Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

Conversation on Christmas Eve:

Me: Mom, are y’all sleeping in tomorrow? I was thinking of going out running, but if you want to open presents early, I won’t.
Mom: Ooh good! You go running. Then I can make bacon for breakfast and it won’t bother you.

So out I went. And upon my return, I made my own (bacon-less) breakfast: Zucchini Bread Oatmeal.

I wanted to put a Christmas twist on the oatmeal.

Red options abounded: strawberries, pom seeds, raspberries… but what about green?? I wasn’t feeling adventurous enough to try spinach oatmeal. So zucchini it was! A squirt of soyatoo topped off the Christmas fiesta. I also mixed in some coconut butter; you could stir in some Healthy Cream Cheese Icing.

Christmas Oatmeal

Obviously you wouldn’t normally find strawberries in zucchini bread. But I added them in order to keep with the Christmas theme. And although cacao nibs have nothing to do with Christmas, the chocoholic in me had to add them too!

Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

(serves 1)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 cups milk of choice (I like almond milk)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 a very small zucchini, grated very finely
  • sprinkle of cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener as desired
  • 1 tbsp walnuts
  • 1-2 tbsp chocolate chips
  • optional: non-dairy creamer
  • optional: I like to stir melted coconut butter over the top

Cook your oats–on the stove or in the microwave–with the salt and water, stopping before all the water is absorbed. (I microwave for 4 minutes, then leave in the microwave 5 more minutes. Time will depend on your microwave wattage, so add more time if you have a low-wattage microwave.) Fridge overnight, until the water is absorbed.

This makes the oat size double, the idea behind the Voluminous Oatmeal Trick.

Right before eating, add all remaining ingredients and heat. Stir in the creamer (or more milk) if desired.

vegan tree

Of course, your zucchini bread oatmeal will probably be more enjoyable if you do not have a certain sister who stares at you throughout your entire breakfast-eating, saying, “Hurry up so we can open presents!” After breakfast, I made her wait even longer so I could at least run a brush through my knotted post-run hair! (And yes, I totally did change back into my pajamas after running.)

What’s your favorite way to eat oatmeal?

I can’t choose just one; I have a bazillion Healthy Oatmeal Recipes!

Tags: , , ,

1. I went outside for a 4 mile run on Christmas morning, my first run outdoors in ages. It felt so good to start the day off right!

2. This is creative! But all your recipes are creative which keeps things fun and interesting!! :)

We are headed home today. Very long travel day. A mere 22 hours or so, but who’s counting.

See you on the flip side!

And oh the comment reply back to me about some guy (pop culture reference..maybe something to do w/ garlic and teen girls..sorry this sounds so random!) I accidentally hit delete before I could reply back to you. But that one sailed over my head…haha :)

1. Haha no worries. It was just me being strange. Have a safe trip!!

3. I most certainly did NOT exercise on Christmas! 😉

4. Melissa says:

I did not. :( I ran a marathon on Sunday (19th) and was in a week long rest/recovery period since I’d just about destroyed myself doing two marathons with only 8 weeks in between. In that period I raced 26.2, raced 13.1, ran 14, 16, 20 and then raced 26.2 – and those were just my LONG runs. There were a handful of shorties in there too, from 4-8 milers. I needed a break! It sucked doing it – I felt so lazy and down on myself! – but I know my body desperately needed the down time.

Started back up a bit yesterday, though. Some cardio plyo intervals and a short weight session. I’m going to continue with low impact stuff (I hurt my achilles and foot doing the marathon) like the bike or elliptical for most of this week and I’ve got a 5K race on New Year’s Day. Want to be able to run that without reinjury! 😀

1. Love how you say your “short” runs are 8 miles. You’re a running machine, girl! 😉

1. Melissa says:

Haha. After all those 16-26.2 milers, even 10 feels short!
        I’m like “oh, I’m done? I only had to run 1:40 rather than 3-5 hours today? Okay!” :)

5. I slept in, so I am most definitely trying this breakfast this morning! :) And I did exercise, after we did presents and such as a family, we all went to our gym and I took a KILLER Spinning class. It was nothing short of awesome

6. Thetreadmilldiaries says:

Love the color in that bowl of oatmeal, Katie. Very festive.
    I really like to get in a workout the morning of a holiday so I don’t feel so bad if I deviate from my standard eating routine. I was able to get in a 45 min power walk in this year. Good for you for getting in a run. And I put my PJ’sback on too when I was done. They’re too comfy not to.

1. Hehe so true. They just sit there, calling to you. Who knew pajamas could talk, right? 😉

7. kristine says:

Just a nice outdoor walk for me :)

I <3 Zuchinni

I made a wicked good side dish with zucchini, avocado, asparagus and other yummies the other day. If your interested, it is posted on my blog :)

8. anonymous says:

Not gonna lie, I’m not sure I’d want to eat zucchini oatmeal. But YOU look soooooooooo gorgeous!

1. Thanks!! And lol, you sound like my mom. “You put WHAT in your oatmeal?!?” :)

9. Gina says:

I didn’t exercise on Christmas since my brother woke me up at 7am to open gifts and then it was food prep right after.

I think my favorite oats recipe is sweet potato oats. I make whipped banana oats, dice up some sweet potato and add a peanut flour sauce on top. So yummy.

10. Jess says:

I did exercise on Christmas :) When everyone was resting/chilling I hit up the P90X!

That bowl of oats looks delicious!

11. ~Jessica~ says:

I did 14 miles on xmas, in sub-zero temps and snow. But then again, I did eat obscene amounts to make up for it…or should that be the other way around?

Love your festive oatmeal :)

My fav combo is to put peanut flour mixed with cocoa at the base of a bowl (can’t be trusted with PB!) and then ladle hot oats on top, so it ‘melts’ the peanut base. Then I top with jam and banana. Mmm, hot and melty…

12. I love your mom’s logic! Bacon rocks 😉

13. Camille says:

Haha, I have been known to change back in to my PJs after running too :) That’s why I love running when it’s cold out… I barely even break a sweat!

14. Pshhh, I would NEVER run on Christmas. I would be too excited to open presents. 😛

15. katie says:

nope no exercising for me, just family time. day after i got a great run in though, i love feeling like a warrior in the winter when it’s cold out, and very few people are brave enough to head out. i was also motivated by some great new outdoor running gear that i received as gifts. did you get any cool new running products/ gear??
    banana whipped oatmeal, cinnamon, vanilla, topped with AB and jam, and something crunchy! Love your creative recipes katie!

1. Ooh me too! I feel all cold when I first get out there, but by the time I get back I’m warmed up… and the best part is feeling all warm and cozy afterward, with a yummy breakfast :). I did get some really fun workout presents: a baby ipod I can clip to my shirt, and a really fun sports bra. (I’ll hopefully get a post up later this week.) I’d love to know what you got, too. I’m always interested in gift ideas :).

1. katie says:

thats great! i’ll be training for my first marathon in vermont this winter, so I received 2 really warm/ dry fit nike running jackets. i tested one out on my run, and it made it completely bearable. also just new sneakers, same as i have now because i love them! no backing out of my race now :)

1. Wow, kudos to you, girl! I feel hardcore if (like yesterday) I go out in 18 degrees. Don’t know if I could handle running in Vermont winters… although I bet it’s really pretty to run up there! :)

16. ahahah i love the festive zucchini! yes i did a little run christmas morning before everyone else woke up! i am an EARRRRLYY bird :)

17. Erika says:

girrrrl you are so pretty! and so is your oatmeal :) ha ha

1. Aww thanks! (And the oatmeal thanks you too lol!)

18. Namaste Gurl says:

Mmmm, zucchini oatmeal, sounds right up my alley. I would’ve added some coconut butter, chocolate, banana and cinnamon as well :-)

No exercising on Christmas for me this year– I usually run every morning, but I decided to take the day off and fully rest and enjoy the day with my family. That’s what Christmas is about, no? :-)

19. That porridge definitely sounds different! I think my favourite way to eat porridge is your banana brulee porridge, but I like to add cocoa powder (or chocolate), raw almond butter and cinnamon as well. :)

20. Liz says:

This looks so good! I’ve never been a huge oatmeal fan, but with all your crazy creations i’m starting to like it more and more!

21. It was snowing here and I’m a wuss for running in I opted out for exercising on Christmas. Props to you for doing so though! 😛

22. I basically just looove oatmeal!!!! Its so fun to add stuff to, because its like a blank canvas! =D

23. Freya says:

I did 7miles on Christmas day, before anyone else had even woken up :) soo peaceful and calm, it was wonderful!
    My favourite oatmeal: either banana, cinnamon, peanut butter, ooorrrr carob powder, cooked squash (kabocha or onion sq) and lots n lots of soya milk! & cinnamon :)

1. hehe that’s my family too! I get back, and they’re still sleeping. My sister thinks she’s still a teenager, always sleeping til ten!

24. Yummy oatmeal as always Katie!

25. Fi says:

Face way to eat oatmeal? Wow, to answer that would just be an insult yi all the yum oat toppings there are out there!! I think almond butter would be inclusive in mine tho! I did some yoga and a family walk on Xmas day. X

26. Moni'sMeals says:

super clever recipe~
    Glad your holiday was so nice!

27. Maddy says:

I got in a short run on Christmas (about 2 1/2 miles). I was up in the mountains on vacation with my whole family so I took my dog for a run, but he’s getting old and got tired after a short period, so I took him home. I wanted to keep going because it was so beautiful outside but my mom would’ve had a panic-attack if I went running without the dog OR the pepper-spray! :) Moms will be moms.

1. Hahahahaha oh my gosh, that is SO my mom too! “Katie, take your phone. Katie, maybe you should run with pepper spray. Katie, should I get you a whistle?” It makes me smile, because I definitely know she cares :). Gotta love moms!

28. The only excercise for me on Christmas was cleaning the barn/taking care of all of my animals. Other than that, my exercise was the terrible strain of opening presents and watching movies. 😉

It’s funny, I posted the same oatmeal question on my blog this morning. For me, pretty much any oatmeal combination is amazing! But some of my favorites are the pesto oats I blogged about this morning, oats topped with yogurt, oats with sunflower seed butter and cinnamon, oats with chocolate peanut butter and raspberries……….and the list goes on and on and on.

1. Pesto oats? Woah, off to check those out… :)

29. Great idea on the recipe! The pic of you looks like you’re photoshopped in :)

1. Nope, I was really there. Not sure why you think I wasn’t.

1. no, no I didn’t mean that at all! It just looks that way; sorry I’m not doubting you or anything

30. Disturbed says:

I love oatmeal, but I have never really made it any fun ways. If I eat them, I usually just eat it plain with maybe a tiny bit of cinnamon, but that is about it. I’m boring-but my breakfast is consistent of bran flakes cereal with a cup of almond milk (vanilla and unsweetened). Eventually I will spice my breakfast up a litt.e

31. Lol, zucchini and oatmeal?? I’m not sure I could do that combo.

I, sadly, did not workout on Christmas, or really at all over Christmas break. It was too icy/snowy outside, and the treadmill I normally would have access to was not around. All I brought was running gear, I wasn’t prepared :-/ Kudos to everyone who worked out on Christmas!

32. That oatmeal looks yummy! I didn’t work out on Christmas day because I don’t belong to a gym in my Mom’s town, and I’m too much of a wuss to run in the snow! 😉

33. BroccoliHut says:

Love your festive oats!
    I did exercise on Christmas, but I didn’t get to run outside–the snow/ice prevented that!

34. Maryann says:

My current fave way to eat oats is with pumpkin stirred in and some coconut shreds on top. I love zucchini but putting it in oatmeal has never occured to me..hmm not sure if im that brave :) I didnt do a typical workout on Christmas but did enjoy a 4.5 mile walk with my boyfriend!

35. I definitely did not exercise on Christmas! I considered going on Christmas Eve, but I was feeling lazy :)

36. Claire says:

The only excercise I got on Christmas was all the running around the house and toing and froing between the table and kitchen! Probably the equivelant of an hour in the gym 😛 Hope you enjoyed your run.

37. Albizia says:

Yes, I exercised on Christmas. I just love my routine and exercising actually can be even more fun when one is watching a Christmas movie while doing it :)

38. My favorite way to eat oatmeal lately is to turn it into a “pie” with a brancake crust. I have done a chocolate coconut version, a pumpkin pie version and recently a blueberry pie version. I can’t get enough! Can I count the 20 minutes of stair climbing I did to put my 8 month old to sleep as exercise? If so, I totally exercised on Christmas! 😉

1. 20 minutes?! Heck yeah, I’d say that counts lol. I know people who are exhausted after ONE flight of stairs! :)

39. Alyssa says:

I wish I had the energy to run on Christmas! I am usually just pacing back and forth in the kitchen until breakfast is ready!

40. Caitlin says:

Yay, veggies in oatmeal! You’re awesome. Also, I didn’t know you could just kinda put cacao nibs in stuff, I’ve only been putting them in coffee when I’m not too lazy to use my French press! The smell threw me. Tasty, though! My daughter loved it! (she’s 18 months old and isn’t huge on veggies at the moment, lol)

41. Tyera says:

You should try oatmeal w/ greens. Spinach oatmeal is great! I also like swiss chard.