGirl

1. I love discovering that people I already liked are vegetarians! Like Natalie Portman :).

17. I read some celebrity gossip, but I don’t read Perez because I don’t like how mean he is. I heard he’s trying to change, though, so maybe he isn’t so mean anymore. A lot of it I don’t care about but I find it fun to see what people do and what clothes they wear.

I don’t watch reality TV. Can’t stand it.

18. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free says:

This is an outrage!!!! Who would want to read Hilton’s blog over your’s??? 😉

But I think I need to try my idea, too! And yours! First I have to grab some mint extract and some cashews….unless I want to try and make it with all zucchini! I don’t think that will turn out too well, do you? hehe…

19. Lauren @ Coachlauren.net says:

Hi Katie!
    I’m new to your blog and just wanted to pop in and say hello 🙂

I only recently discovered the whole idea of raw eating when I saw a couple of documentaries and became hooked. I’m going to be trying to incorporate more raw foods into my diet and possibly go all raw as time goes on!

As far as gossip, I must say that I LOVE reality tv, hahha…I love watching the drama of it. I have to say that I don’t like drama in my own life…but I love to watch it on tv!

And I love chocolate as well so you can pretty much consider me a new regular reader 🙂

Lauren

1. Hi Lauren!! *Waves like crazy*
      Thanks so much for the sweet comment. And I’m relieved to know I’m not the only one who likes seeing others’ drama lol. I dunno, I guess it makes us feel better about the fact that ours are sane and calm, right? 😉

1. Lauren @ Coachlauren.net says:

Hahahha, that’s right….it makes me feel so normal!

20. Little Bookworm says:

That pie looks amazing, and I love the suggestion of adding mint as well. Mint chocolate is a great combination! Hope you are having a great day Katie! 🙂