Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

The “Anything-but-Oatmeal” Breakfast

This morning, the unthinkable happened:
I came in from running and did not feel like oatmeal. So I left my oats for tomorrow. Then, I made a quick breakfast to reflect what I was craving:

vegan english muffin 3

Peanut Butter and Maple on a toasted vegan English muffin.

This was perfection. I hate meals that take longer to make than to eat. Especially when you’ve just exercised, the last thing you wanna do is exercise more in the kitchen! Plus, there’s just something so comforting about creamy peanut butter, a soft muffin, and warm maple syrup.

vegan english muffin
vegan english muffin 2

I washed my muffin down with a big glass of Homemade Cashew Milk.
(No lack of healthy fats in this meal!)

1. I’m a huge fan of the old-fashioned oatmeal chocolate chip cookie myself!

2. Tori says:

Start with a simple chocolate chip first, then maybe go into more crazy ingredients. And I mean “crazy” in the best way possible!

3. Do I have to pick just one?! Ok, fine… the bon bons I just made! Mint kisses in the middle… TDF!

4. There’s nothing like a nice warm peanut butter toast to comfort you on a cold day :) Melty peanut butter on toasty bread=comfort food!

Well…since I don’t really eat cookies I don’t have a favorite. But when I used to eat cookies, I loved those peanut butter cookies with the chocolate medallion on top!

When I was little, my mom worked for Better Homes and Gardens magazines. They put me in their Christmas cookie photo shoot, and had me pose with the most beautifully made gingerbread man you’ve ever seen! It was perfect. I was shy with other people when I was 4, so I looked like I was going to cry in the picture! Anyway, they let me keep the beautiful gingerbread man. Well, it tasted awful. It was rock-hard! That is why you can’t trust the looks of food on magazines 😉

5. Jennifer JCD says:

You mean longer to make than to eat?

Peanut butter and maple is a great flavour combination. I really like the Christmas decoration in the photo too, nice touch!

Christmas cookies? I’m a cookie monster, so I like them all, but specifically at Christmas, decorated gingerbread and sugar cookies win every time. A friend of mine (not vegan) even found a perfect sugar cookie recipe we made last weekend. Mmm… I’m just thinking of those cookies with some sort of coconut butter icing would be perfect for you!

1. Yes ugh lol. Thanks for catching it, JCD! :)

6. My favorite Christmas cookies are Sirups Kager – Danish spice cookies. We’ve been making them vegan for a quite a few years now to appease my brother (who’s been a vegan for twelve years), and found that we like them much better that way!

7. You may have just inspired my breakfast… peanut butter and maple does sound suuuuuper appealing this morning! :)

8. My favorite cookie is a Peanut Butter Blossom — the PB cookie with the Kiss in the middle. I could eat those all day, every day.

And, as a suggestion, please make up a Single Lady Brownie. I’m asking Santa for one this Christmas :)

9. Camille says:

I can’t imagine not feeling oats for breakfast. That is the day I would know I had lost my mind :)
    Btw, I sent you the movie yesterday only to be informed by my boyfriend when he got home that the way I burned it likely will not play for you. Please let me know if it doesn’t work and I will burn you another copy the regular way!

10. hahah. I’m laughing about cooking something longer than it takes to eat it. I made dinner for 8 people yesterday. I started cooking at 4:30 and went non-stop until the dish went in the oven at 7:15 (I made individual seitan pot pies). And of course it took about 20 minutes for everyone to be done eating that and a big salad. Not the best return on investment, I suppose.

1. I wouldn’t have wanted to be you… but I would’ve LOVED to have been one of your guests. How lucky were they to be treated to such deliciousness?! Seriously? :)

11. Oatmeal chocolate chip is the best! Or pumpkin… anything with pumpkin!

12. Mia says:

That english muffin looks so good. My stomach just started growling.

A single-lady cookie? Oh joy! I can’t wait! My favorite cookie would be either chocolate chip or double fudge chocolatey chip.

13. I’m truly in love with the classic chocolate chip (chewy, not cake-y), which I know is boring… but hey- can’t go wrong with a classic!

1. I think classic chocolate chip might be my favorite too! :)
      Sometimes simple is best.

14. I love the idea of a single lady cookie! Oatmeal Raisin or double chocolate chip are my favorites (chocolate cookie dough with chocolate chips).

15. raw maple syrup is divine! my fave cookie is the humble chocolate chip. also a huge fan of the ginger snap! mmm

16. Anonymous says:

I always crave gingerbread/spice cookies this time of year. However, I havent really ever found HEALTHY versions of these. I’d love you to create one!!!! :)

17. Albizia says:

Anything with coconut. But if suddenly all the coconuts in the world disappear, I’d switch to walnut cookies :) .

1. Um, what?? Don’t even joke about such things!!! 😉

18. My favorite Christmas cookie is decorated sugar cookies. :)

19. Favourite cookie – chocolate chip. Or double chocolate chip (so cocoa powder and chocolate chips in the cookie). 😀

20. Brandi says:

My favorite cookie is usually peanut butter, but as of lately I really like ginger snaps! I also made a cookie from the blog Oh She Glows with a few subs that was a oatmeal one, that I love!

As for a single lady cookie I think you should make a peanut butter chocolate chip!

This post also made me want a english muffin with peanut butter and maple….maybe I should go buy some today.

1. Leslie says:

Me too! Pb chocolate chip all the way :).

21. lindsay says:

love single lady cookie idea. I just posted a GF sugar and spice cookie recipe but I would love to make one with PB snickerdoodles or something of that sort. Maybe PB and Maple spice cookies. Inspired by your breakfast, yum!

1. PB snickerdoodles? Woah, that sounds amazing! I thought about making chocolate ones, but never pb. You have a delicious mind :) :).

1. Melissa says:

I keep wanting to make a pumpkin snickerdoodle. Replace the fat with pumpkin to bind and such. I imagine them being VERY tasty in my brain.

Also, snickerdoodles are my favorites as I am a cinnamon fiend!

22. Cynthia says:

My favorite Christmas cookie mis a tie between snickerdoodles and gingerbread cookies. Yum!

23. Nothing beats PB on some kind of bread! I would eat that over oats any day! Well, unless maybe those oats had PB in them. As for cookies, I’m a fan of peanut butter cookies….but that should be obvious from my previous statements.

24. “there’s just something so comforting about creamy peanut butter, a soft muffin, and warm maple syrup”–
    Omg as a kid I LIVED off english muffins loaded up with buttter, jelly, PB and pretty much any sweet condiment. I miss them so much! Havent found a GF muffin that’s worth eating. Havent looked much either, though. haha :) Seriously there is NOTHING better than a warm muffie w/ PB.

One of the only things I could keep down for most of my pregnancy (even tho the gluten killed me) was english muffins with nut butter or vegan butter. Maybe that’s why Skylar likes toast/bread as much as she does!

25. Raw vegan gingerbread cookies!

26. Brandie says:

Chocolate chip, chocolate chip! *giggle* Yumm-O! I love your strawberry plate too, that’s so cute :) I always hate picturing my food cause I don’t have anything cute to dish it on LOL. Now I need an english muffin…..

1. I was so excited to find the plate about a yr ago… it was only like $3! Cute and cheap? Can’t beat that :).

27. Teresa says:

Since I’m a pretty seasonal eater, I’d say my cookie choice would have to include pumpkin. Maybe pumpkin spice, or oatmeal pumpkin, or pumpkin ginger, or pumpkin chocolate chip. Oooh they all sound so yummy!

28. Oooh gingerbread cookies! I’m making a vegan version soon to decorate and put on my Christmas tree :)
    But I’ve just realised something from your question …I am a HUGE peanut butter fan, but I’ve never had a PB cookie…! This must be rectified soon!!

29. Fi says:

Oatmeal raisin all the way!!! Love yjose cookies. Mmm! Also, maple syrup,almond butter,heated pears on oats/toast-amazeballs!! X

30. Claire says:

My favourite cookie would have to be a “Mexican Hot Chocolate Shortbread’, generally I’d argue that shortbread is overrated but this one blew my socks off. (How awesome is that saying :P). The key to this recipe was chocolate, cocoa, and cracked black pepper (I know you don’t like pepper but it didn’t taste like pepper in the cookie, more like chilli … which is another favourite, chocolate and chilli – though that could be a bit odd in a cookie it would work in brownies ;). Cinnamon and ginger are always beautiful in cookies then again as is chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate!
    Random question, is the news broadcasting anything about the flooding and locust plague in Australia? A friend in the UK told me that the BBC had done a few reports about it. I’m just wondering because I was astounded to hear people overseas asking about it when none of my friends here have had a conversation relating to the events. (Told ya it was random :P)

1. Woah, you had me at Mexican hot chocolate.”

Hmmm… no, I haven’t heard anything about it! And I watch/read the news a lot, so I’m surprised. But then again, all the news here is sadly turning into everything about Sarah Palin and reality tv and celeb gossip. Even Newsweek and Time! :-/

31. Ooh, make the single lady cookie a chocolate mint cookie! :) Haha, that’s my favorite type of cookie right now!

32. I’m not a big fan of oatmeal cookies, so I’d have to go with regular chocolate chip or sugar cookies. Can’t wait to see the Single Lady Cookie! :-)

33. Oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip!
    And for Christmas cookies… Mexican wedding cakes are really good!

34. Leslie says:

Beautiful photos, Katie! And I love that plate!

35. Susan says:

Mmm, you are so right, there are few things better than maple syrup.

One of the few cookies I like are snickerdoodles, but MAN, do I love them!

36. kristine says:

I used to eat oatmeal everyday, until I realized that it was one of the the culprits to all of my digestive and health issues. Found out I am gluten intolerant and the oats I was using where not gluten free (cheap bulk bag), Now I have this “hate” for oats because of the way it made me feel for so long! Even though there is gluten free oats, I just dont think I can ever eat it again, haha.

More for you, right :)?

1. Hehe oh I must take advantage. Otherwise, the oat population would grow much too big! 😉

37. Runeatrepeat says:

Chocolate chip every time :)

38. *Andrea* says:

maple and peanut butter are so delicious together! i love chocolate chip gooey cookies, especially when still warm! a white macadamia or peanut butter cookie will also get the job done 😉

39. Molly says:

I totally love your strawberry plate, Katie. And my favorite cookies (especially this time of year) are snickerdoodles. Ahhh sweet cinnamony bliss :)

40. Looks yummy!!!
    My favorite cookies are chocolate chip and peanut butter!!!!

41. BroccoliHut says:

Haha, I have that same strawberry plate! Pier One, right?
    As for Christmas cookies, my favorite is one I don’t know the name of–a family friend sends us an assortment of cookies every year, and I always hide the thumbprint ones with some sort of green icing in the middle. The cookie itself is rolled in granola–YUM!

1. Yes! And it was on sale too!! I dunno why some people will pay a lot of money for dishes when you can score such cute ones for under $5. (And then you have extra money to buy more hehe.)

42. Alyson says:

Yay! I (shockingly) didn’t feel like oatmeal this morning either! So crazy, right?!!! But, I know whatcha mean. IT’s sooooo good just to be able to throw something together after you’re done running! I need to go running again because I have definitely slacked off due to the cold weather (and colds!). It’s super lame when I feel like I don’t want to exercise (I mean, what’s wrong with me lately?!). Whenever winter comes around, something inside of me just wants to lay back under the blankets and drink hot chocolate all day long! (Maybe I was a bear or something in the past life and want hibernation? Well, a vegan bear…) :)

Much love Katie!

1. No, girl, I totally know where you’re coming from! I loooove running… but I sometimes have to force myself out there in the wintertime, which is something I NEVER have to do when it’s warm. In warm weather, I am excited right before a run, but when it’s cold I procrastinate indoors before my run, simply because I don’t want to face the cold. Even in 30 degrees, I don’t wear a jacket, because I know I’ll get hot quickly and regret it, but for the first 5 minutes or so (til I warm up), it’s not so fun. If only every morning could be 60!

1. Alyson says:

Hahahaha! Amen sister! :)

43. Tara says:

I have been craving a really good molasses cookie. I am terrible at modifying recipes myself, so I haven’t been able to make a vegan one!

44. I love sugar cookies for decorating, because I loooove decorating cookies. But for consuming, I like those little pretzel twists with the hug and M&M on top! I’m not sure if that counts as a cookie… but its like my favorite christmas treat!

45. Anonymous says:

I’ve always loved no bake cookies and recently made my own healthier variety:

But I also LOVE cinnamon and can not get enough of my snickerdoole cookies:

Which would you pick?

1. I’d have to go with anything with chocolate ;).

46. Moni'sMeals says:

SO many to choose from!

I will have to say my chocolate chip shortbread. Heavenly every time!

47. i made maple cinnamon melties today! such a great snack idea, thank you so much!

1. Aw yay! I’m so excited ya made them. They’re addictive!

48. At this time of year, Gingerbread. I usually spice mine with some Indian spices like garam masala for bite!

1. Woah, I love your idea to add garam masala. I’ll have to try it!! :)

It’s the classic one :)

50. bitt says:

I like plain old chocolate chip. It’s a classic for a reason! But I also love oatmeal raisin, snickerdoodles, ginger snap, and more.

51. katia says:

i happen to looooove white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies. they’re my favorite. I’m not so sure if they make vegan white chocolate :( but You always seem to find a way to “veganize” things, which is awesome :)