Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

Conversation on Christmas Eve:

Me: Mom, are y’all sleeping in tomorrow? I was thinking of going out running, but if you want to open presents early, I won’t.
Mom: Ooh good! You go running. Then I can make bacon for breakfast and it won’t bother you.

So out I went. And upon my return, I made my own (bacon-less) breakfast: Zucchini Bread Oatmeal.

I wanted to put a Christmas twist on the oatmeal.

Red options abounded: strawberries, pom seeds, raspberries… but what about green?? I wasn’t feeling adventurous enough to try spinach oatmeal. So zucchini it was! A squirt of soyatoo topped off the Christmas fiesta. I also mixed in some coconut butter; you could stir in some Healthy Cream Cheese Icing.

Christmas Oatmeal

Obviously you wouldn’t normally find strawberries in zucchini bread. But I added them in order to keep with the Christmas theme. And although cacao nibs have nothing to do with Christmas, the chocoholic in me had to add them too!

Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

(serves 1)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 cups milk of choice (I like almond milk)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 a very small zucchini, grated very finely
  • sprinkle of cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener as desired
  • 1 tbsp walnuts
  • 1-2 tbsp chocolate chips
  • optional: non-dairy creamer
  • optional: I like to stir melted coconut butter over the top

Cook your oats–on the stove or in the microwave–with the salt and water, stopping before all the water is absorbed. (I microwave for 4 minutes, then leave in the microwave 5 more minutes. Time will depend on your microwave wattage, so add more time if you have a low-wattage microwave.) Fridge overnight, until the water is absorbed.

This makes the oat size double, the idea behind the Voluminous Oatmeal Trick.

Right before eating, add all remaining ingredients and heat. Stir in the creamer (or more milk) if desired.

vegan tree

Of course, your zucchini bread oatmeal will probably be more enjoyable if you do not have a certain sister who stares at you throughout your entire breakfast-eating, saying, “Hurry up so we can open presents!” After breakfast, I made her wait even longer so I could at least run a brush through my knotted post-run hair! (And yes, I totally did change back into my pajamas after running.)

What’s your favorite way to eat oatmeal?

I can’t choose just one; I have a bazillion Healthy Oatmeal Recipes!

Tags: , , ,

1. I went outside for a 4 mile run on Christmas morning, my first run outdoors in ages. It felt so good to start the day off right!

2. Melissa says:

I did not. 🙁 I ran a marathon on Sunday (19th) and was in a week long rest/recovery period since I’d just about destroyed myself doing two marathons with only 8 weeks in between. In that period I raced 26.2, raced 13.1, ran 14, 16, 20 and then raced 26.2 – and those were just my LONG runs. There were a handful of shorties in there too, from 4-8 milers. I needed a break! It sucked doing it – I felt so lazy and down on myself! – but I know my body desperately needed the down time.

Started back up a bit yesterday, though. Some cardio plyo intervals and a short weight session. I’m going to continue with low impact stuff (I hurt my achilles and foot doing the marathon) like the bike or elliptical for most of this week and I’ve got a 5K race on New Year’s Day. Want to be able to run that without reinjury! 😀

1. Love how you say your “short” runs are 8 miles. You’re a running machine, girl! 😉

1. Melissa says:

Haha. After all those 16-26.2 milers, even 10 feels short!
        I’m like “oh, I’m done? I only had to run 1:40 rather than 3-5 hours today? Okay!” 🙂

3. I slept in, so I am most definitely trying this breakfast this morning! 🙂 And I did exercise, after we did presents and such as a family, we all went to our gym and I took a KILLER Spinning class. It was nothing short of awesome

4. Thetreadmilldiaries says:

Love the color in that bowl of oatmeal, Katie. Very festive.
    I really like to get in a workout the morning of a holiday so I don’t feel so bad if I deviate from my standard eating routine. I was able to get in a 45 min power walk in this year. Good for you for getting in a run. And I put my PJ’sback on too when I was done. They’re too comfy not to.

1. Hehe so true. They just sit there, calling to you. Who knew pajamas could talk, right? 😉

5. anonymous says:

Not gonna lie, I’m not sure I’d want to eat zucchini oatmeal. But YOU look soooooooooo gorgeous!

1. Thanks!! And lol, you sound like my mom. “You put WHAT in your oatmeal?!?” 🙂

6. Gina says:

I didn’t exercise on Christmas since my brother woke me up at 7am to open gifts and then it was food prep right after.

I think my favorite oats recipe is sweet potato oats. I make whipped banana oats, dice up some sweet potato and add a peanut flour sauce on top. So yummy.

7. Jess says:

I did exercise on Christmas 🙂 When everyone was resting/chilling I hit up the P90X!

That bowl of oats looks delicious!

8. ~Jessica~ says:

I did 14 miles on xmas, in sub-zero temps and snow. But then again, I did eat obscene amounts to make up for it…or should that be the other way around?

Love your festive oatmeal 🙂

My fav combo is to put peanut flour mixed with cocoa at the base of a bowl (can’t be trusted with PB!) and then ladle hot oats on top, so it ‘melts’ the peanut base. Then I top with jam and banana. Mmm, hot and melty…

9. I love your mom’s logic! Bacon rocks 😉

10. Camille says:

Haha, I have been known to change back in to my PJs after running too 🙂 That’s why I love running when it’s cold out… I barely even break a sweat!

11. Pshhh, I would NEVER run on Christmas. I would be too excited to open presents. 😛

12. katie says:

nope no exercising for me, just family time. day after i got a great run in though, i love feeling like a warrior in the winter when it’s cold out, and very few people are brave enough to head out. i was also motivated by some great new outdoor running gear that i received as gifts. did you get any cool new running products/ gear??
    banana whipped oatmeal, cinnamon, vanilla, topped with AB and jam, and something crunchy! Love your creative recipes katie!

1. Ooh me too! I feel all cold when I first get out there, but by the time I get back I’m warmed up… and the best part is feeling all warm and cozy afterward, with a yummy breakfast :). I did get some really fun workout presents: a baby ipod I can clip to my shirt, and a really fun sports bra. (I’ll hopefully get a post up later this week.) I’d love to know what you got, too. I’m always interested in gift ideas :).

1. katie says:

thats great! i’ll be training for my first marathon in vermont this winter, so I received 2 really warm/ dry fit nike running jackets. i tested one out on my run, and it made it completely bearable. also just new sneakers, same as i have now because i love them! no backing out of my race now 🙂

1. Wow, kudos to you, girl! I feel hardcore if (like yesterday) I go out in 18 degrees. Don’t know if I could handle running in Vermont winters… although I bet it’s really pretty to run up there! 🙂

13. ahahah i love the festive zucchini! yes i did a little run christmas morning before everyone else woke up! i am an EARRRRLYY bird 🙂

14. Erika says:

girrrrl you are so pretty! and so is your oatmeal 🙂 ha ha

1. Aww thanks! (And the oatmeal thanks you too lol!)

15. Liz says:

This looks so good! I’ve never been a huge oatmeal fan, but with all your crazy creations i’m starting to like it more and more!

16. I basically just looove oatmeal!!!! Its so fun to add stuff to, because its like a blank canvas! =D

17. Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) says:

This is creative! But all your recipes are creative which keeps things fun and interesting!! 🙂

We are headed home today. Very long travel day. A mere 22 hours or so, but who’s counting.

See you on the flip side!

And oh the comment reply back to me about some guy (pop culture reference..maybe something to do w/ garlic and teen girls..sorry this sounds so random!) I accidentally hit delete before I could reply back to you. But that one sailed over my head…haha 🙂

1. Haha no worries. It was just me being strange. Have a safe trip!!

18. Blog is the New Black says:

I most certainly did NOT exercise on Christmas! 😉

19. Freya says:

I did 7miles on Christmas day, before anyone else had even woken up 🙂 soo peaceful and calm, it was wonderful!
    My favourite oatmeal: either banana, cinnamon, peanut butter, ooorrrr carob powder, cooked squash (kabocha or onion sq) and lots n lots of soya milk! & cinnamon 🙂

1. hehe that’s my family too! I get back, and they’re still sleeping. My sister thinks she’s still a teenager, always sleeping til ten!