Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

“Home Alone” Cooking

The post title refers not only to my lack of company last night, but also to my entertainment for the evening: Home Alone. Slowly, I’m making my way through the Christmas movies.

Before my Christmas-movie fest last night, I made myself a yummy little dinner:

kamut flakes pilaf

The movie star of the show: Bread-free Vegan Stuffing.
But just as delicious was the simple, quick pilaf I made up to go with my stuffing.

vegan stuffing

“Home Alone” Pilaf for One

• 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 serving kamut flakes (or oats, spelt flakes, etc.) (40g)
  • 1-3 tsp vegan butter (such as Earth Balance or Smart Balance light)
  • 1 cup water (240g)

Directions: First—and this step is optional—pulse the flakes in a small magic bullet cup or blender if you want the texture of grits (or oat bran). Otherwise, start with step two: Cook the grain in a small pot, with the water and salt, until most of the water is absorbed. Add the vegan butter. (You can also add more salt, to taste.)

vegan lentil stuffing

Do you like being home alone?

Tags: , , ,

1. First comment? WOO HOO!
    “Yummy LITTLE dinner?” I don’t think “little dinner” is even in your vocabulary! 🙂 I love that you don’t make pilaf with rice. I’ve never tried savory oats, but you’ve inspired me to.

1. Definitely do it! LOL I know it sounds weird, but hey, why not? 😉

1. I totally tried your home alone pilaf for lunch. I used oats and pulsed them for only a few seconds in my blender, and added a little bit of rosemary. Oh my gosh, Katie!!!! You’re a genius!

1. Oh my gosh, I’m so excited you tried it! And I love your idea to add rosemary. I’m going to try YOUR idea :).

2. Katie I *love* the pink ribbon 🙂 🙂 🙂 Great choice!

Home Alone is one my all time favorite holiday movies to watch — to this day I cringe when that robber steps on that big nail on the steps — youch!!!

When I am home alone I like to soak in the tub, read a book, bake, talk on the phone/skype with friends/family. Or I find a good marathon on tv and watch for hours! (America’s Next Top Model or Pawn Stars have been my favorites lately)

3. Lisa C. says:

I love love Home Alone! I don’t really like being home alone, though. But I bet if I had your Bread free Vegan Stuffing, I wouldn’t mind so much ;).

4. Sarahishealthy says:

LOL about the pink ribbon. I love how you always put fake flowers or something else fun in your photos to jazz them up. Not that they aren’t jazzy enough with just the gorgeous food :).
    I still have that stuffing on my to-do list. And now I might have to add the pilaf too. It looks so yummy. I’ve never seen kamut flakes, but I did see Eden spelt flakes at WF the other day, so I might have to splurge!

5. Sometimes being home alone is nice, but I have an overactive imagination and can freak myself out! 🙂

6. eatandrun says:

Love that movie! The food looks delicious as well :).

7. Albizia says:

Oh, how I crave this stuffing! Do your meals really have to always look so delicious? I had dinner an hour ago and now I am hungry again.

I love being alone most of the time. I watch movies and read books, too. And sometimes I sing because I am too shy to sing in front of people. My craziest “alone” activity is cleaning. It may sound weird but I like cleaning the whole place and contemplating the results 😀 .

1. Hehe sometimes they don’t look appealing at all. But those go un-photographed ;).

8. abby says:

ooooh katie, your pilaf sounds so yummylicious! just like everything you make hehe. i want to be your tummy. i love grits, but am bummed that they’re not whole wheat, so i want to try this asap! maybe with some oat bran because i am lazy and don’t feel like doing the first step!

9. Jennifer JCD says:

I don’t like being home ALL alone, so that’s why we have two kitties to curl up with me when my husband is out of the house. I would feel really lonely without them. When I am home alone (with the kitties) I love to cook, fold laundry (whilst watching a movie), and catch up on sewing projects.

We’re watching all our Christmas movies too, and we even found some ‘new’ ones at a thrift store this weekend. What are your top 5 Christmas movies?

1. Listed at the bottom of this post:
      But if it’s a Christmas movie, I’m almost guaranteed to love it!

10. Camille says:

I do like being home alone. I am a bit of a “one man wolf pack”, if you will (Please, please know which movie that is from!) so I like my “me” time.
    I think really I just wanted to use that quote 🙂

1. Hehe I didn’t! So I googled it. I’ve never seen The Hangover. Sad, I know!

1. Camille says:

You must see it!
        If you e-mail me your address, I will send you a copy!

11. Valerie says:

Wow, so ironic that you would post this today. I went to the store and bought all the ingredients to make your “stuffing” last night! Will let you know how it turns out :).

12. i get so lonely when im home alone..which is frequent actually. i definitely feel like i’m in that movie lol. but its also fun sometimes cuz it means i get the kitchen to myself and can make hugeeee stir fries <3

gahh i cant tell you how much i love your site upgrades. its so much fun visiting ur blog because everything looks so clean and professional!

1. Aww girl, thank you! LOL I feel like the old posts now have a lot of white space around them and look weird… but I’m just being nit picky!
      Love you!

13. I enjoy being home alone. Sometimes ‘me time’ is necessary!

I’ve been looking for kamut flakes. but I can’t seem to find them anywhere! They look like a great alternative to oats.

14. I like being alone, but not for too long! =D I read, watch a movie, bake, or study whenever I am alone! =D P.S. A Single Lady Cookie would be awesome!!!!!

1. Valerie says:

I agree!!! I need a single-lady cookie in my life :).

15. allison says:

haha oh macally culkin, what happened to you?
    katie, the meal looks great! 🙂

16. Maria says:

I love Home Alone! Have you seen the third one though? It’s TERRIBLE!

17. Haha! One man wolf pack! Good one, Camille. Favorite movie ever! Anyway, I LOVE being home alone. I’m an only child, so I grew up spending a lot of time with myself. And honestly, I’m my own best company. I must have “me” time or I’ll go crazy. I love dining alone, shopping alone, you name it. Does that make me a hermit? I do have friends, but I choose to ignore their calls and invites sometimes.

18. Oooh I really want to make that tasty looking pilaf, especially since it only has 4 ingredients! 🙂
    My favourite home alone activitie is baking! 😀 Well, to be honest, I do that whether I’m alone or not, but being alone gives me a good excuse I think! 😛 So yes ,I love being home alone!

19. Tori says:

Make those cupcakes and cookies microwaveable and I might just have to try em!

1. There IS a microwaveable version, thanks to miss HEAB. If you look under the original recipe (linked in this post), there’s a link to HEAB’s idea :).

20. I love being alone! I relax, read Harry Potter or bake alone…so fun and comforting! Sometimes I even like being alone more than with being with other people….!