Going Raw for Lunch

I chickened out!

I had a post all ready to go for today. It was pre-scheduled last night, which I often do with posts. But while I slept, it bugged me. I realized that the post made me sound preachy and the whole tone was just so negative.

Plus, I decided that the week before Christmas isn’t exactly a good time for such a controversial post. Talk about squelching Christmas cheer :(. So I’ll publish the controversial post sometime in January. For now, you’re stuck reading about my most-recent restaurant outing:

Bliss raw burger

The other day, I returned for lunch at Bliss Raw Cafe.

I was back for seconds, only a week after my first trip to the raw restaurant. This time, I dragged along a new brave soul—my daddy! Above is a photo of his “Bliss Burger.” I wasn’t wild about this. But to be fair, I dislike sunflower seeds (which made up the base of the burger) so I was biased against it from the start. Poor burger! However, Daddy Dearest loved it.

Dallas raw vegan burger

Then again, he has no tastebuds ;).

For my own meal, I was so psyched to go for the Coconut-Kale Enchiladas… until the waiter brought a Primavera Bowl to a fellow patron. It looked so good that I changed my order on the spot! (I’m impulsive like that.) Primavera Bowl, it was.

Bliss Raw Cafe bowl

Sadly, this was nowhere near as good as their Raw Lasagna.

It was just… bland, seriously lacking in the sauce department. Not bad, but not outstanding. I ate the dish anyway, since it did have a whole lot of yummy veggie action going on: zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes, carrot, mushrooms, garlic, etc. (I asked for a plate, as it was difficult to eat the overflowing abundance of vegetables out of such a small bowl.)

Bliss Primavera Bowl

I should’ve stuck with my first choice of the enchiladas. No matter: I’ll have to go back to Bliss Raw Cafe again. And next time, I am definitely getting those enchiladas!

Have you had any negative restaurant experiences?
And if you find a certain restaurant dish you like, do you order it every time?

If I have a bad experience at a new restaurant, I probably won’t go back. But if I enjoyed the restaurant on a previous visit, I’ll usually give it another chance. Bliss will get another chance; their Raw Lasagna was so good!

Tags: ,

1. Meg says:

I’m excited for the controversial post, I love your insight, Katie 🙂

Awh man, enchiladas sounds SO good…such an excuse to go back ASAP 😉

Love you!

2. Pumpkin or gingerbread? Don’t make me choose!

3. Oooo, you are such a tease with your foreshadowing to your controversial post! 🙂

4. Eric Jaffa says:

Are you the only vegetarian in your family?

5. Well at least postponing your controversial post will give me something to look forward to in January! I do love a good bit of controversy! 😀
    I’m a (boring) creature of habit I’m afraid- if I find something I love I tend to stick to it!
    And GINGERBREAD gets my vote! 🙂

6. its funny how a lot of raw places are all named Bliss, theres a raw cafe here thats called Bliss hehe. Even tho theres a lot of great food, i actually find it hard not to have a negative experience..whether its too little salad, or they forget certain toppings, or even the pricing for the serving size can be really awful. they cell little desserts the size of my thumb for like 7 dollars.. it drives me mad because the food in general is usually spot on delicious. i love eating raw food but i dont like ordering it not just because of the price but a lot of the atmosphere in the cafe is “we are elite because we are the healthiest”… i know not everywhere is like that and u can get that at any restaurant really, but it just seems really profound there. but i definitely think the taste pulls me back in every now and again. funny how yesterday i was gonna go in for a raw lunch! maybe we’ve just got those raw cravings lol…

1. Yeah, I hear you on the “elitist attitude”… and high prices :(. I know that raw, organic nuts and such things are expensive, so I understand how their prices can be so high. But still, it doesn’t mean I want to pay that much for small servings on a regular basis. It’s nice for a rare treat :).

7. i always get the same thing at a place if I had a good experience with it! I am such a creature of habit– and usually I only go to the restaurant because of a certain dish i love!

8. Aww, I totally see the resemblance between you and your daddy! Sorry the primavera bowl came out a little disappointing, but the enchiladas sound to die for! I am horrible at deciding on what to order when I go to a new place…but I rarely stick with a favorite. Unless it’s something classic like Olive Garden’s minestrone or my favorite sesame tofu from the little Chinese place up the block, I’m all about trying new things!

9. L. says:

Hi,

I’m usually a lurker, so I hope my only time commenting comes out the right way. I think I have a good idea of what your controversial post is about (given the topics you posted a couple of weeks ago). If I’m right in my assumption (lest I live up to the “ass” part), just remember that people have different health reasons and preferences for trying out certain lifestyles, and that it’s not the same intent and focus for everyone. It can be all to easy to get preachy if you’ve never experience not thriving while doing that certain thing. Understanding and respect go a long way in proving your point. Just a thought that I hope will guide you in writing a piece you’re more comfortable with, as I’ve been waiting for this topic (again, if I’m right) since you mentioned it.

Anyway, I’ve never been to a raw restaurant, and I’m eager to try raw foods, but I’m often wary of the recipes I come by because– with the exception of raw sweets– most of the time they seem like they would be bland. But they do look quite appetizing! Either way, I’m a fan of salads, banana “ice cream,” and smoothies, so I don’t think I’m missing out on anything when it comes to nutrition.

And a quick thanks for the recipes you post! I always enjoy seeing how to use simple ingredients in a recipes that come together quick.

1. Hi L,
      Thank you so much for the advice. You guessed right. And it was so strange that my post came out sounding preachy, because I am NOT an elitist vegan at all. In fact, when people ask if I am offended at non-vegans, I always laugh because I only know like 2 other vegans in real life, so pretty much every single one of the people I love most (mom, dad, sister, best friends, relatives, etc) are omnivores. And I can’t imagine them being kinder, more compassionate people than they are. So I was waaaay upset when I re-read my post and thought, “Geez, this sounds so RUDE!” I definitely don’t want to hurt ANYone with my post (although sometimes offending people is inevitable; you never know what someone might find offensive, and you can’t always please everyone). But anyway, I definitely have respect for people of all dietary persuasions. I think we’re all just doing the best we can in this world to try and live peacefully. No one can take up every cause, and everyone is different. Thanks again for your comment :).

10. Brandie says:

Pumpkin!!! And that sucks about the bad food.. I’ve definitely experienced that – my parents and I went to a Mexican place out here for mom’s bday in August – is not vegan but they have like 101 things on their menu and will ‘veganize’ almost all of them! It’s SO hard to choose! So I got a vegan tamale plate… sounds SO good right? It was SUPER Bland. 🙁 My parents convinced me to send it back (it was icky bland) and I got some vegan taquitos instead which were AWEsome! Sometimes it pays to send the icky thing back lol.

1. Oh yes, definitely! Especially if you have the time to wait. I thought about it… but my dad eats so darn fast, and I would’ve felt more awkward having to eat alone while he waited :(.

11. Katherine says:

Can’t wait to hear this controversial post. I wish you would have posted it, but I understand why you didn’t.
    I actually have never been to a raw restaurant. Vegan, yes, but never raw. I don’t like eating out much. I can’t eat out much because of the whole fact that I live at a boarding school four hours away from my family, but even if I didn’t. Eating out is rather a high stress thing for me as I am *trying* to recover from an eating disorder and a heap of other things, but now I am rambling so I’ll shut up.
    But, the food does look amazing, even if it wasn’t. I will have to try a raw restaurant one of these days i.e when I am out of the south and in college lol.

And gingerbread all the way.
    I have never seen someone use gingerbread in a really creative way though (not really pumpkin either though), but they are amazing flavors all the same.

12. Gingerbread sounds good to me!!!!!
    Also, I usually have a favorite dish at a restaurant that I will keep ordering just because I’m too wimpy to try something else! =P

13. Bummer about the entrees. Honestly, that primavera looks bland 🙂

Yes, I’ve definitely had some bad restauarant experiences, who hasn’t? But I love the adventure of eating out. Though I have some staples I crave (ie – pho), I definitely try to vary my order so I can try new things. My husband tends to order the same things (selection of three or so) over and over, but when he tried the lemongrass tofu I ordered the other day … lets just say he “tried something new” on our next visit!

14. that looks soo good. I wish we had a raw cafe around me I would love to try one.

15. melissa @ the delicate place says:

haha i love the red vest! oh yeah. i’ve had rubber seafood i.e. waaaaay overcooked to the point where i couldn’t eat it 🙁 you know my vote is for the gingerbread!!

16. Virginia @ YtotheUmmy says:

Gingerbread! I love that stuff.

17. Blog is the New Black says:

I hate “restaurant regret” when you order something that sounds do delish and you’re totally disappointed! 🙁 If I go to a restaurant, I try to yelp it whether it’s good or bad!

18. Krystina (Basil & Wine) says:

The coconut kale enchiladas sound amazing.

When I go to my favorite raw restaurant, I always order the same dessert: s’mores. There is absolutely no other dessert on earth for me.

1. I have ALWAYS wanted to try a raw s’more! Wish somewhere around me sold them. Enjoy one for me? 🙂

19. grocery goddess jen says:

Oooh, looking forward to the controversial post. I love drama!

I went to a raw restaurant once and it was okay, but I’d have to try it again to decide if I really liked it. I do like raw food, but what I ate that day just contained way too many nuts. Everything was some traditional food made of nuts.

Also, as far as trying new restaurants, the sweetie and I have our favorites that we just go to over and over again. There are about 7 -10 that we love, and we just kinda cycle through them! It’s hard to get us to go somewhere new.

1. Hehe well, if something works for you, why change? I am the same way. Even when I go to NYC, where there are hundreds of veg restaurants, I always want to hit up the same ones!

20. Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) says:

I am the worst person to ask about restaurants b/c the older I get, the better of a cook I get, the more I feel sooo underwhelmed when I go out. Not to mention, it’s very pricey to eat out (well, the way I want to eat it seems to cost way too much for way too little but i digress) anyway tho, yes, I am consistently underwhelmed when I go out..but large part is lack of amazing vegan AND GF options.

Vegetarian food that uses gluten, very easy to come by. i.e. veggie lasgna, pasta, etc. Vegan food that is still gluten based, again, pretty easy. Vegan + Gf…tricky.

The food you showed *looks* pretty but that’s not always the way it tastes 🙂

And way to listen to your intuition about the post…but, i am curious what you wanted to talk about!